Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cold water swimming  (Read 19696 times)

racjen

Cold water swimming
« on: May 24, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »

Anyone else discovered the benefits of swimming in a local river or sea for changing mood? (I refuse to call it wild swimming cos when I was a child growing up by the sea it was just 'swimming'!) I live on the edge of Dartmoor and can get to a fab swimming spot in 10 mins. I've always been a fair weather swimmer, but this year I've managed to keep it going throughout the winter (no wetsuit) and am now dipping every day. As someone who suffers from awful menopausal anxiety and depression, this seems to be one of the few healthy things that really does make an appreciable and instant difference to my mood.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cold water swimming
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 06:04:34 PM »

Did U tell us this a few weeks ago or was that someone else  :-\  :D

NOPE I don't do cold.  Give me a Lake in Italy in deep Summer and I might join you ;-).  Swimming is good, overall as long as 1 doesn't get cramp!!

racjen

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »

YEs, it was me, just thought I'd share it a bit more cos it really is the one thing that's keeping me going right now. Unfortunately for you CLKD, cold is part of the point - a dip in Lake Garda in high summer wouldn't have the same effect. And I'm pretty slight, not a lot of insulation (8 and a half stone, 5'6") so I have to be careful not to stay in too long.

If I can't get to the river I usually have a cold shower as a poor substitute, but now that the water in the pipes has warmed up that doesn't really work in the same way, the shock value isn't there anymore!

Foxylady

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 06:51:07 PM »

BBC Breakfast last week had a piece on cold water swimming, if I remember right they were talking to the 'Blue tits' group of ladies in Wales. Not my idea of fun, but I can see that it could help some. Whatever works for you!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 07:02:32 PM »

I think that Countryfile had an article about wild swimming and there are groups all over the UK.  Swimming alone worries me ...... in case of cramp or un-expected weed which grows fast in the heat; also, what's been peeing in the water  :o  :-X

racjen

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 08:36:11 PM »

Sorry CLKD but that's just pathetic! Anyway, most wild swimmers swim in groups or at least with a partner - it really isn't anymore dangerous than running or horse riding as long as you know what you're doing.

AgathaC

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 08:48:53 PM »

I would love to do this. I might investigate where this would be feasible near me.

Perinowpost

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 07:08:22 AM »

It really appeals to me too, swimming is my favourite exercise. You must feel so free. Unfortunately there's nowhere near me to indulge. Although I always swim in the sea on holiday x

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 02:53:40 PM »

Racjen well done you, I've heard good things about it & love the idea but like you I'm slight and suffer terribly in cold water. Having said that I went swimming this morning and the pool water was freezing, felt like I was in a river/lake/sea!!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 02:57:00 PM »

So I'm pathetic now ...........  :'( tnx for that racjen. 

Our local Fire Service recommend that no one goes swimming alone because cramp happens fast and is one of the main causes of drowning. 

Krystal

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »

Wild water swimming or cold water swimming, forgive my ignorance, this takes place in rivers? If so do you not have to be careful about the pollution aspect or consider the algae which may be present.  Where I live here in the Midlands the local Fire and Rescue Service give regular warnings about swimming in rivers and old quarry sites,  regarding what may be contained in the water and also the risk of body shock by going into the cold water. I would consider cold water swimming to be better for you than the local indoor swimming pool but in certain parts of the country not all rivers are safe to swim in. For those fortunate enough to have access to safe cold water swimming I hope you are all able to gain the benefits of this healthy activity.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »

There are many rivers that are safe if one can wade in, away from pollution.  Which is a good point raised.  So much run off from farms and industry.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 05:32:21 PM »

12 year old drowns:

Lee Heard, from The Royal Life Saving Society UK, urged the public to stick to supervised swimming sites.

"It is understandably tempting to cool off in the water on a hot day but the water temperature is still cold enough to take your breath away," he said.   "Open water also conceals dangers such as strong currents and debris, that can catch you out."

Perinowpost

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 09:36:10 PM »

I've been sea swimming again today it's a shallow bay and no sharks or anything, it's the best feeling in the world x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 09:42:50 PM »

BEHIND YOU  ;D  :o oh, it's nothing more than a wave  ;)

We used to swim in the rivers as kids, with adults present.  Waded into the river with a sandy bed, lots of reeds and grasses - we never dived in which can cause shock.  Always two people on the bank with towels in case the kids got cold or cramp which is the killer.  Sorry, but death happens and those in the firing line are warning across Europe not to swim in cold water.  Two died after being pulled out of the sea off the UK in the last 2 days.  Young girl drowned today  :'(

Many people entering the water in heat waves have no swimming experience nor are enough people aware of how quickly cramp can disable people.  It used to happen to me when diving into a pool which was heated: I would get cramp in both feet, pull myself out and go back in and the cramp never returned.  Had it been in the guts it might have been a different story.

KEEP SAFE!
Pages: [1] 2