Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Prescription charges  (Read 7882 times)

Dancing Queen

Prescription charges
« on: February 11, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »

I`ve just got back from the Drs with my 1st prescrition of Evorel Sequi to replace the Femseven Sequi which is no longer available and am horrified at the cost.  I was charged a double prescription charge (no idea why)  of £17.60 and got just 8 patches which at 2 a week will last 4 weeks. I got 6 MONTHS worth of Femseven Sequi for the same price! Does anyone know if they come in packs of more than 8 and why I would have been charged double. I asked the receptionist and she said "it just is" and I was so desperate for them as my last patch had fallen off 2 days ago I just paid it!   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Prescription charges
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »

Have a word with the local Pharmacist?  Maybe you have two prescription charges ........ ?  At my age I don't pay any more ;-)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:29:41 AM »

There are two components in the pack so two charges. I was always charged for two when I was on sequi apart from the first month when the pharmacy made a mistake. Ask your GP if you can have three months at a time. I did that.

Taz x   :)

Dancing Queen

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »

Thanks Taz, If I can get 3 months for the same price I will ask for more next time if they suit me. They were in a great big box and I was horrified to see there were only 8 in there and that I had to change them twice a week!

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 01:00:08 PM »

Yes it's expensive! I don't have to pay now so have been put back on to a monthly prescription.

Taz x

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 01:40:03 PM »

The other thing to do if you can't get 3 month's worth is to look at pre-payment.

If you are clever and get a 3 month cert, with a prescription at the beginning and one at the end of the 3 months, it works out cheaper.

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »

Your gp should be aware of these situations and give you 3 months supply hopefully. It's too much to pay all the time.  Trouble is the government discourage "over prescribing" because of waste which is understandable, but in the past my gp was sympathetic about it.

Dancing Queen

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 03:59:04 PM »

Thanks Dahliagirl I hadn`t heard of 3 month prepaid prescriptions - if I can`t get the Dr to give me what I want at least this will cut the cost in half  :)

Robin

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »

I have a yearly one which I pay monthly by direct debit. It works out really good value for me

Robin

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:08:14 PM »

i think it's £104 in total but paid in monthly instalments. They let me know when it's about to run out but automatically renew it unless I request otherwise

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 06:57:04 PM »

I couldn't have afforded all my asthma meds (which in my case has been life threatening on occasion) and HRT if it hadn't been for for the prepayment certificate. Originally I had to find £100 in one go, but a few years back I was able to pay monthly, which was brilliant. One the perks of being 60 was not having to pay.

Robin

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »

I get between 6 - 9 items per month so saves me a fortune

dahliagirl

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 10:48:44 PM »

If you don't quite have enough prescriptions for the annual certificate you can get round it using the 3 month one to its fullest extent. The pharmacist told me. It is a pain because you have to be quite organised so I don't always do it but my husband was good at it.

Robin

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 07:38:27 AM »

I've just had a look and it's £10.40 a month for 10 months to get covered for a year. That's not much more than the cost of one prescription per month. I get 5 HRT prescription products each month plus several prescription items for menopause related problems so I'm saving an awful lot.

dahliagirl

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/prescription-prepayment-certificates

The three month thing works like this:

If you always have more than one prescription charge per month, ie 12 per year (£105.60), then a 1 year certificate at £104 saves you money.

If you are on the borderline, then it doesn't quite work out (like me - a double charge for 3 month's sequi, and a single charge for vagifem which can be longer than 1 every 3 months).

If you purchase a 3 month certificate, you get your 3 charges on at the beginning of the certificate at £29.10 (it would have cost £26.40) and then next sequi on the end (would have cost another £17.60).  Timing is crucial.  Then when your next prescription is due, you get a new 3 month card.

If you pay for prescriptions and are not sure if you need a pre-payment card, you can get a receipt from the pharmacy for the money paid and claim it back retrospectively.
Pages: [1] 2 3