Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice appreciated - when to start patches  (Read 914 times)

ChristinaG

Advice appreciated - when to start patches
« on: February 21, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »

Hi,

I have been prescribed HRT Patches - Evorel Sequi- and I am desperate to get started to treat my many perimenopause symptoms.

However, I was on the mini pill (Cerazette), and my Dr advised I come of this and wait until I had a period or wait three weeks before starting these HRT patches.

I am currently at week three and the withdrawal from the mini pill has been difficult and surprisingly not as painless as I would have expected. However, my question relates to starting the patches which I hope addresses some of these re-emerging symptoms.

My breasts are very tender, and I haven't had a period. From what I understand that's because I have, at this time, increased estrogen. I have had loads of perimenopause symptoms, but tender breasts have not been a factor until I stopped the mini pill and I think this has upset my ‘system' further and/or the mini pill was managing some of these symptoms for me.

So, my question is, do I wait to I have a period (which could be weeks) as long as I have tender breasts or do I slap on a patch and see what happens; secretly hoping that if it is terrible that the third week will ease as I introduce progestogen?

Any advice or thoughts, or am I simply over thinking this?

I am so hopeful that HRT may help that I don't want to have a negative first experience which puts me off.

Hurdity

Re: Advice appreciated - when to start patches
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 09:57:52 AM »

Hi ChristinaG

:welcomemm:

You post seems to have got missed...sorry I don't have time to write in depth but that mini pill does suppress ovulation and oestrogen levels so that sounds about right with your symptoms.

I would wait at least a month (from withdrawing from the POP) to see if you have a period and then if not and you are still getting peri-menopausal symptoms then just start the patches. I think I have read on here that sometimes it can take 3 months for periods to return after POP but I doubt you want to suffer for that long. You might find your bleeds (on the HRT) are out of sync with your natural bleeds ( if they come back) but you can then adjust the timing possibly?

You haven't said how old you are but there are contraceptive pills (combi ones) with oestrogen in them that is the same types in HRT (estradiol) which you might find control your symptoms better - known as Qlaira and Zoely. Age limit for these I think is 50.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Hurdity x