Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Black Cohosh  (Read 2905 times)

Nannyneet

Black Cohosh
« on: May 18, 2019, 09:44:26 PM »

Hi I grabbed a box of Black Cohosh off the shelf today in desperation but now I've read the blurb I'm not sure if I should take it,it has some scarey side effects
Has anyone here used it and did they find it helped with anything

jaycee

Re: Black Cohosh
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 10:27:28 PM »

I was thinking of taking it at one time, but it can have bad effects on your liver, and i believe one woman died from taking it, but i expect she might have had liver problems anyway

Nannyneet

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 10:32:48 PM »

That's what worried me,I suspect she probably had existing liver problems but how do I know if my liver is in tip top health,I've been on so many medications over the last 15 years ,there are loads of warnings on the box about not taking it if you have liver problems ,I did just read a post on here where someone's GP recommended it though so it can't be that bad

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »

However, GPs don't know enough about menopause or herbal remedies ;-)  .......... I believe that it shouldn't be taken long term and you may find that once your hormones start playing up it may overtake any initial benefits.  However, if it's 'that' dangerous I am sure that Companies wouldn't market it, is it H&B?

Shadyglade

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 03:50:46 PM »

I did take it for short periods and found it very useful. Not a long term sort of thing though. Better used when really needed.

Nannyneet

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »

However, GPs don't know enough about menopause or herbal remedies ;-)  .......... I believe that it shouldn't be taken long term and you may find that once your hormones start playing up it may overtake any initial benefits.  However, if it's 'that' dangerous I am sure that Companies wouldn't market it, is it H&B?

That's pretty much what I've read,it's says not for long term use,they recommend 6 months or 1year maximum,I bought it in Boots

Nannyneet

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 05:23:44 PM »

I did take it for short periods and found it very useful. Not a long term sort of thing though. Better used when really needed.

Hi thanks for the info,I think I will give it a try,I didn't realise you could just take it as and when needed,I thought it was a one day thing,I bought one box so think I might give it the 30 days and see what happens,I'm also considering St Johns Wort to see if that will stabilise my mood

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 06:09:15 PM »

Don't try both at once - you won't know what is working  ;)

Shadyglade

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »

Hi thanks for the info,I think I will give it a try,I didn't realise you could just take it as and when needed,I thought it was a one day thing,I bought one box so think I might give it the 30 days and see what happens,I'm also considering St Johns Wort to see if that will stabilise my mood

It's not recommended for more than six months but I certainly don't take it for more than two months at a go. By then you should know if it is helping anyway.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 07:33:07 PM »

I took when first going through peri-menopause and I thought it as working because my flushes stopped after a while, but in fact it was my own hormones coming and going. Once I was deep into peri-menopause ie almost there no amount of cohosh or phytooestrogen cake would do anything so they sat on the shelf for a couple of years until i chucked them. I wouldn't recommend them actually. Far better to take hRT - especially the body-identical estradiol - then some alien concentrated herbal stuff that can possibly damage your liver, I would say!

No it's definitely not for using as and when - it's not like a pharmacuetical drug to treat an ailment or pep you up - it contains phyto-oestrogens which theoretically will bind to oestrogen receptors and do the same job. The result would not be instant - if there is to be a result. However evidence is mixed and how phyto-oestrogens behave in the body seems to be complex from what I've read....if you're going to use phyto-oestrogens long term then I would try something else that doesn't have this toxicity question mark over it.

Hurdity x

Nannyneet

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 10:38:23 PM »

Hi
Thanks for the info,I don't want to take HRT and my GP didn't really recommend it so thats why I'm trying alternatives

Nannyneet

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 10:41:47 PM »

Don't try both at once - you won't know what is working  ;)

😄 don't worry I was going to try this for a month,then if it doesn't make any difference I will try the St. John's wort,interestingly I found a supplement yesterday that contained Black Cohosh and St Johns Wort so at least I know they are safe to be taken at the same time

Nannyneet

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 10:45:12 PM »

It's not recommended for more than six months but I certainly don't take it for more than two months at a go. By then you should know if it is helping anyway.

I'm just going to take it for the month the packet will last, interestingly I haven't had a hot flush for a couple of days but I'm putting that down to the placebo effect 😀which I personally am willing to call a success so long as I feel slightly more human 😄