Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Drainage of the East Anglian Fens  (Read 4174 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Drainage of the East Anglian Fens
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 08:01:47 AM »

Morning!  Nicholas is farming.  In the thick of it for many years.  Where does Farmers' Weekly get the stats from?  Do read Vine House web-site and ask - he's quite approachable. 

Sadly, because Governments have failed to support the farming industry since the 2nd World War and because people are more mobile, this industry has suffered greatly.  So instead of shepherds whose job is to look after sheep, the farmer has to add that into his daily routine which takes him away from something else.  In the Fens hedgerows were grubbed out to make HUGE fields, now there is 'drift' meaning that fields have to be re-sown often several times: again taking up time. 

I haven't seen evidence of farming land being taken over for new-builds in the Fens - yet.  I do see men in tractors, for days on end, without company  :-\ which is leading to mental health issues. 

sheila99

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 09:59:33 AM »

We are farming too in the same family farm since the 1920s so we've seen many changes. Don't know where fw gets it's stats but I haven't caught them out fibbing about anything else so I would believe them. Maybe his stats out of date. We are livestock so perhaps more traditional - fences (stone walls in our case) are required for livestock management. Perhaps the fens have escaped excessive building because it's low lying so risk of flooding. Sadly not the case round here.
  You're right about lack of government support though, Gove may do far more to decimate farming than the population explosion.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »

In a tiny house, in a tiny field ...........  ;) - now I've given myself an ear worm  ;D

Fens aren't subject to flooding, that's the whole point of the drainage system.  Dukes of Bedford and the Dutch in the 1700s [I think  :-\].  That's what worries me now, that fields stand in water because lack of something: doesn't allow rain to run into the dykes.  The water in the dyke at the bottom of the garden stands stagnant  :-\ instead of running away.

In parts of the Fens houses have required concrete steps in order to access the front door due to shrinkage of peat over the Centuries.  We drove by one recently and seeing it jogged a lot of memories  ::)

Nicholas keeps intense records.  If you read his reports it is quite interesting.  Also he's in a farming area of long standing so like you, has seen many alterations.  Hedges and barbed wire [wicked stuff  >:(] keeps stock in but mainly it's arable.  Wheat/barley rotation; sugar beet for the local factories; Beef cattle.  Pig farms.  A few sheep.  Soft fruits.  Most of the orchards grubbed out when we went into the Common Market because 'they' wouldn't buy our apples and pears  >:(

When I was growing up food stuff was seasonal and looked forwards to.  Bananas for example.  Asparagus - for 4-5 weeks then stopped cutting now it's earlier and earlier into the shops as well as imported from Peru.  But it needs cooking almost B4 it's cut in order to maintain the sugar content  ::).  Slathered with butter and black pepper  :-*

I love Derbyshire.  I yearn for a view ;-). I haven't read Farmers' Weekly for years  ::). It's hard to imagine the toil that farming is unless one has spent hours bent over, weeding strawberries ............ or been up in the early hours, breaking icy water for the cattle. 

May we call in next time we're up your way sheila99 ?  ;)

Cazikins

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »

I do see men in tractors, for days on end, without company  :-\ which is leading to mental health issues.

;D ;D ;D sorry CLKD but that made me chuckle. I know many tractor drivers who are at there most happiest when driving a tractor all day (my husband being one of them), he says it is just him & a machine working together, plus you can't fall out with anyone. :)

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 01:10:22 PM »

;D .  Does he have the radio on Cazikins  :D.  Some are self control nowadays  :o - put the programme in, sit back and let it go it alone.  Less people on the farms means less conversation......... apparently I sat in with the Hereford bull, reading to him ....... I was 4 and he and I got on fine, it was the adults that freaked out  :lol:.  I can remember my Uncle saying "How are we going to get her out of there B4 her Mother sees her?"  Without trying to show how worried they all were ......... always a Hereford and all called 'Thomas'  ::) and never any trouble.

Nope Birdy ......... escaped  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 06:12:43 PM »

In tears watching country file  :'(.   New farmer.  Flooded within weeks of signing for the farm.  Now all under water.  However, the house looks relative new so what ever happened up-stream has now impacted ........ plus the fact that rivers haven't been dredged on a regular basis so banks haven't been checked.

It will take 12 months B4 it begins to recover, costing him over £K100 in damage and lost income.

Having been into the Fens recently, I am amazed at the amount of standing water in fields where drains/dykes are dry and full of reeds and rushes which should have been removed on 1 side of the bank.  I have sent an e-mail to Nicholas at Deeping St Nicholas suggesting that heavier machinery plus a lack of fallow fields is the causation of impacting soil to the state where it holds water.  The whole point of the drainage system was to deviate flooding ........ the Dutch and Dukes of Bedford in the 1600s ..........

Nicholas has been keeping records on his Farm deep in the Fen for many years.  He has to keep good soil as he grows and sells bird feed.  His records are really interesting. 

sheila99

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 11:53:51 PM »

Another environmental scheme that's backfired. Leaving them uncleared was supposed to create habitat but now anything living along the banks has drowned. Same with the fires on Saddleworth Moor, the grazed land was OK, the land that was being 'environmentally managed' went up in flames that took days to put out. Anything that couldn't fly died in it.
Not sure it would have made any difference in the floods how the land was farmed, there's no way that amount of water was going to drain away. A disaster for the farmer but at least he was arable so no livestock was drowned. I think they've had some help but it's been from charities not the government.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »

You watched too  :-\.  His neighbours had 5-6 barns of chickens: over 40,000 in each  :o

Nicholas in his recent e-mail tells of how he persuaded the Water Company to cut one bank to allow critters to live on the other side, therefore providing habitat regularly along the water courses.  Also the land has dropped where it was drained, some properties around Chatteris now have 4/5 concrete steps to get into their front doors. Originally these were built at ground level. 

Welney Wash is currently 'flooded' - a proper use of flood plain to prevent surrounding areas being under water.  Still cars drive through, the Police will prosecute this year if people ignore the warnings.

I was dragged up in the Fens but escaped  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 03:32:35 PM »

Only saw a bit of it, missed the bit about the chickens. 😢

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 03:55:45 PM »

How does one move over 40,000+ coocks - probably with a lot of noise!  Apparently they were saved.

Pages: 1 [2]