Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vagifem UTIs help please  (Read 2811 times)

Lizzie06

Vagifem UTIs help please
« on: April 14, 2019, 05:21:32 PM »

Hi ladies, I have been experiencing bladder problems and recurring UTIs over the last few months. The UTIs have been confirmed as infections from urine samples sent to the lab and I have used AB's each time. I have been prescribed Vagifem to help with the UTIs and I'm waiting for a flexi cystoscopy to check for any underlying issues with my bladder or urethra. I'm currently infection free but fear it will return soon so should I start using Vagifem or wait until I have the flexi cystoscopy to see if there is any underlying infection in my bladder. Any help or advice welcome.

Katejo

Re: Vagifem UTIs help please
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:27:36 PM »

I'd recommend that you start using the Vagifem now. If you get an appointment for the cystoscopy, you could check with them whether you need to temporarily stop it just before you have it done. i assume that you don't have a date yet? At the time when I had mine done, i hadn't yet been prescribed any Vagifem so I can't be sure about that.

JaneinPen

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 07:55:53 PM »

Hi Lizzie06 I was already using Vagifem when my cystoscopy appointment came through and I wasn't asked to stop using it beforehand.

Lizzie06

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:03:00 PM »

Thank you for the reply Katejo. I have read a lot on the forum about VA mimicking UTIs and using Vagifem will help stop this, but as my UTIs are coming back as infections will Vagifem stop the infections recurring? I'm just a little confused and just wondering whether I need to start using Vagifem if the problem is not related to VA.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:09:48 PM »

Don't wait!  Get that medication tin your vagina ..... that what it is for.  2 weeks loading plus appropriate pain relief if necessary.  You may need more than the recommended dose of 2 weeks then twice a week - some ladies also use 'sylc' and 'yes' products, do put the names into the search box; make notes  ;)

Browse round.  We have a funny room too ........ nowt is too much information!

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:10:48 PM »

Thank you for the reply Katejo. I have read a lot on the forum about VA mimicking UTIs and using Vagifem will help stop this, but as my UTIs are coming back as infections will Vagifem stop the infections recurring? I'm just a little confused and just wondering whether I need to start using Vagifem if the problem is not related to VA.
One of my main reasons for trying Vagifem was precisely to reduce my chances of further infections. I can't say that I will never have one but I have been clear of UTI's for 5 months now. If I get to September without having one, I will judge it a success. I have just started to use systemic HRT (Evorel Conti) to see if that improves things further.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »

Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms really really well!  Appropriate atrophy treatment is essential if one suffers symptoms, it is a 'for Life' treatment. 

Lizzie06

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 09:03:44 PM »

One of my main reasons for trying Vagifem was precisely to reduce my chances of further infections. I can't say that I will never have one but I have been clear of UTI's for 5 months now. If I get to September without having one, I will judge it a success. I have just started to use systemic HRT (Evorel Conti) to see if that improves things further.
Thank you for all the replies.
Thank you again Katejo. I'm also on Evorel Conti which has helped my other VA symptoms, hopefully things will improve for you. It's great to hear Vagifem has kept your infections away. I will start the 2 week loading tonight and fingers crossed no more UTIs.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 08:09:38 AM »

R U able to explain 'other VA symptoms'  :-\ ....... let us know how you get on!

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 10:12:46 AM »

Thank you again Katejo. I'm also on Evorel Conti which has helped my other VA symptoms, hopefully things will improve for you. It's great to hear Vagifem has kept your infections away. I will start the 2 week loading tonight and fingers crossed no more UTIs.
I'd be interested to know how you have got on with Evorel Conti? How long did it take before you felt benefits? Have you had side effects? I have been a bit hot and achy since starting it but i am not sure whether this is connected. I am hoping that it will help my tight muscles/joint aches.
The consultant thought that use of Evorel Conti would eventually reduce the frequency of Vagifem needed. I also wondered what you meant by 'other VA symptoms'.

Lizzie06

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 02:19:01 PM »

I'd be interested to know how you have got on with Evorel Conti? How long did it take before you felt benefits? Have you had side effects? I have been a bit hot and achy since starting it but i am not sure whether this is connected. I am hoping that it will help my tight muscles/joint aches.
The consultant thought that use of Evorel Conti would eventually reduce the frequency of Vagifem needed. I also wondered what you meant by 'other VA symptoms'.
Hi, I've been on Evorel Conti for approx 8 weeks and so far I've not experienced any side effects.  I started feeling the benefits after a couple of weeks. I no longer suffer my nightly hot flushes and I feel the patches have helped with lubricating my lady bits so I'm no longer feeling dry, sore or itchy. Really hoping Vagifem will deal with my recurring UTIs.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »

Vagifem is for plumping up the vagina to improve oestrogen levels.  It needs to be used regularly to avoid drying out = aggravation of surrounding area.

Have you read the other threads relating to bladder problems?

Urine infections need appropriate treatment, if necessary, after tests, anti-biotics.  Localised HRT will ease symptoms of 'infections'.  I sometimes need to take a pain relief tablet too.  Trial and Error can be tiring.

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 02:58:16 PM »

Hi, I've been on Evorel Conti for approx 8 weeks and so far I've not experienced any side effects.  I started feeling the benefits after a couple of weeks. I no longer suffer my nightly hot flushes and I feel the patches have helped with lubricating my lady bits so I'm no longer feeling dry, sore or itchy. Really hoping Vagifem will deal with my recurring UTIs.
I only have very mild flushes/sweats (not enough to need HRT). I am hoping it will add to the Vagifem but my main reason for trying it is to see if it reduces tight muscles/aching joints which have got worse in the past year. I suppose I will need to give it a few weeks to do that (after having had the symptoms for more than 10 years).