Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Burning breast pain  (Read 8509 times)

celiab

Burning breast pain
« on: May 20, 2019, 07:26:19 PM »

Hi Ladies
For the last 2 weeks I have been having a burning type pain on the outside of my right breast. I went to Dr last week who said all felt normal but the right side felt like it had some nodules. She said all breast queries need to go to the 2 week clinic and has referred me.
Basically, Im just so anxious and convinced she suspects cancer as she has referred me to the 2 week clinic. Ive tried to ring hospital to see if I they have given me an appointment  all day today, but all I get is a voicemail.
I'm not on hrt, but have been on vagifem for about 5 years and have just finished a 2 week loading dose as advised by Dr.
Just so scared and anxious. x

AgathaC

Re: Burning breast pain
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:01:37 PM »

Hello!
I have suffered with hormonal breast pain for about 3 years. It's hot (yes, you could say burning) and is generally on the upper outer side. It kind of radiates out to my armpit.
I am a massive breast cancer-phobe (sister had it in her 30's and maternal aunt, mother's twin) and the breast pain feeds my anxiety. I'm literally conscious of my boobs all the time, checking for lumps, etc etc.
I have my breasts checked regularly and I'm always very anxious and convinced that the pain means something awful.
My consultant says it's hormonal, common (particularly with big dense breast like mine). He says take starflower oil every single day.
Please try and not worry. Trust your doctor and be confident and happy that she is covering all bases, just in case.
When mine is terrible, ibuprofen can help.
I always wear a bra by the way, 24/7.
There is a good section on breasts on the 34 menopause symptoms website. Go and have a read xxx

celiab

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 06:28:37 AM »

Thank you so much for the reply.
Your pain sounds like mine. It is on the upper outside and radiates towards armpit, sometimes my arm even seems to ache. To be honest I am petrified of going to hospital as I feel I know I have cancer.
My anxiety is now even worse as I was told to ring hospital yesterday for the appointment and no one answering the phone all day! So anxious that I keep thinking maybe I should go private, although not sure how I would afford it!
I always same to have health issues and everyrime I go to the Doctor I seem to be referred!
X

JaneinPen

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 04:04:32 PM »

Hi ceci,  I too get this from time to time. The first time I was convinced I had breast cancer as my mum had died from it.  I too was referred and although there is calcification which nearly all of us have nothing else was found.  Like AgathaC I take ibuprofen when it is bad and I also always wear support. I have very lightweight pull on bras for night time wear

racjen

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »

It's a fact that pain is the least likely indication of all the symptoms of breast cancer - it's usually lumps, skin changes, nipple changes etc. that give it away. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it's very unusual for pain in the breast to mean you've got cancer, far more likely to be hormonal or other factors. I speak as someone who's had breast cancer and found it bizarre that something that seemed to cause so little distress could potentially be so deadly. I'm sure you'll be fine x

celiab

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 07:37:33 PM »

Thanks everyone  :)
I got my appointment today and it is 12 June! I was referred last week on a 2WW, but it will be 4 weeks by the time Im seen! How can that be right? Dont know how I'm going to wait that long as so anxious now  :o
I spoke to nurse at the GP surgery today and she said the doctor had put increased  nodularity and pain on right hand side  :-\

racjen

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 05:52:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure you can insist on the 2 week clinic if the issue is possible cancer, so you could get back to your GP and insist. OR you could interpret it as your GP being pretty sure it's not a problem and so not prioritising it. I can understand your anxiety and feeling of urgency, but I suspect that your GP really doesn't think there's serious problem. It all depends on how assertive you feel able to be....

celiab

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »

Thanks for the reply.
My Dr has referred me to the 2 week suspected cancer clinic....its just they are so busy its 4 weeks before they have an appointment  :(

AgathaC

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 07:46:39 PM »

Ceci -  I agree with everything that Racjen has said.
In addition I hope this will be reassuring:
I have had a mammogram today and my breasts were exactly the same as my previous mammogram 15 months ago. Nothing sinister and that is despite Breast pain and tenderness for two or maybe three weeks out of four in the intervening 15 months. My breast are hot, dense and lumpy ( appears to be what your GP has said about yours) but they are okay.
Agatha C x