Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Testosterone Gel Advice Please  (Read 923 times)

Bobidy

Testosterone Gel Advice Please
« on: February 23, 2019, 10:29:16 AM »

Hi all

Dr Newson checked my testosterone level, which was low along with the low oestrogen level (but the tests were just prior to my period starting so I think this may have influenced the reading).

I am semi nervous about starting testosterone gel and think I will hold off for a now.

I'm understand that I would need to be taking the Oestrogel for 3 months? before starting testosterone?

I still have regular periods but with big hormone spikes and dips that cause my multitude of peri symptoms, will this effect the testosterone gel? My oestrogen levels won't be consistent until I'm post meno which could be a while yet (although probably earlier than 51 due to pending hysterectomy - leaving ovaries).

Are there any health benefits for using testosterone other than libido increase that can't just be sorted with the Oestrogel and life style changes?

What are the risks of testosterone gel and can I minimise them?  I'm conscious of the dvt risks post hysterectomy so don't want to start anything too soon afterwards which may pose a risk.

Do you have any top tips that you can share for using the gel?

Thank you again for all your fantastic advice x

Sooze

Re: Testosterone Gel Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 06:55:41 PM »

I didn't start testosterone until I was about 5yrs post meno but it improved libido, response and a massive improvement in joint flexibility and joint pain - especially knees and back. Before testosterone I struggled to put a pair of tights on in the morning, and wouldn't have a bath because I had trouble getting in and out. Now absolutely no problems.

The problem with peri is your hormone levels fluctuate so aim for the lowest dose to control symptom, and start slow with a lower dose than prescribed and less frequency for at least the first month and build up gradually.
HTH.
S

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:25:42 PM »

I started mostly because I was pulling muscles too easily. It has improved it. I had pain in both hips which has now gone. It's improved motivation & energy levels. It's also sorted out my pelvic floor. Previously had to do pelvic floor exercises every few weeks or I leaked, I haven't had to them since starting on testosterone.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 08:44:07 AM »

Hi Bobody

There are lots of threads on tesosterone so you will get more info as well as the responses here by going to the forum home page and doing a search.

However I started a now long-running one in Private Lives here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27959.0.html

Also one on dosages here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39588.msg666825.html#msg666825

Re your question.

At this point personally I would not see the necessity for replacement testosterone - the blood tests are inaccurate for women at low levels and some gynaes don't do them. From what you say about your menopausal status you are not yet officially in peri-menopause yet as your periods are pretty regular and close together. The stage you are in is medically known as the Late Reproductive Stage (or Phase). Many women start to get symptoms at this point because hormones start to go awry, and especially in many women PMS starts to worsen. HRT can be hit and miss at this stage though - from reading on here - for some women it is the magic that works, for others it causes more problems.

Oestrogen deficiency and a whole host of other causes can be a reason for joint pain so I wouldn't be in a hurry to start it (T) for this symptom and it is not clinically indicated anyway for this alone. Reduced libido would be the first thing to occur and persist, long before other symptoms of low T are felt - I would say. eg I started it (T) when I was probably 6 or 7 years post-meno - but would probably have benefitted a year or two ealrier. Libido went awol years before!

Personally I would park it somewhere in your mind for future reference but concentrate on getting well after your op and starting a low dose oestrogen until you feel well - and then forget about it until ( if) other symptoms appear and persisit.

I know some private gynaes seem very keen on replacing it straight away, but not sure about the evidence - there is so little research and we need more!

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x