Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Phone insurance why bother?  (Read 2582 times)

Tc

Phone insurance why bother?
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:29:39 PM »

Dropped my phone today and badly cracked the screen  phoned the insurance company and its a £50 excess. The phone is nearly 2 years old and is only £79.00 new!!
It's £39.00 for an early upgrade plus 15 to get out of the 2 year contract early.so that seems like the better option than claiming.

Yet again I'm wondering why I've bothered with insurance.!!!!!

jaypo

Re: Phone insurance why bother?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:34:20 PM »

Seems hardly worth it tc,my niece insured her phone and she also cracked screen,what a battle she had with them,I don't like insurance at the best of times 😡

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 07:41:46 PM »

I rarely insure items as they may be covered by our house policies.  Although the amount of times the lens falls out of my glasses because the screw works lose  :beat: - usually I feel it slip out but on Sat. it was well gone B4 I realised it was missing  :-\

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:14:34 PM »

I only buy cheap android phones so no sweat if lost/stolen. Nobody would want to steal it anyway.

Tc

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:32:50 PM »

True shadyglade. Mind you when my 16 year old beaten up but fully functioning car was stolen the insurance didn't even give me enough to buy a push bike after the excess!!
They can have only taken it for parts but it was worth so much more to me than that and the insurance pay out was so measly it realy wasn't worth insuring it. Especially as I had to pay the next 6 months of insurance instalments even though I no longer had a car!! But we have to have it legally!!!
Alt least with mobile insurance it's a choice  one I don't think I will be making next time!!

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 10:34:19 PM »

I only buy cheap android phones so no sweat if lost/stolen. Nobody would want to steal it anyway.
I buy fairly cheap(mid range) android outright on a SIM only deal and never pay any insurance.

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 08:49:00 AM »

My son gets his mobile phone insurance free with his bank.  He dropped his in a river, it was less than a year old.  He had a £50 excess, but as his phone cost £500 to replace it was worth claiming.  He was very happy with the service.  He got his replacement in less than a week. 
Certainly not worth claiming (or paying for a policy) if you have a cheap phone.

Tc

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »

I think that's the key little Minnie.
I don't usually insure cheap items and of course the insurance is worth it with an expensive item if you make a claim in the early days but the more time goes by the less the item is worth. It's a racket realy.
Take life insurance, my family will .definitely end up getting less than I paid in.
My friend has her Phone, home insurance and breakdown cover included with her bank account.

Ladybt28

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 05:41:20 PM »

we get our phone insurance through the bank like Littleminnies' son.  We have had to claim at least 3 times and it has been brilliant but then like him the phones were expensive - 2 were Apple I think and then a Samsung - so would have been mega bucks without the insurance because you would have still had to continue with the contract as they were bought through that.
The only other thing we insure household wise if the washing machine and we have had real good value from that insurance.  I know people say it's not worth it but our last one we had repaired 4 times over 18 years and didnt have to worry about finding call out fees and huge bills for parts when you were least expecting it.
Also a washing machine is not the kind of thing you can wait to fix really.