Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gallbladder issues?  (Read 5859 times)

Jeepers

Gallbladder issues?
« on: February 28, 2019, 09:36:45 AM »

Hi all

I've been having pain in my right side at the bottom of my ribs for a few weeks now. Sometimes it spreads to my upper back, sometimes to my hip bone.

I'm wondering if it could be my gall bladder? I am on hrt and the leaflet does mention gall bladder problems .

I have been to the docs, and have a scan booked for April ( trying not to freak out with the waiting).

Do any of you ladies experience anything similar?  Or have had gallbladder problems in the past?

Thanks

Jeepers xx

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:55:22 AM by Jeepers »

dahliagirl

Re: Gallbladder issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 11:24:50 AM »

It seems to be a common issue, especially for women of this age.

I have a lot of it in my family and cannot work out whether hrt is better or worse for it.  It is swings and roundabouts.

Transdermal is possibly better, because you don't have the first pass through the liver issue.  However, there is little choice of ready made combination hrt now that one of the patches is out of production so you may need a separate progestogen to do this.

My brother was told that gallbladder disease (which is lots of pits and folds as well as the stones) is a matter of bad luck on the inheritance front.

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 11:48:26 AM »

Hi all

I've been having pain in my right side at the bottom of my ribs for a few weeks now. Sometimes it spreads to my upper back, sometimes to my hip bone.

I'm wondering if it could be my gall bladder? I am on hrt and the leaflet does mention gall bladder problems .

I have been to the docs, and have a scan booked for April ( trying not to freak out with the waiting).

Do any of you ladies experience anything similar?  Or have had gallbladder problems in the past?

Thanks

Jeepers xx

Yes.  Turned out to be a kidney infection.  Do you have any other symptoms such as runny tummy, cloudy wee etc., This is important as you don't usually get burning wee with upper UTIs. 

I also had a scan which showed a polyp that had to be monitored for two years.  However, this was not the cause of the pain.

Jeepers

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 12:14:53 PM »

Hi all

Thank you for your lovely replies. I feel reassured a bit , knowing that these problems are common and treatable.

I am on transdermal, but I have a suspicion that my estrogen level went too high. I've gone back down to 2 pumps now .

I can cope with the thought of gallbladder problems other than gallbladder cancer, or , as my imagination has led me to, pancreatic cancer!

My wee is normal, I've recently had an msu test, which came back normal. The only other symptoms are a bit of pain by my shoulder pain, and reduced appetite .

I've asked to be put on the cancellation list too.

Thanks again.

Jeepers x
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 12:22:20 PM by Jeepers »

Jeepers

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »

Do you think it's worth me bringing this up with my gynae? I know it's a gastro thing, but if hormones/ hrt are involved maybe?  :neutral:

Jeepers

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 09:35:51 PM »

Thanks sparkle

I don't feel very well at all. I was atym mum's and infelt dizzy and faint a couple of times, and I was lying down  :-\

I also have some strange throbbing/aching  at the front of my armpits
Iand a horrible taste in my mouth .

So fed up with feeling ill
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:58:39 PM by Jeepers »

Countrygirl

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 06:42:05 AM »

Mine flared up one night after I ate sausages it was awful and I lost over 2 stone in 6 weeks. The pain was constant and I was being told it was IBS, but I knew it wasn't as I couldn't eat as everything except crackers was setting it off, it was only after I went a lovely shade of yellow and BMI classified me as underweight that gallbladder was mentioned the pain in my shoulder was constant along with the pain under my ribs.

Jeepers keep pushing them to find out what it is, my instinct told me it wasn't IBS and I kept on till they scanned me and found I was full of stones and inflamed and was relieved when it was finally removed x

Jeepers

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 07:29:40 AM »

Thanks Country girl

I did have a big dinner at myums, she cooked pie amd mash with veggies. It was a bigger meal than I would normally eat, but you know how mum's are!

Feeling a bit better this morning..it probably didn't help that I went to the oesteopath yesterday, who did some (gentle) manipulation on my spinr and ribs.

I have my hysteroscopy gynae today.. so something else to concentrate on.

I think the GP has written me off a little bit.  I wish I had pushed for a referral for my medical insurance, but when I asked if I should go private, he just said "no" in a very unambiguous way.

Thank you again

Jeepers xx

Jillm

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »

Hi Jeepers,

Hope you are feeling better. I had my gallbladder removed 3 1/2 years ago.
I had suffered on off symptoms for about 2 years before that and managed them by drinking apple cider vinegar(must be the one with the mother)and cloudy apple juice. One of my previous GP's suggested this.
It did help during an attack and stopped the pain normally within about 20 mins.
I also took a bottle of it with me to work, to ward off an attack.
This all worked well until an attack took me to the ER (6 hours screaming in pain). It was removed the following Wed.
Try the apple juice and cider vinegar won't do any harm.
Can I ask a question, I still get a similar pain but not to the same degree, doctor not to bothered, but did not confirm if this can happen.
Has anyone else who has had their gallbladder removed also noticed this?

Countrygirl

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 06:20:45 PM »

Mine was removed 10 months ago and I get tugging pains around my right hip every so often when I twist to reach something it's where they pushed the thingy (gone blank on what it's called) through and still get pain under my right ribs where GB was, but no where as bad as it was before x

Jeepers

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 08:48:33 AM »

Hi all

My appetite is so poor now, but the pain seems to have subsided. Just getting pain under left breast, sometimes along the line where the base of your bra sits, along with upper back and shoulder pain intermittently.

The lack of appetite is just a bit worrying.
I have lost 3 pounds this week.

I felt dizzy on Saturday, but not so much yesterday or today.

5 weeks to wait until my scan.. seems like a lifetime

Thank you all for your support, it means a great deal

Jeepers x

Shadyglade

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »

Jeeper, if you are really worried, go back to your doctor and ask for a private scan.  This will cost, of course, but you should get the scan more or less immediately.

I just checked online and the average cost is around £300.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:09:57 AM by Shadyglade »

Jeepers

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 09:44:50 AM »

Hi Shadeyglade

I asked my GP if I should go private, and he just said an emphatic no, so I don't think he wanted to refer me.

It would not actually cost me anything,I have private medical insurance (for which I pay £150 a month!).

Thank you for replying  :)

Jeepers xx

Shadyglade

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »

Oh, Jeepers.  Give your doctor a HUGE KICK UP THE ARSE.  He has no right to refuse a private scan, if that is what you want.  Is there another GP that you can see at the same practice.

I am gobsmacked.  Complain to your Regional Health Authority if you have too.  >:(

Shadyglade

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 10:04:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2