Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Plastics / Climate change  (Read 48657 times)

Two hoots

Re: Plastics / Climate change
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 02:51:50 PM »

In Wales ALL bags have to be bought, plastic, paper, large or small, I think only loose meat can have a free bag  :(  I buy whole chickens sometimes and I'm not happy that the supermarket cannot place the already wrapped bird in another bag, to make sure it doesn't come into contact with the rest of my shopping  >:(

If only my local town had a greengrocer, fishmonger or butcher, unfortunately it's now made up of charity shops, betting shops and empty premises. I don't have a farmers market near and only one very expensive farm shop 15 minute drive away.

I really miss not having a local buyers shop, the last in town in the market closed a couple of years ago. I don't eat much meat but they had lovely chicken portions and I always got my Christmas turkey there, the queue to pick up orders at Christmas was down the to the market entrance  :)

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 03:28:12 PM »

I agree Two Hoots. It's the same here. We do have a Sunday market though which sells good meat and vegetables. This whole thing is a nightmare re climate change and damage to the planet.

Taz x

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 06:57:04 PM »

I do so much recycling, I check all wrapping like toilet roll, kitchen roll, bread packaging etc if they can be recycled with carrier bags I take them to Tesco for recycling. I used to live in Wales but even before carrier bag charge came in I was already using my own bags. Now I'm looking into buying small organic cotton mesh bags for fruit & veg instead of using single use plastic. I will do everything I can.
I do agree that every country needs to do the same UK is only a very small drop in the ocean.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 08:02:51 PM »

Oh poor turtles  :'(

We have an OnYa ..... made from parachute material  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 08:27:48 PM »

Australian  ;) - we've had our rucksack since the late 1980s.  'onyaback' and we really need more.  DH put a stitch in it yesterday but it's done has well, parachute material never wears through.

I also have bags in various sizes for when we go round Charity shops for books etc..  Boxes we re-use to take books we have read to the Charity shop, they can put it onto the shelf and sort through when they have time. 

Bamboo anyone: socks, bags, clothing ?

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »

Thanks Jari, will have a look later.
CKLD I have bamboo tights from Tesco they are fab and I love bamboo socks they are both really soft and wash really well.

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »

Jari I saw that advertised. Just had a look at the Turtle bags have got to get one of the short handled ones (I have long arms & get so annoyed with bags dragging on ground!!) just can't decide what colour to go for :)
If you find Tesco don't have any, keep an eye out in the autumn, think they sold really well.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 08:54:47 PM »

:thankyou:  H F-W gets Things Done  ;D.

Is bamboo 'pong free' too?  As long as it isn't taking bamboo from the pandas  ;) (depriving is the word I'm searching for)

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 05:23:12 PM »

I have eaten a chocolate pudding in a plastic pot .... I had a good look along the shelves this morning but one isn't able to avoid similar packaging if 1 wants to buy products.  As a recovering anorexic I have to eat B4 I'm hungry which means grabbing items sometimes - lots of food stuffs are wrapped in difficult to recycle packaging  :-\

Sparrow

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 06:25:58 PM »

Have you tried this brand? Not sure if they're in all supermarkets.

https://www.gupuds.com/

Love these but no good for my waistline.

I now make my own yoghurt (no sugar Greek), so no plastic pots.  Good stuff and lasts for up until 2 weeks in the fridge.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 06:49:16 PM »

Trouble is, making glass is more expensive than making plastics.  Also glass is heavier to transport than plastics are. 

I eat gu occasionally. 

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 07:22:10 PM »

Dumped festival tents recycled into beach clean bags

Abandoned festival tents are being recycled into bags that can be used to collect rubbish on beaches.

Martin Dorey has collected tents from the Leopollooza festival in Bude, Cornwall, and is using them to help in the fight against plastic pollution.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »

Fishermen in Spain, are collecting more plastics from the sea than ever before!
They send them to be made into high end clothes and bags!  Good idea...

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »

Yep!

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »

Definitely a good idea to both of those
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17