Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Just joined today and need some advice on PCOS and HRT - PLEASE HELP! :(  (Read 1396 times)

PJRiley

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I don't want to overload you with too many details, but in short I've got PCOS which comes with various troubling symptoms. I know the focus is on menopause here, but some of the symptoms I've experienced sound similar to those that many women go through during the menopause, even though currently I'm 32 and had premature ovarian failure ruled out. I would get night sweats before and during each period, irregular periods, and I've been on antidepressants since I was 18 for anxiety, severe panic attacks and depression.

I started HRT back in June and was initially feeling better, but since around October it's not been as effective. I changed the dose in September, then went back to my original regime at the end of October. I thought I'd turned a corner last month but I'm experiencing severe anxiety again to the point I can't work and it's been four months now. My antidepressants, which were working well for over a year, seem to be doing nothing now. Has anyone had any similar experiences? I'm on Estradot and Utrogestan.

I feel really alone and not at all myself at the moment :(

AgathaC

I'm so sorry that you feel alone. Lots of us on here have felt and do feel that way at times; indeed coming on here has helped us feel less alone. I'm not surprised you don't feel yourself. I don't have experience of your particular situation but hoping someone will come along soon with some advice xxx
P.S. if you don't get a reply by tomorrow, don't be disheartened: just post again because sometimes posts get missed xxx

Taz2

Hi. You needn't feel so alone now - you have all of us to help and support you in any way we can.  :)

I don't know much about PCOS but your symptoms do sound like many of us on here experience. Lots of members use HRT and anti depressants as, although HRT is usually good at relieving hot flushes it doesn't always work so well for anxiety. There are members here who are more knowledgeable re Utrogestan and I'm sure they'll be along soon to advise. You may like to post under New Members too where more may see it.

Taz X  :welcomemm:

PJRiley

Thanks so much, Taz2 and AgathaC - your kind words have already helped me so much! :) And re not knowing much about PCOS, I don't think anyone does, not even the experts! It's different to the menopause but I was staggered by how much the symptoms seem to overlap, which is why I needed to check I wasn't going through early menopause.

Taz2, thanks also for the suggestion about posting in the New Members section, will do!

It would be interesting to hear more about Utrogestan from those who have used it. I have a lot of stress in my life at the mo (don't we all?!), so it's difficult to know exactly what's causing what, but my mental health really deteriorated when I went from taking 100mg Utro at night for 21 days of my 4-week cycle to just 10 days. The whole time I've been on Estradot 100mcg, so maybe that's too much estrogen for me :-\ My lovely consultant seemed a bit baffled because he said usually his patients can't tolerate progesterone, but I know I sleep better when I'm on it.

Anyway, enough waffling from me! Thanks again both of you, you have no idea how much I appreciate your kind words! :)

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

I have had medication for anxiety and depression since the 1980s so probably was stable enough to go through peri-menopause without too many problems, so far so good.  Do look out for the vaginal atrophy  :o - we have threads about that as well as a 'funny room'  ;)