Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: News report re breast cancer & HRT  (Read 2907 times)

Shadyglade

News report re breast cancer & HRT
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:00:30 AM »

What do you make of this?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/19/breast-cancer-survival-improving-following-hrt-scares-figures/

I must admit I'm neutral, never having taken HRT or had breast cancer.  Just thought I'd throw it out there.

JaneinPen

Re: News report re breast cancer & HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »

Interesting read. I particularly liked the last paragraph with the Baroness stating that it is a personal decision and that it should be discussed with your GP. Lots of ladies on here would say “Good luck with that one”!!!!!

Robin

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »

Louise Newson says this is terrible reporting. I trust her judgement over that of a journalist/newspaper
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:43:19 AM by Robin »

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 11:48:06 AM »

I agree, Robin. X

Shadyglade

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:54:04 PM »

There is another report in the Times. 

It will be interesting to see if it has the same take on the matter.

Robin

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 01:00:48 PM »

Probably. Scare stories sell papers

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:31:33 PM »

The Times report has very little emphasis on the HRT angle.

However, as a side topic, there is an article on a American report that says more than three eggs a week IS bad for you now.

You couldn't make it up. ::)

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 03:55:45 PM »

Dr Newson has done a retort, I personally have made my decision to take HRT & I haven't even read the article just saw the headlines.

Media propaganda is my option on this, these journalists don't know what there Menopause may be & many of us are hanging on via our fingernails & HRT gives us better quality of life.

Robin

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 04:16:08 PM »

Totally agree Maryjane

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 04:24:00 PM »

If one read this:

Baroness Delyth Morgan, the charity's chief executive, said: “While taking HRT is known to increase the risk of breast cancer, it is a really personal decision for women, which is why it's so important that everyone fully understands the benefits and risks and discusses them with their GP."

one would never get out of bed  :o.  that's a grab a statement out of the air without any back up at all  >:(.  If I were really suffering symptoms I would push for HRT though my Oncologist muttered at discharge "NO HRT for you".  Also, it doesn't state in the article about how many types of breast cancer are not hormone dominant.  It does depend on how much consultants realise the impact on women when they reach menopause as to how to judge risk.

No one suggests removing both breasts so that a woman can take HRT !

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »

Dr Newson has done a retort, I personally have made my decision to take HRT & I haven't even read the article just saw the headlines.

Media propaganda is my option on this, these journalists don't know what there Menopause may be & many of us are hanging on via our fingernails & HRT gives us better quality of life.
Where can we see the retort please Maryjane

Robin

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 04:32:34 PM »

I read something on Dr Newsons twitter which is what I was referring to. Not sure if that is what Maryjane is referring to or if there is something longer elsewhere

Jeepers

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 08:46:18 AM »

a line from Life on Mars springs to mind

"If that were the case, I would never Fart for fear of sh*tting myself"

What would be good is if they could show and tell  how many fewer women get CVD and oesteoporosis as a result of taking HRT.  Never seem so keen to publish good news !

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 09:35:58 PM »

a line from Life on Mars springs to mind

"If that were the case, I would never Fart for fear of sh*tting myself"

What would be good is if they could show and tell  how many fewer women get CVD and oesteoporosis as a result of taking HRT.  Never seem so keen to publish good news !
That's my response too. If I get cancer sometime later, I would never know whether it was caused by HRT or not. It could be a coincidence.

Moanybreeks

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 10:10:11 PM »

Women should be able to make an informed choice based on facts not media hype... this feels like the sequel to the WHI research... please read or listen to the authors discussion on

'Oestrogen Matters'- why taking hormones in Menopause can Improve women's well being and lengthen their lives- WITHOUT raising the risk of breast cancer'.  Bluming and Tavris

This is an evidence based research and conclusion on hormones positive impact on womens health.  There is a link to the audio on my newbee post. I am 3/4 way through the book... it is well worth the read.