Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vaginal atrophy  (Read 1547 times)

purplebee

Vaginal atrophy
« on: July 14, 2019, 01:53:27 PM »

I'm hoping someone can advise please..my Mother (91 years) has had problems with her vagina for years, we have tried everything, she takes Lyrica for the pain every day, morphine patches a few years ago and even beta blocker injections, she says nothing has eased the pain and some days it's better than others... so fast forward, she is now in a Care home and I have spoken to her new GP, who was lovely and supportive,  I told her about Mum's history I and suggested it could be post menopausal atrophy, the GP agreed and she has prescribed Mum an HRT cream to try first which has been administered by the District Nurse a couple of days ago. I called my Mum today to see how she was getting on with the cream and she said that it has made the pain worse.. is this possible?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »

Yes.  Depends whether there are splits in the vagina and how dry it is - some ladies are sensitive to the fillers/coatigns.  What has Mum been prescribed, it should be a VA insert ....... maybe find out what it is and suggest Yes or Slyc products.  It can take a while.  Perhaps LIVE yoghurt up there if your Mum is up for getting some moisture. 

At lest this is being addressed.  I dread to think how many ladies World Wide are sitting, continually uncomfy and dribbling  :'(

purplebee

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 02:44:40 PM »

Hi,thanks for your reply. She has been examined numerous times and just a couple of weeks ago by the District Nurse, if there were any splits/tears,  would  the Nurse have seen them? I think she is using Vagifem and if this doesn't work then a steroid cream.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 03:45:07 PM »

Not steroids for long-term use in an already dry area  :-\ - maybe read the vaginal atrophy thread to get ideas.  Make notes  ;).  Tears etc. happen and not all would be seen in the folds. 

Let us know how Mum gets on!

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 03:54:17 PM »

Hi purplebee. If your mum has been given a cream, would that be Ovestin? Vagifem is a pessary. The usual thing for both would be to insert daily for 14 days and then reduce the dose to whatever suits,  at the very least twice weekly. Ovestin can also be used on the vulva. I agree with CLKD that she should have a vaginal moisturiser as well, preferably Yes VM. You may have to buy this, although single use applicators might be available on prescription. Don't let them use Replens.

Has she never been prescribed local oestrogen before, only painkillers?

JP x

purplebee

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 04:04:06 PM »

The GP said the cream (Yes,it would be Ovestin) should be used 3 times a day to begin with for 2 weeks.Also E45 cream is used daily. Never been prescribed oestrogen before her new GP was surprised by this. I hope they can help her.This has been going on for years. :'(

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »

So glad she is getting treatment now, but to have to wait until you're 91,  :o . Leaves me speechless. Your mum has been badly let down but at least the current GP realises this. CLKD is right about the numbers being left to suffer in care homes. That aside, I do hope your mum starts to feel more comfortable eventually. She is fortunate to have a daughter like you!

JP x

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 06:11:48 PM »

This has made me very sad & angry this lady is on my VA group & I am going to tweet & Instagram it, as I wrote about this in my book & I no it's a problem & elderly ladies are being brushed aside & ignored.

Almost every blog I write or video I do I mention the elderly and VA.😏

Foxylady

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 06:40:14 PM »

Go for it Maryjane, def behind you in that!!

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 06:43:17 PM »

This has made me very sad & angry this lady is on my VA group & I am going to tweet & Instagram it, as I wrote about this in my book & I no it's a problem & elderly ladies are being brushed aside & ignored.

Almost every blog I write or video I do I mention the elderly and VA.😏
:thankyou:
Maryjane, I was glad to hear you know about this and will tweet etc. It is outrageous when you read what painkillers she has had, yet no appropriate treatment all those years  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 08:03:40 PM »

I think many of our elders may not associate VA with menopause - so suffer or apply their own treatments. 

Let us know how your Mum gets on ...... hopefully 3 times a day will ease symptoms ASAP - I use 'ovestin' but if symptoms niggle I put a dose in mid-afternoon and again in the evening. 

purplebee

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 09:01:02 AM »

Thank you all so much for your advice and help. I will endeavour to get the right treatment for my Mum whatever it takes!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 10:10:13 AM »

:foryou:  once your Mum gets sorted it might be worth while suggesting other ladies are considered for treatment, also buy a copy of Mary Jane's book to hand to the Staff ;-)