Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Plastics / Climate change  (Read 48570 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Plastics / Climate change
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 10:12:31 PM »

Macdonalds have problems with their paper straws - they 'melt' whilst being used, I could have told them that!!! so going from plastic (recyclable) to paper (soggy) now they are trialling some other type of cardboard straws: which can't be recycled  ::)

Why don't we drink from a cup  ;D

Jari

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »

Absolutely!!! Just ditch the straws!! Cave men coped alright I'm sure. 😉

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2019, 02:38:01 PM »

;).  love it. 

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 03:52:35 PM »

My son constantly complained about their paper straws. Someone told me why they can't use the lids that they use on hot drinks.

Krystal

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 06:02:59 PM »

When I was much much younger, straws were something you drank with when having a special drink like a milk shake or ice cream soda. It makes me smile to myself that there is so much uproar over dissolving straws from McDs. It must be a generation thing. Good for McDs for at least trying to resolve this issue. 

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2019, 09:11:13 PM »

You're my age then Krystal  :D ......... milk shakes were a treat when we 'went out'  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2019, 03:24:42 PM »

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has suggested people should "poop every other day" as a way to save the planet.

His comment came in answer to a journalist who asked him how to combine agricultural development and protecting the environment.

Mr Bolsonaro recently came under fire after official data showed an increase in deforestation in the Amazon.   He then sacked the head of the agency that reported the increase, accusing it of lying about the problem's scale.

Mr Bolsonaro's comment came after the journalist quoted reports saying deforestation and agriculture were responsible for a quarter of the planet's greenhouse effect.

"It's enough to eat a little less. You talk about environmental pollution. It's enough to poop every other day. That will be better for the whole world," he said.

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2019, 09:28:53 PM »

Hundreds of tents left behind at a Cumbrian music festival have been given to migrants in France.

Carlisle Refugee Action Group collected the unwanted items after Kendal Calling and volunteers travelled to Calais and Dunkirk to distribute them.

The organisation's James Cartwright said it was "great" they were not going to be thrown away.

About 30,000 people attended the four-day event at Lowther Deer Park, Penrith, at the end of July.

Jari

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2019, 08:54:17 AM »

Great they are being put to good use, but it just amazes me that people are still so ignorant and just leave them behind, knowing the troubles with our planet. Unbelievable.

sheila99

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 09:17:33 AM »

Shows our throw away society again. A £20 tent won't last more than a few times anyway. If they only sold better quality ones for £200 not only would they last but it's too much money for most people to throw away. And they shouldn't be encouraging illegal immigrants either. I sound old...

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2019, 11:47:29 AM »

These are going to migrants!! not immigrants who 4 various reasons are living at Calais.  Does it matter - the UK is built on foreign intake, some in WWII escaping from the Jews  :-\  :'(

Of course, In My Day 1 would have £20 to spend on a tent anyway and if I did, it certainly wouldn't be thrown!!

Sparrow

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2019, 11:57:21 AM »

These are going to migrants!! not immigrants who 4 various reasons are living at Calais.  Does it matter - the UK is built on foreign intake, some in WWII escaping from the Jews  :-\  :'(

Of course, In My Day 1 would have £20 to spend on a tent anyway and if I did, it certainly wouldn't be thrown!!

Well said CLKD.  I doubt if a £20 tent would encourage anyone to make such a perilous journey anyway.

News has just come through of the first confirmed drowning of a migrant in the Channel. A woman.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:03:07 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2019, 12:14:07 PM »

:thankyou:

We need to forget that most people trying to get here are not ruffians.  Many are trying to escape tyranny.  Walk a mile in my shoes etc..  Of course in all societies there will be law breakers: in our village it seems to be people who drive 60+mph in a 30mph area.  Some have been caught on camera 3-4 times  :o but apart from a letter through their box, nowt can be done as they are caught on cameras run by our local speed team not the Police.

On wet nights I think of those in box city - not far from us actually.  A few weeks ago the local homelsss charity had a sleep-out campaign.  I do my bit by handing over stuff ........ as long as the tents are used and not put into landfill ! it helps someone short term  ;)

sheila99

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2019, 04:21:34 PM »

OK perhaps I used the wrong words. The tents are going to people who are potentially illegal economic migrants. I didn't say or imply they were ruffians. The few fleeing tyranny can legitimately claim asylum in the first safe country they get to - and France is a safe country. We all know they are camped at the French ports in order to make illegal entry to the UK. The more the charities help them more will come and more bodies will be found floating in the Channel. Encouraging someone to put their life in danger isn't my idea of charity. Helping them make a better life in their own country is.

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2019, 07:56:42 PM »

We haven't had a body in the Channel yet.  It was what the rescuers were told, that a woman fell in.  But it could be a scam, without a body ......

Hopefully once Halloween is over we will be able to secure our Borders.  Until then, people will get here because the UK is seen as an easy stop.  It's up to France to send those not applying for asylum back to whence they came and France often isn't the 1st country people reach but they push on through - ..........

At least the tents are being used.  Autumn will bring colder weather and people should be treated with dignity. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17