Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes returned  (Read 1267 times)

rower

Hot flushes returned
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:26:03 AM »

Hi all,
I'm 65 now, back in 2009 I had to have a full hysterectomy, my symptoms of hot flushes etc was minimum and coped with just supplement of Menocool which is brilliant, eventually I didn't have any symptoms for many years. Except for some reason it has returned this year, the hot flushes starts in the evening and during the night, never been this bad and don't know why, nothing has changed as to diet etc, in fact I eat healthier and exercise better
I stopped the Menocool because it wasn't helping ,I thought maybe I needed a break from the tablet, gave it 3 weeks and now started it again, early days yet as it takes two weeks before it has any benefit.
BUT I want to now why all of a sudden after 10 years it's started, the estrogen would have gone out of my body along time ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Hurdity

Re: Hot flushes returned
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:52:02 PM »

Hi rower - did you keep your ovaries when you had your full hysterectomy? If so they continue to give out hormones for some time although it would be surprising to suddenly decrease now.

Has your weight changed at all? Oestrogen is stored in fat cells to some extent and I do believe I read somewhere that if you lose a lot of weight you will therefore lose that oestrogen ie will come out from the fat cells and be metabolised out of the body. If you are exercising more maybe you have in fact converted some fat to muscle?

If your weight hasn't changed then I can't explain it (and even then I'm not sure my explanation is the answer), although perhaps I would pay a visit to the doc for some blood tests  as there are other conditions which can cause poor temperature regulation, and lead to flushes?

Hurdity x

rower

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 06:04:52 PM »

Thanks Huridity.
I had my ovaries removed at the same time. Over the last couple of years I've been losing weight, just eating healthy, walking more as we have a dog over the last two years, but then the flushes had gone, it seems to have happened at the beginning of this year.
So are you saying I may have lost more fat, I did read somewhere that people that are plumper tend to hang onto the oestrogen longer. I've booked an appointment so will see what she says.

Charliegirl@

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 07:44:44 PM »

I am having the same problem.Have been through an anxious and stressful time recently, would this have an effect in estrogen levels? I have had a hysterectomy and kept hormones.
Thanks Charliegirl

rower

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:13:27 PM »

Thanks birdy. I'm 5ft 1 and weigh 8st 11lbs I use to be nearer 10 stones. So that's why, better put it back on lol