Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Shortness of breath - desperate  (Read 3807 times)

Jules53

Shortness of breath - desperate
« on: July 14, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »

Hi all

Have been having a hard time lately. Have had bad anxiety a d feeling depressed, but my main worry is not being a let to take a deep breath. The doctors say it's anxiety and I've been on several antidepressants which just made me feel worse. I was on Femseven Conti until they discontinued it and felt fine on that.

The latest HRT I tried was Evorel 50 patches a d Utrogestan 100 vaginally but that also made me feel bad. I wake up in the morning sweating and nauseous a d all day I can take a good deep breath. No hot flushes to speak of during the day but tingling in my arms and feeling hot.

Has anyone else had this a d could it be hormones? Am desperate for an answer.

Thanks x

Joaniepat

Re: Shortness of breath - desperate
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »

The feeling of not being able to take a deep breath is probably hyperventilation, leading to not enough carbon dioxide in the blood (we need a certain amount). It is common enough with anxiety. Get a paper bag and screw the top up a bit. Exhale into the bag, and then inhale the 'stale' air. Do this a few times and it should ease.

JP x

Jules53

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »

Thanks Joaniepat

It's all the time. I have tried that and do breathing exercises and it's still there. It feels like I would imagine it's like to have asthma. I wondered if it's hormonal or just plain anxiety.

So exasperated by it😓.

Thanks for your reply x

Jari

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 09:22:59 AM »

Hi Jules.... don't worry!! But, stop taking whatever hrt you are taking, if you're taking any currently??

I took hrt gel and utrogestan for 2 months and had exactly these symptoms. After about a month it started with difficulty breathing but after 2 months it was full on gasping for breath. Really horrible and frightening. So, I do know how you feel.

Good news is, my gynae told me to stop the hrt immediately and sure enough, within days the horrible symptoms disappeared.

Are you currently taking hrt, if so, how long have you been taking it?

Jules53

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 09:27:22 AM »

Hi Jari

No I'm not taking any HRT. I stopped it about 3 or 4 weeks ago, so it's not that. I wonder if it is an imbalance of hormones and I actually do need it.

It's ruining my life and I've been off work 10 weeks.  Thanks anyway x

Jari

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 09:41:54 AM »

Hi Jules,

It sounds like a hormone imbalance. Why did you stop taking hrt and how long did you take it for?

Are you on any other medication currently? X

Jules53

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 09:50:29 AM »

It was making me more anxious and itchy.

Have just stopped taking Escitalopram (an antidepressant). I was on Prozac before that. I take a very low dose of Diazepam if I need it but not very often.   I am in such a mess a d the doctors are at a loss too!😓.

Thanks x

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 09:55:32 AM »

https://jeanhailes.org.au/contents/documents/Health_Professionals/Menopause_symptom_scale_Greene_Climacteric.pdf

Hi Jules

Sorry to hear you are still struggling.  Have a look at the above link and fill it in.  You will see that "breathing difficulties" is a symptom of menopause.

As you are now off all medication, it would seem that your symptoms are due to menopause and HRT should help.  But you will need to take the hrt for 3 months to see if it works.  My first hrt didn't work even though I took it rigorously for 3 months and my symptoms didn't improve, infact some of them got worse.  Once I was on the right type and dose of hrt I began to improve.

I really feel for you, because I know exactly how you feel.  I had breathing problems and felt the i wasn't getting enough oxygen into my lungs.

Take care xx
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:06:08 AM by Dotty »

Tc

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »

Jules. Anxiety can do this. But have you had your b12 levels checked? I get this from anxiety but it was worse when my b12 levels were low. If you've  stopped the AD suddenly  it could be an immediate   withdrawal symptom which will pass.

A little tip I got from an anxiety workshop I once went to. . When you do your breathing excersises clasp your hands behind you round the middle of your back. If you're sitting pull your arms round the back of the chair behind you. It opens up the chest and makes deep breathing more effective.

Best wishes xx

Jari

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »

Would you consider maybe not taking any hormones or drugs for a 2-3 months? Keep a diary and see if you improve as they leave your system.
The hormones from hrt can take a good 2 months to leave the system.

Drink lots of water to flush the system.
Plan a good balanced diet with small portions.
Try to get out for some excercise like a brisk 30 mins walk daily.
Try a herbal tea instead of coffee ( if not already)
Have relaxing baths with magnesium salts that absorb into body. ( good for anxiety)

Give it a try for 2-3 months and see if this helps.

Currently, it's frightening to have difficulty breathing, but I do think as the drugs leave your system, you should feel better. Try to get out for a walk to take your mind off it a bit. It will start to improve!! Xx

Jules53

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 10:21:00 AM »

Thanks Jari. I am doing a lot of that already. The anxiety is all consuming and I am finding it quite hard to get through each day. I think I need something for the short term but not sure what.

Thanks so much x

Dorothy

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 12:14:35 PM »

Is there an NHS Stress Control course in your area?  I've been attending one for the past 5 weeks (last one tomorrow) and they're brilliant.  One of the issues they cover is breathing and how to control it, especially when you feel panicky or breathless.  The courses are free, you don't have to register or share anything personal, just sit there and listen.

Also, something very interesting they mentioned last week (which was the breathing one) - panic & stress are made worse if you have too much oxygen in your blood compared to Carbon Dioxide.  Women who are pre-menstrual or menopausal usually have higher levels of oxygen, so are already predisposed to feeling panicky, purely because of the physical imbalance.

Joaniepat

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 01:18:49 PM »

Also, something very interesting they mentioned last week (which was the breathing one) - panic & stress are made worse if you have too much oxygen in your blood compared to Carbon Dioxide.  Women who are pre-menstrual or menopausal usually have higher levels of oxygen, so are already predisposed to feeling panicky, purely because of the physical imbalance.

How interesting Dorothy, I can remember the breathing thing at about the time I hit puberty and my Mum hauling me off to the doctor's. She thought I had something dire! Eventually I discovered the paper bag trick and it worked for me.

JP x

Jules53

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 01:33:52 PM »

Thanks Dorothy- very interesting.

I have just Googled and it doesn't look like there's a course in Gloucestershire where I live. I am having breathing physiotherapy and have been practicing the exercises but they don't seem to be working.  I'm also having counselling and CBT so am trying everything. Have you suffered with the shortness of breath in meno and  are you on HRT?

Thanks again x

Jari

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 01:54:20 PM »

Jules, how long did you take hrt for? After how long did you notice it making you more anxious? X
Pages: [1] 2