Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Treating Migraines with Ginger  (Read 3090 times)

Kathleen

Treating Migraines with Ginger
« on: April 28, 2019, 04:44:59 PM »

Hello Ladies.

I was looking at one of my science sites earlier and noticed a study about using ginger to treat migraine headaches. Researchers found that taking a quarter teaspoon of powdered ginger reduced migraine pain at least as well as the leading drug. I don't have migraines myself but when I saw the report I wondered if any ladies on the forum would be interested, if so a search on NutritionFacts.org will tell you all you need to know.

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Treating Migraines with Ginger
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 05:05:38 PM »

We use a lot of grated ginger and garlic in cooking.  I used to make a mean ginger cake over which I poured custard.

I wonder who funded the study etc.? 

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 06:09:00 PM »

It makes sense as ginger has well known anti inflammatory properties.

As for who did the research as it is a food product I don't think it matters.  As it is freely available nobody is going to make significant profit from it.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 06:41:49 PM »

Hello ladies.

Apparently a patient told a doctor that taking ginger had helped their migraines and the doctor began suggesting it to other patients.

Shadyglade - as you say no one was going to make a profit out of studying ginger, amazingly however a trial was organised and the findings published.  I think a quarter teaspoon of powered ginger was found to be as effective as the leading drug without the side effects. Worth a try I'd say!

Wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:11:36 PM »

I like the idea of ginger as a healer.  It's been used in recipes for centuries either powdered or grated.  Ginger is known to ease sea sickness etc..

Was it taken in water or ?

catlover68

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »

Thanks for this Kathleen as I'm suffering regularly with migraines/headaches and is so debilitating. I shall now go and buy some powdered ginger and give it a try. I think mine are hormonal and because I'm suffering with awful insomnia i think it triggers them off. I'm literally getting a headache 4-5 times a week. The doctor wants me to take preventative medication beta blockers but I really don't want to go down this route as I'm already on small dose of antidepressants. I'm seriously thinking of asking to be referred for a brain scan as I'm worried it might be more serious.

Thanks again xx

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 04:30:50 PM »

Perhaps they were so busy choking on the ginger they forgot about the migraine... (tongue firmly in cheek here, I am not a fan of ginger). I tried it for sea sickness but it made no difference to me.  :(

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 07:08:12 PM »

I love ginger and like you CLKD we eat a lot of fresh ginger with garlic (eg tonight...)!

It is well known for settling the stomach - I usually keep some crystallised ginger around for this purpose (but trouble is I then keep picking at it and it has too much sugar!!!). Sometimes I just chew on some fresh root ginger.....

I looked up the study and unfortunately it was not placebo controlled and therefore not completely scientifically valid although the fact that headache severity decreased significantly in both sumatriptan and ginger groups (they didn't know which they were getting - not sure how they managed that - as it would be obvious....!) is promising. However it was only two hours after treatment..... I would want to see it done for 24 hours at least. When I last took sumatriptan the other morning - I knew I was going to develop a migraine - my symptoms disappeared never to return ie did not wake the following morning with mig nor did the symptoms come back in the eve. Would be good if that happened with ginger too! Looks like it would be worth further study.

Hurdity x

catlover68

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 12:38:57 PM »

Just to say I tried the powdered ginger yesterday when I had a headache/migraine,wasn't a full blown one though and voila it actually worked! I'm trying not to get too excited but this could be a really positive relief for anyone suffering with migraines. Hoping it will work again as I do suffer with them regularly unfortunately🙄

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 01:10:24 PM »

Propranolol at 40mg gives me background early morning headaches, cutting it to 20mg at night has eased that - so it may be that the low dose anti-depressants might be causing you headaches catlover68. 

I have one today which is probably due to sleeping heavily and waking suddenly  :-\

Also being hydrated can cause headaches.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:12:09 PM by CLKD »

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »

Great news Catlover. How did you take it ? And was it just bog standard powdered ginger from the baking aisle in the supermarket ?

catlover68

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 06:44:32 PM »

Yes CLKD I'm now convinced it's the citalopram that is causing my headaches. I woke up yesterday and today headache free and soon after taking citalopram I had a migraine type headache. I went to doctors who has now prescribed me 80 mgs of slow release propanalol which I'm loathed to take. I'm thinking of weaning off citalopram and maybe trying something else or see how I go without. Hey pants hope your ok😀yes I just got Tesco own make ginger and put half a teaspoon in a little water swilled it around and downed it quickly lol. I'm not saying this will work every time but I shall be using it again xx