Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2414 times)

Ellie Atkins

« on: March 02, 2019, 04:52:15 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum but not to the menopause!!
I am 60 years old, having hot sweats then the chills, the sleepless nights and pretty much everything else that goes with it is certainly nothing new!! I have been having all these symptoms for approx 10 years now and is really getting beyond a joke. I recently started to believe it could possibly be something more sinister :sweatdrop: I have had a complete MOT and it has been confirmed that it is the menopause, thankfully !!:), so I went to see my nurse practitioner for a chat she talked about HRT which I have always said no to, I think it was merely because of ignorance ( knowing nothing about it!!) I have been seriously thinking about it now though.
I await an appointment for the next step, could anyone tell me the pros and cons of the HRT patches please, all info greatly appreciated, thank you for taking a look at my post :cheer: :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:56:25 PM by Ellie 58 »

Kathleen

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 05:15:33 PM »

Hello  Ellie 58 and welcome to the forum.

There are many knowledgeable ladies on this site who can advise you about patches plus other methods are available so don't despair if they don't suit you.

I had my last period at 54 and began using HRT at 57 so I was also one of those women who tried to tough it out but then decided I needed some help.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:33:20 PM »

:welcomemm:  maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary and decide which symptom you would like to ease first?  Do you need HRT, is anything particularly bothersome ? 

Let us know how you get on.  Do be aware of vaginal atrophy  ;)

Ellie Atkins

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:25:29 PM »

Thanks to you both, Kathleen & CLKD,

It's  probably a good idea to keep a diary to check on how things progress.
I can't  remember the exact time frame but I had 2 periods about 2 years apart  : :sigh:, (I had  been as regular as clockwork previously), since then I've seen nothing , it's been a couple of years since the last one. It's  like going into the unknown but I'm  going with eyes wide open & hoping the outcome will be a good one.

Thanks again :bighug:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:52:25 AM by Ellie 58 »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 05:21:15 PM »

My periods waxed and waned ..... but I didn't stop carrying protection for about 5 years  ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:01:49 PM by CLKD »

Ellie Atkins

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 07:53:17 PM »

Hi Stellajane,

Thank you for your input, I spend a lot of time outdoors with my photography and in these temperatures you'd think the sweats would have abated a little, but no, I'm certain  that my thermostat is definitely in need of a service ;D!!! On a serious note though,  looking back I think I should've looked into this problem long before now before it got so bad,  and after reading some of the info on this forum I'm going to start with the HRT in one form or another, hoping to get a call at some point this week to discuss my options,  will keep you updated  :bighug:

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 08:02:21 PM »

Let us know  :thankyou:

Ellie Atkins

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »

Good morning ladies,

I have got my appointment , happy days!! Going to see what can be done on 19th March, so keeping fingers crossed  :clapping: ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »

Make that list to take with you  ;) and don't feel fobbed off - if you are offered a prescription but you don't think it's appropriate, then don't change it until you've done some asking here and further research.  A few days of not taking medication won't matter in the long run.

Some GPs still insist on anti-depressants rather than HRT  ::) ........ you can put the offered medication into the Search box on here ;-)

Ellie Atkins

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 06:09:00 PM »

Good advice CLKD, I've already got an ongoing diary, and recorded changes etc, but this was mainly  because I have Colitis and am careful with diet and exercise and do have to take daily meds for this, but I've never liked to take any kind of meds so will be doing my research first, I certainly won't be fobbed off!!! :)

Ellie Atkins

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 11:01:44 AM »

Hello ladies,

I've not been online for a while, so here's my update  : I went for my consult on the 19/3/19 had a very in depth conversation with my nurse and after some research I decided to give the patches ago  :) I was prescribed the Evorel Conti patches and started with them on the day after my consult, I have put the 6th patch on today and I am hoping this isn't my wishful thinking put my night sweats seem to be in decline!!! I have always been an optimist so I am staying very positive ;D ;D. Over the past few weeks I have also lost a little bit of weight so i'm thinking too that this can only be a good thing right?!! I have to go for another consult in 9 weeks to see how the patches are working out so fingers crossed. Thank you for listening , It's nice to know there is always someone out there when we need to vent a little!! ;) ;)