Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bi/varifocals  (Read 4719 times)

sheila99

Bi/varifocals
« on: March 17, 2019, 11:22:33 PM »

Presumably some people find bifocals OK as they're still selling them. I can't get on with them. I find the line between the two lenses intrusive and if I'm looking through it while moving my eyes or head I feel sick. Are varifocals any better? Is there still a line or is it more gradual? They cost even more so reluctant to try them unless there's a good chance it will improve things.

Hezzalady67!

Re: Bi/varifocals
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 07:37:31 AM »

It sounds like they might not have assessed your eye movements for your bifocals correctly.

I have been using them for years and they did a thing where I had to look in different directions as they measured where the top and bottom of the lenses had to be.

I don't even see the line. Sorry, doesn't answer your question about varifocals.

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:42:53 AM »

I have worn varifocals for years and love them. It just like your eyes would see naturally at any distance. There is no line.

Two things though. First it can take two or three weeks to get used to them. It's your brain that has to get used to the lens, not you.

Second, go for the best quality lens if your optician offers you a choice. You have a far better chance of getting on with them if you do this as. There is greater variation in near, middle and distance vision, with the better quality ones, so they are more affective and easier to get used too.

I really don't know I am wearing mine, unless the lenses are dirty.  ;)

Two hoots

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:06:49 AM »

I love my varifocals but my better half hated them so much he returned them  ::). If you want to try them find an optician that will take them back and swap for bifocals or two pairs of single vision lenses if you don't like them.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 03:23:03 PM »

I tried varifocals once several years ago but didn't like them. I only need glasses for distance including TV, cinema , not close up. i can walk outside without any at all as my prescription is mild. I don't need any for close up reading.
More recently i considered trying them again because i have to take my glasses on and off so often (particularly in an evening class when looking up at the tutor and back down at a text. i mentioned this to the optician when i had my last eye test. He/she advised that they may not work so well for me because of my astigmatism.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 09:42:02 PM »

Thanks for your replies, I'm going back to the opticians.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 09:33:40 PM »

I think my brother in law has astigmatism and he definitely wears vari's.

The on .. off .. on..  off is a right pain in the proverbial isn't it? If you only need specs for distance though, vari's would seem a rather expensive option.

What you probably need is bifocals with distance lenses at the top and plain glass in the reading panel (if they actually make such things?)
I considered that idea but, when reading close up, I want the same vision across the book. i  think I would just keep taking them off as I do now with single lens. I might ask the optician again when i have my next test done.

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 10:38:13 PM »

When I said I was getting varifocals many years ago  Friends told me I wouldn't get on with them,  that they suffered migraines etc. when they had tried them . So I was really worried that I wouldn't get on with them either but I loved them from the start and never had any problems getting used to them.

Ariadne xx

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »

Varifocals ordered so I hope I get on with them. Good tip to go for expensive ones thanks, reviews seem to agree.

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 08:56:21 AM »

Is your optician one of a chain or an independent.

I have found chain opticians more pushy about this so swapped to an independent, years ago.  If the change is minimal they advise not to change as you can always go back if you start having problems. 

I think independents can seem more pricey but they are not so much sales target driven as the chains.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:21:49 AM by Shadyglade »

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »

As long as your vision is OK and you don't get eye strain I personally wouldn't. But I tend not to go to the opticians unless my eyesight has deteriorated so my advice may not be the best! Mine annoy me by wanting new specs instead of replacing the lenses. I struggle to find ones that are comfortable so I may go elsewhere next time.

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »

I go to specsavers too, started with my daughter as the independent had only one pair that didn't have an additional charge. Ss had an offer so she got two pairs free.

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »

Varifocals ordered so I hope I get on with them. Good tip to go for expensive ones thanks, reviews seem to agree.

I know that this is an old discussion but did you get on ok with these please? I am considering them again. I had an eye test yesterday. My distance vision hasn't changed but my close range has slightly so I'd like to give them another try.
I am going for the most expensive one. I am about to go back to the optician to choose frames.  I can trial them for up to a month.

sheila99

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 01:40:30 PM »

I'd go for the trial, you might find them OK. I went for the most expensive ones and still have them but I doubt I'll get them again when my prescription changes. I don't wear specs all the time which I think is part of the problem, I haven't really got used to moving my head to keep things in focus. I have most difficulty with mid range. I also find them worse outside where you use peripheral vision more (as this is reduced in varifocals). I do find them much better than bifocals which made me feel sick because of the distortion when you look through the line between the lenses.

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »

I'd go for the trial, you might find them OK. I went for the most expensive ones and still have them but I doubt I'll get them again when my prescription changes. I don't wear specs all the time which I think is part of the problem, I haven't really got used to moving my head to keep things in focus. I have most difficulty with mid range. I also find them worse outside where you use peripheral vision more (as this is reduced in varifocals). I do find them much better than bifocals which made me feel sick because of the distortion when you look through the line between the lenses.
Thanks Sheila99 . Very helpful. I will try them but suspect that I may get a single lens pair as the 2nd pair to use on days out  (eg. Hiking) when I don't need to switch from close up to distance.  Or I could just keep one of my older pairs for that as the prescription hasn't changed.

I wish they wouldn't insist on 2 fo1. Sometimes I'd rather buy just 1 pair at a lower price.
Pages: [1] 2