Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Green lipped mussel  (Read 9230 times)

Jeepers

Green lipped mussel
« on: February 12, 2019, 03:17:08 PM »

Hi

Has anyone tried Green lipped mussel, and if so, how did you get on with it?  I'm looking for something to help with my joint aches, which seem to come and go

Thanks

Jeepers x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Green lipped mussel
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 03:47:24 PM »

Should we be taking mussels from the wild though  :-\ - 20 years ago I considered it for my dog's aches and pains but at the time there wasn't a chemical synthesis so we went for Metacam.

It supposedly has good results for dogs.  So depending on how 'green'  ;) you feel about the environment ?  Perhaps give it a go, see if it helps but looking for a synsthesised product at the same time?

Then let me know.

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 05:06:19 PM »

As far as I know all mussels are wild.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 07:07:08 PM »

But not all have the pain relieving effects apparently.  I don't eat them these days ........

Shadyglade

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:12:01 PM »

Just the green lipped ones.

Your not concentrating today CLKD.  :madeyes:

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »

It's my ear  :-\ - stops me cocentrating

Suitable for cats and dogs, Denes Green Lipped Mussel is a daily nutritional supplement designed to promote joint mobility and encourage tissue health. Containing the effective ingredients Green Lipped Mussel extract and Glucosamine Sulphate, Denes Green Lipped Mussel Supplement is highly regarded and recommended.

Cats and toy dogs:0.25 level scoop once daily

Small dogs:0.5 level scoop once daily

Medium dogs:1 level scoop once daily

Denes Greenlipped Mussel for Dogs | Dog & Cat Joint Supplement
VioVet
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:22:44 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 07:25:09 PM »

by 'canin'

01 March 2014, at 12:00am
Ian Williams in this third in a series of articles from Royal Canin on the latest knowledge behind nutrients that can be of benefit to cats and dogs, looks at green-lipped mussels...

Also:  Holland & Barrett Green Lipped Mussel 500mg 100 Capsules
 Â£7.49 - was £14.99

Jeepers

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 05:51:47 PM »

thanks all,

CLKD, you raise a good point about environmental responsibility.  I'll do a bit more research into alternatives  :thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 06:00:49 PM »

It seems that since green lipped mussels were suggested to ease pain in pets, that it has been synthesised as well as there may be plenty of mussels out there.  After all, humans eat them  :-X.  Apparently  :D.  So if they are farmed it may be OK . 

Let us know!

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:51 PM »

Jeepers I have PM'd you re GLM.

AgathaC

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »

Shadyglade - if it's interesting information, please could you send it to me too? I value your opinions xxx

Shadyglade

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 07:56:54 PM »

Shadyglade - if it's interesting information, please could you send it to me too? I value your opinions xxx

Have PM'd

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 06:44:36 PM »

Haha!  The title just made me laugh (sorry Jeepers - no offence - just the name!!). What will they think of next?!!! I've never heard of this one - well except coincidentally I ate some on holiday. We ordered steamed mussels and they were these. However I didn't realise they are farmed and imported from New Zealand :( . Thought I was eating the real thing harvested locally.....

I had a very quick look online and a site selling supplements was full of praise for its effectiveness, but webMD said "More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of New Zealand green-lipped mussels for these uses." https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-830/new-zealand-green-lipped-mussel (the "uses" being asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis).

In your position Jeepers if you want to take an omega 3 supplement I would just go for the usual ones available more cheaply I think in UK - ie cod liver oil and similar? (CLKD we are not supposed to promote the sale of this sort of thing!!!!). If you like fish then increase the amount of fish in your diet (especially oily fish) and eat mussels themselves -  we love them in our household  ::) . You can even get moules in white wine sauce pre-packaged and ready cooked in L*** (!). Sorry to hear about your joint aches - have you been checked out by the doc and do they occur at any particular time?

Shadyglade - if you have any further info we would all be interested in reading about it so do post a link as long as it's not on a site that sells supplements though! It's a new one on me and probably for many of us.... (unless I've led a sheltered life  ::) ).

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 07:49:47 PM »

I don't like fish  :-\ much.  A balanced diet for our health is the best way to go: a little of what I fancy then  ;) as well as lots of fresh air and exercise.  Note to self  :-\

Green Lipped mussel has been around for years in pet medicine.  It was suggested 2 me in the late 1990s for my  :scottie: but I am against taking anything from the wild. 

Shadyglade

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 10:18:39 PM »

Bit of luck you don't like fish much then. 😋
Pages: [1] 2 3