Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Has anyone tried Botox for migraine relief?  (Read 1500 times)

Pinkjan4288

Has anyone tried Botox for migraine relief?
« on: March 17, 2019, 06:43:55 PM »

I'm so fed up of having migraines. They make me feel so unwell. I can't function properly when I have them.
I have triptans but they gave their own side effects.
I also have low dose amyltriptaline tablets.
I'm fed up of taking tablets.
When I started bhrt my headaches and migraines went completely but after 3 months they have returned with a vengeance.
I'd really like to try Botox to help me.

Any advice or thoughts?

I know it's available on the NHS but I'd imagine I'd have to try everything else first pill wise before they will refer me.
I'm happy to pay privately.

star35

Re: Has anyone tried Botox for migraine relief?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 07:50:51 PM »

Don't know about botox but after trying all the medication from the gp and making no difference, my daughter went for accupuncture and the results for her have been amazing.

Pinkjan4288

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 10:15:39 PM »

I have wondered about acupuncture. I've never tried it before.
Did your daughter needs it a few times?

Night_Owl

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:06:11 AM »

Hi Pinkjan -

Due to worsening, hideous migraines, after many years I took a drastic step and gave up HRT c.6 months ago as I felt it was making the migraines worse due to creating fluctuations (I was on a low dose, long cycle sequi regimen) - and I was right! - the migraines lessened greatly - I haven't had a 4 day monster mig since I stopped.

I'm having Chinese acupuncture for both meno and migraine  - I found a very experienced acupuncturist via the British Acupuncture Council.  Planning to have 12 sessions - so far I've had 3 and not the slightest twinge of a migraine which is absolutely incredible after *years* of suffering.  It's about addressing the route cause of migraine created by imbalances in the body.  The acupuncturist believes HRT masks/prevents the biochemistry from finding natural balance, adjustment to lower levels of hormone and producing its own hormones via adrenals.

I couldn't tolerate any of the triptans and Amitriptyline made the migraines worse.

We're all so different and at different stages on the meno journey - however acupuncture could be worth a try ... which HRT are you on, are you peri or post?

Good luck with what you decide.

star35

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »

Hi Pinkjan my daughter started with 1session a week for 6 weeks and now goes for just one session if she feels she needs it ,but hasn't had to go for months now. We did our research before hand ,like night owl through the British Acuppunture Council . Our lady isn't Chinese but she is an ex nurse that retrained as an acupuncturist. I can honestly say after the first session there was already a big improvement she is like a different person she had been crippled by migraine for years. Good luck if you do try it. I think if you believe it is going to help that helps as well. My daughter's session is normally about an hour and it just relaxes her so much from start to finish.

Pinkjan4288

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 07:08:23 AM »

Thank you both
I'm peri Menopausal and on Oestrogel 2pumps every day and Utrogestan 200mg for 14 days.

When I started in Dec my headaches and migraines disappeared completely for 2 months it was amazing.
Then last month they returned again.
I have been very stressed with my daughter and an overload of college work so it's hard to work out what is causing the pain to return.

star35

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 03:33:24 PM »

Hi I have to say stress was nearly always a cause for my daughter, although there were other small reasons that would be a cause as well. She has had a few stresses lately that made me think she would get one but touch wood since the acupuncture this has not been the case.

Pinkjan4288

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »

Thanks Hummdinger