Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anyone taking Menopause Mood Relief tablets (H&B) and Starflower Oil together?  (Read 3081 times)

BoilingKettle

hi there,

I just started taking the Holland and Barrett Menopause Mood Relief tablets ( they contain St. Johns Wort and Black Cohosh) and 1000mg of starflower oil with Vit B6.

Just wondering if anyone has been taking this compination for a while and how they are doing on it?

tks a lot

catlover68

Hi boilingkettle

I take 1000mgs starflower oil and a menopace tablet. I also take a high dose of magnesium before bed. I'm sure it does help but I'm finding my hot flushes are increasing now and waking me at night. I may start to look at black cohosh for my sweats but need to check if I can take this as I'm also on citalopram and zolmatriptan for migraines. I cannot take hrt as it doesn't agree with me.

BoilingKettle

Thanks Catlover - did you find that it helped with anxiety? I am getting really bad night sweats but also morning anxiety through the roof  :( hoping this combi will help.

catlover68

The only thing that's helped with my anxiety is citalopram. It's not ideal for everyone but I find a low dose keeps me on an even keel though my anxiety rears it's ugly head from time to time but not as bad as before I started the medication. It's personal preference whether you want to go down the antidepressant route but as I can't take hrt I chose to do this. I think the starflower and menopace could be helping but I can't be sure for definite. Have you considered hrt at all?

BoilingKettle

hi there,

thanks so much for your response. I have considered it but I have a friend who was on it ( the same one recommended to me) for a year and felt great and this year has had big health issues as a result of it.. Also in my 20's I tried lots of different types of contraceptive pill and they drove me "loco" I am not kidding.
I am 48 this year and they will only give me HRT where you have a period ... that is one thing I dont miss!!! I havent had them for 2 years and the thought of going back there isn't good.

Any other feedback from any ladies out there?

squeaker99

Hi. Just from my experience I would say be careful of taking supplements in general. I was in a bad place anxiety wise and was desperate for a ' fix'. I took something called Menopace and also Valarian.  Three months later during a routine blood test my liver enzymes were elevated. I had to have a liver scan and more tests ; bit scary. Both the GP and the consultant (lady of Meno age) told me to come off the supplements . Four weeks later my bloods were fine again and have been every since.  So just be careful as I have had a few GPs ward me off herbal/vitamin self diagnosis because of the effect of the liver. I  thought that sort of stuff was at worse a harmless placebo but after my experience I am more cautious.