Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anxiety about utrogestan taken vaginally. Please help!!  (Read 1864 times)

flaxhigh

Anxiety about utrogestan taken vaginally. Please help!!
« on: April 19, 2019, 12:23:37 PM »

Hi folks,

Me again...I have read all about taking utrogestan vaginally from various women on this forum. Many have said they have been told they can take utrogestan this way by their consultants...including Prof Studd (who I saw 2 years ago...but couldn't get on his usual regime...now I'm post-meno, I'm needing to take 100mg every day of the month according to Dr Currie with evoral 25 patch).

Anyway...I'm now on my 3rd day of vaginal utrogestan.

Please could anyone who has seen a consultant who has told them it is safe to take utrogestan vaginally please tell me which consultant it was and what they said - as having had cancer once already it suddenly struck me: perhaps progesterone in the vagina might be carcinogenic.

Yes, I'm a worrier!

I'd be so grateful for this info if you'd mind sharing it.   :)

Thanks ladies....

xxx

flaxhigh

Re: Anxiety about utrogestan taken vaginally. Please help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 02:56:20 PM »

Hi Stellajane,

Many thanks for your reply. I have read everything I can find on this forum and see that many have said 'my consultant has okayed this' but don't mention who. Someone mentioned Prof Studd. I just want these people to reassure me what exactly was said and who said it.

I'm going to try and get hold of Studd after Easter to see if he will advise...but in the meantime if anyone who has been directly advised by their private/or otherwise consultant, I'd really appreciate it if you would write.

x

Turkish delight

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 04:30:38 PM »

Hia Flaxhigh!

I understand you are anxious, especially as you have a link with cancer.

I was also, but I have had no issues with taking it this way for the past 3 months. Obv I don't have a crystal ball to see into my future and whether it will have caused some issue then, as much as that would be nice.

I'm afraid in life there are no guarantees. No one person here can categorically tell you it's 100% safe for you, no matter which consultant they saw, top of the tree or not.

We are all individuals, and our personal health is in our own hands alone, not even in the hands of a healthcare professional.
Ultimately we have to make these difficult choices based on our own judgement, after looking carefully at the risk & benefits.

I do hope that there are some women here that can help you with the answers you need, they normally do so hang in there.
But if not be prepared for a plan B.

TD

flaxhigh

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 04:38:46 PM »

Many thanks Stella Jane - I can't see anywhere on her website about taking it vaginally, though - am I missing something?

Thanks so much Turkish Delight. I get your points - thanks so much for writing. I still would feel reassured if someone would tell me what their consultant told them. My GP hasn't a clue. Otherwise I will have to go and see a consultant myself.

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 03:55:45 PM »

Don't worry Flaxhigh, Utrogestan is fine to take vaginally.  I was ok'd by an NHS consultant here in Northern Ireland.  If you want her name it is Joanne McManus, she also sees people privately.  Prof John Studd has recommended it to his clients and so has Louise Newsom.  The ladies who see them have posted on this forum.  It is not usually on the websites of the consultants because the normal NHS prescribing method is utrogestan orally but it causes some ladies problems with making them sleepy or problems if they are a bit progesterone intolerant with going through the stomach and into the blood stream that way and some of us get very depressed using it orally.  Therefore it is then prescribed to use vaginally which is considered "off licence" by the NHS but has been ok'd by loads of consultants and works very well and bypasses loads of the side effects that you get from taking it orally.  They don't put it on the website because it doesn't apply to everyone.  For example testosterone is considered "off licence" and not for prescription for women but lots of us use it now as it has been found to be necessary and useful for menopausal women who had a certain amount of testosterone in their bodies before they were menopausal but then lose it.  HRT is very variable and we all react differently. What works for one might not work for another, it is really trial and error to find what works for you.  Lots of uson the forum use systems which are not the common way to use either products or to run cycles but do so under supervision or with our consultants say so.

I have been taking it vaginally coming up 10 months because of problems with other types of progesterone.  It's the best one out of 5 types I've tried.

Nik2502

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 09:10:52 PM »

I've just seen Dr Diana Mansour who recommended I take it vaginally.