Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: VA and 'Lady Bits' Advice Please  (Read 1437 times)

Bobidy

VA and 'Lady Bits' Advice Please
« on: February 19, 2019, 10:42:01 AM »

Hi all

Thank you all for taking the time to read my posts and your responses.

My question today is:

Over the last 18 months I sometimes get a numb feeling around my groin and 'lady bits' area. I've had tests and an ultrasound to make sure it's nothing nasty and it came back negative.

I also occasionally have some soreness and twinges 'down there' and need to go to the loo more frequently.

As I have fibroids, polyps and heavy painful periods at the mo I find it difficult to differentiate between what is related to what and I guess after my hysterectomy I will have that recovery pain to throw into the mix too.

I've gone up a couple of knicker sizes so nothing is too tight (poor husband).

I'm wondering if VA may have anything to do with it?

My gps have been very poor at diagnosing anything relating to the menopause so I will ask Dr Newson at my next appointment but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same.

I'm keen to keep all my bits in working order so if you have any advice about VA treatments, pros and cons, timings of application etc I would be very grateful.

After my hysterectomy I will essentially have a 'culdesac' nether region. I'm not too keen on rummaging around up there ;) and I understand there is a ring, does anyone have experience of that?

Has anybody had a hysterectomy and used VA treatment? If so how long did you have to wait after surgery?

When using VA treatment do you need to use condom contraceptive so that there is no transfer of oestrogen?

I'm keen to start cycling and don't want to invest in a bike if that will make matters worse. Does anybody else cycle with VA?

Sorry I've realised that's lots of questions in one post.

Thanks in advance.
X

Overview of me:

Age 44. Started periods age 12. Took CCP continuously from age 18 to 30. Melasma patches developed. Cervical dysplasia (CIN2) from age 30 to 35 which then disappeared. Cystic breasts. Heavy clotty painful periods from 37 to present due to egg sized fibroid in uterus muscle wall and polyps, resulting in horrible anaemia on and off. Due to have a total laparoscopic and vaginal hysterectomy leaving the ovaries in April 2019.

Symptoms:

In addition to heavy periods (with varying 23-28 day cycle)... reflux and swallowing problems for 4 years; 18 months ago started with areas of numbness including face, muscle and joint aches, eye pain and dryness, increased cystic breast pain, dizziness, brain fog and forgetfulness, chest flutters, shortness of breath, adrenaline rushes, weird 'sausage fingers' feeling in hands with stingy raised veins, pins and needles / 'buzzing' and heat in hands and feet, tinnitus, difficulty with cooling down with sweats or getting warm with shivers. (I've included my coping tips for these in a previous post which may help some of you ladies). Dr Newson diagnosed peri symptoms and prescribed Oestrogel to start after hysterectomy.

Had blood tests, barium swallow, nerve conduction tests, brain, spine and neck MRIs (paid privately), eye tests etc which all came back negative.

I'm active, don't drink alcohol or caffeine, don't smoke and I supplement a healthy diet with a multivit, Vit D3, B complex, Omega 3, Ester C and the dreaded iron tablets!!

Pinkjan4288

Re: VA and 'Lady Bits' Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 10:56:05 AM »

Starting BHRT has completely reversed my VA and bladder issues. Ive only been on it for 3 months but within a week I had stopped peeing all the time and I no longer have VA. Its so much more comfortable Im on Oestrogen gel and Utrogestan progesterone tablets in a sequential cycle.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 11:25:16 AM »

The ring you refer to is the Estring. I use it and it is good for urinary symptoms. It is supposed to last for 90 days  but most of us get 8-10 weeks out of it. You don't need to remove it for penetrative sex. The Vagifem pessary is another option, very slim applicator and easy to use, but use in the morning if transfer would be a problem in the evening. For vulval soreness, there is Ovestin oestrogen cream. It can sting at first, in which case mix with a bit of Olive & Bee moisturiser or Yes Oil Based. Many folk use it with no problems though. Also, use a non-hormonal vulval moisturiser once or twice daily to combat any dryness. The Yes products are best. Beware of any otc products containing chemical irritants.

JP x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 03:14:35 PM »

I use Vagifem for my VA, you can use it at anytime of the day, I have used it for 3 years everyday and my partner hasn't grown breasts yet :o so you don't need to worry about the need to use condoms.
I use an exercise bike most days, but for only about 20 minutes and don't find it affects the VA.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »

Do read our threads about vaginal atrophy.  Make notes!  ::)

You are in good hands if you have appts with Dr Newson.  Hysterectomy is a HUGE operation so getting HRT etc. sorted prior to surgery is essential.  Recovery pain plus wind  :o my friend had enough to fly a kite.  Apparently  ;D

Do make a list to take to Dr Newson.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 06:10:27 PM »

Also do have a look at the long-running "The Burning Club" thread started by Dancinggirl as it will have loads of helpful tips! https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22886.0.html. I've "bumped" it for you so that it comes to the top. Also Maryjane's posts - Jane Lewis - who wrote "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" and has done a huge amount of publicity around this issue including in the media - and is our real hero!!!

Hurdity x