Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Childhood foods; good, bad and ugly  (Read 30104 times)

Droopeydrawers

Re: Childhood foods; good, bad and ugly
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 05:15:07 PM »

When myself and the toy boy were "winching" lol I went to his mum's house for Saturday night tea and she'd made a fry up with chips.i thought she was the cleverest woman id ever met because she'd had the patience to cut all those little zig zags in the chips.it was Frozen crinkle cut chips lol id never seen a fozen chip or heard of them let alone eaten them.
We were brought up in a room and kitchen 5 of us, outside toilet on the tenement landing shared by 3 families.My mum was a milkmaid on her 3 wheeled bike with milk urn on the back which she filled the customers jugs from and my dad was a lamp lighter for the gas mantle lamps that lit up the closes in Glasgow.I never ever felt deprived or underprivileged we were loved and felt loved.DD😘

AgathaC

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 05:28:27 PM »

Very interesting points, ladies.
I have started serving my children (17,12,10) BOILED potatoes.
At first they were like “what are these??”  ;D
They are used to eating Roast, Mash, New, Boulangere, Dauphinoise, Chips - you name it but not just plain old peeled and boiled!!!
My mum has always talked about home cooked unprocessed meals as being the most healthy thing for us and I have to say she is right. Seasonal, simple, unprocessed.
I grew up in the 70's and 80's and processed food for us was a tin of baked beans. Everything else was simple and unprocessed. Fish and veg. Meat and veg.
I think I was lucky that my mum was a great and caring cook.
I made a pie with my son recently. He said it tasted better than any pie he'd ever eaten. Just easy pastry and stewed apples, bless him xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 05:34:19 PM »

Instant Whip?  Birds custard mixed with hot water or milk? Now in packets which are great when camping.

Mashed spuds go a long way.  Boiled can be sliced the next day and fried - bubble and squeak was enjoyed in our house  ;). New potatoes with freshly picked mint leaves and lots of butter and black pepper - same as freshly picked broad beans: podded, simmered gently, served with butter and black pepper.  OHHHH  8)

Any one get cold cooked tongue as a treat on Sundays  :-X

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 05:41:12 PM »

Nooooo. ::)
Id have Thought I'd done something really naughty if my mum gave me something like that 😂😂 :sick02:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2019, 07:00:38 PM »

:rofl:  apparently it was a treat  :o ....... I suppose in the war any meat was welcome and my Grandparents were more used to eating the whole animal  :D ...... except of course, the squeak ........

Roseneath

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 09:09:53 PM »

Just remembered....I used to love Heinz Ox Tail soup - never used to think where it came from.   Had little stomach button sized pieces of chewy, gravy coloured meat.   Don't think it exists any more.   My mother rarely cooked from scratch. Processed was the nouvelle cuisine in our house.  We had tinned rice pudding with broken up piece of penguin biscuit mixed in once. The height of sophistication. Tasty though....
The only time we had anything resembling cooking was this strange casserole which had bits of chicken with an assorted mixture of tinned veg - could be mixed veg, tomato, broad beans. It was called ' Bobs' Cock' (Coqu?) for some reason. (My father is Robert so I now think this was an adult joke of some kind). Never thought to critique the food. Just ate it!

AgathaC

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »

Hello Roseneath.
The boiled potatoes have been an eye opener for my children.
I'm wondering what's going to happen if I serve up Bob's Cock followed by Penguin Rice Pudding.
If we do a Menopause Cookbook, I fear we will make limited sales.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:24 PM »

I used to eat that Roseneath, with bits of bread floating on the top.
Ox tail soup, errr couldn't eat it now!

Shadyglade

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 08:29:25 AM »

I live boiled potatoes with lots of butter.

Yummy 😋

Katejo

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 08:38:57 AM »

I live boiled potatoes with lots of butter.

Yummy 😋
I often eat boiled potatoes  now but I use the smaller salad potatoes or new potatoes. I don't bother to peel them.

Countrygirl

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2019, 09:50:38 AM »

You can't beat new potatoes in a hot potato salad or jersey royals with lots of butter yummy x

Shadyglade

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 09:55:07 AM »

I bought some new potatoes yesterday, just for a Change. My husband thought it was the height of decedance to buy them in winter.

Katejo

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2019, 12:07:50 PM »

You can't beat new potatoes in a hot potato salad or jersey royals with lots of butter yummy x
  I often par cook them and then bake them In the oven. At the last minute I stir in a small amount of Stilton chopped into tiny bits and leave it in the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt and coat the potato chunks. I often eat that with chicken and spinach or carrots.

jaypo

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 12:10:46 PM »

Don't barf or anything but my ex and his two brothers loved potatoes in custard 🤢

Salad

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »

You've just reminded me of a fizzy drink maker my friend had.  Was it called Soda Stream maybe?
I thought it was so stylish. The drinks tasted foul though - the cola was weird and metallic tasting.
Always made out I loved it though!

I used to get cherry Panda pops from a local youth club. Would give me a migraine now...

Just bought a Soda Stream to make my tap water in to sparkling water, to cut down on buying plastic.
Relieved to say progress has been made since I last owned one in the 80's and it no longer explodes when you use it  ;D

I used to love ‘Lord Toffingham' ice lollies - chocolate outside and chewy toffee inside
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21