Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Childhood foods; good, bad and ugly  (Read 30101 times)

jaypo

Re: Childhood foods; good, bad and ugly
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 08:38:39 PM »

Tinned pears and condensed milk😊

Katejo

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »

Talk of Vesta meals and Angel Delight brings back memories of the 1970s the start of convenience foods in our house when my mum started to go out to work. Until then everything was home cooked as we did no have money for expensive foods as my mum called them. Really unhealthy when you look at the ingredients and the knowledge we have about bad stuff today especially mono sodium glutamate the flavour enhancer which was widely used then.

My husband likes to tell me all about the flavours of Angel Delight he used to have, the Lemon Meringue packet mix and cake mixes they endured so his mother could save time on feeding a family of six. They had more money than my family.

Does anyone remember their grandparents revelling in the use of cream on all desserts in the 1960s and 1970s? This was no doubt a luxury to them as cream was something to aspire to during WW2 when food was rationed.   

No doubt in years to come future generations will laugh at the concept of KFC and MacDonalds!!!!!!!
I like your comment on cream. I have a one off recollection of my great auntie talking about cream as a special treat for us and being so surprised to hear that we didn't like it. That must have been very early 70's I do like cream now as an occasional treat.

Katejo

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 09:04:47 PM »

Talk of Vesta meals and Angel Delight brings back memories of the 1970s the start of convenience foods in our house when my mum started to go out to work. Until then everything was home cooked as we did no have money for expensive foods as my mum called them. Really unhealthy when you look at the ingredients and the knowledge we have about bad stuff today especially mono sodium glutamate the flavour enhancer which was widely used then.

My husband likes to tell me all about the flavours of Angel Delight he used to have, the Lemon Meringue packet mix and cake mixes they endured so his mother could save time on feeding a family of six. They had more money than my family.

Does anyone remember their grandparents revelling in the use of cream on all desserts in the 1960s and 1970s? This was no doubt a luxury to them as cream was something to aspire to during WW2 when food was rationed.   

No doubt in years to come future generations will laugh at the concept of KFC and MacDonalds!!!!!!!
My mum had a thing against shop bought cakes or puddings. She went very much for home made. One of my earliest memories is helping her to make cakes and cleaning the bowl afterwards.

Countrygirl

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 09:09:48 PM »

I used to love flaked rice pudding with grated nutmeg on which my gran made with I think it was sterilised milk (it came in a tall skinny glass bottle with a I think gold metal cap like beer bottle ones from the milkman) it was my favourite pudding x

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 10:22:14 PM »

I used to love flaked rice pudding with grated nutmeg on which my gran made with I think it was sterilised milk (it came in a tall skinny glass bottle with a I think gold metal cap like beer bottle ones from the milkman) it was my favourite pudding x
When I was very small, my Grandma used to make fantastic coconut ice. Overall her cooking wasn't very good. We used to joke about it. My other grandma was a much better cook. However I did love the coconut ice and her version of bacon and egg for breakfast. She used to chop the egg, bacon and fried bread into small pieces and put it in a bowl when we were small. It somehow tasted better that way or just different and we asked her to do it even when we were bigger and didn't need it cut up.

JaneinPen

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 09:34:33 AM »

Gypsy Tart. It's a Kent thing.
My mums cornbeef pie.
Cheese and jam sandwiches
Salard with fresh peas from the garden

Loved all the above.
I was brought up in Kent too and absolutely loved gypsy tart. Bread and butter pudding too. Had to have a crispy top

Shadyglade

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »

Gypsy Tart. It's a Kent thing.
My mums cornbeef pie.
Cheese and jam sandwiches
Salard with fresh peas from the garden

Loved all the above.
I was brought up in Kent too and absolutely loved gypsy tart. Bread and butter pudding too. Had to have a crispy top

:great:
Can still buy it in some cake shops. Mega sugar hit though.

jaypo

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 10:09:13 AM »

Oh shady,blimey I went back in time there,my mum used to make corned beef pie,totally forgot about that 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »

Condensed milk on bread
Sugar sandwiches
HP sauce on hot toast
My sister loved those small sausages in baked beans  :sick02:

Bilberries; blue berries; whimberries; winberries ........ as the same plant.  We used to pick bilberries in Wales, the dog would pick her own  ::)

star35

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2019, 06:01:44 PM »

went out to lunch with DD today and they were selling gypsy tart, so we both had a piece. I had forgot all about gypsy tart until I read it on here, quite surprised to see it in the restaurant.

Roseneath

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2019, 08:26:31 PM »

Never heard of Gypsy tart but just looked up the recipe; quite simple  evaporated milk & sugar in pastry case? I love egg custards if it tastes like that. 

We used to have Heinz spaghetti bolognese in a tin on toast!    I assume everyone had it like that until I was about 18 and a friends mum made it from scratch with mince.  I still love spaghetti in tomato sauce in a tin on toast...Have never got into sardines from a tin. Tried to like them but  :sick02:   Same with anchovies.

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 04:07:33 PM »

I never liked sardines from the tin Roseneath but have you tried skippers? A smaller version of a sardine they're much nicer but you don't tend to see them on shelves so much now.
My mum was a very old fashioned cook in Glasgow.no processed foods of any kind other than a tin of beans maybe.
Everything was cooked from scratch always a huge pot of chicken soup on the stove the eggs had to have the wee lion stamped on them or she wouldnt buy and we used to do battle for a brown one at the breakfast table lol..you could have stood a knife in her porridge and we used to sprinkle sugar on it and top with milk i always got the cream because I was so thin lol changed days.Her jelly always had a big skin on it and we hated getting that bit and the oven cooked rice pudding always had a big brown skin on it that I hated.I do miss my mum's cooking though lol.
Everything was bought from the butchers the fruit shop the grocers.it was fresh butter moulded with the big paddles wrapped in greaseproof paper.It was great in its time especially the proper Italian ice cream that you took a bowl to the cafe to buy it and was covered with greaseproof paper and you'd to run all the way home with it before it melted happy days im feeling very nostalgic now 😂DD😘

jaypo

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 04:13:54 PM »

My mum used to make a huge pot of broth,I can't make anything close to it,also the rice pudding but I LOVED the skin

Roseneath

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 04:34:02 PM »

Isn't it ironic that people have so much more disposable income these days but eat a poorer diet in terms of both taste and nutrients.
Supermarket veg is so bland. Meat is stuffed with water and hormones.  All the processed and convenience stuff. I have just re-read all the Arthur Ransom books and they are full of delight over simple fayre like boiled eggs and salt, fresh apples from trees, homemade fruit cake.
We probably don't do enough physical work or exercise to ever be really hungry these days.

Babycham anyone?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 04:47:44 PM »

;D. no thanks.  I would have a glass of Babycham at lunch time but in the early hours my gut would bubble ..... trapped wind, I would feel SO sick.  Twice.  Never again. 

Generally the population did different jobs too.  My background is farming or In Service on both sides.  Days began early.  Breakfast was the main meal to keep the workers fuelled for the day.  11 o'clock we took sandwiches or scones to the fields and the men came home for lunch at 12.30.  They then worked until 6.00 - home for a bath, supper and bed.   Some were herdsmen, others did ploughing behind huge Shires :-). 

Granma - born in the 1880s - went to school on a bowl of porridge taking a slab of bread with butter or pork dripping.  She went into Service.  Every household in the country had a garden or access to growing space: spuds, greens in season, peas/beans/salads throughout the Summer.  Bottling and canning was common and every house-maid learned how.  Nothing was wasted.  Ash from the fires went onto the garden when it rested - parts were not planted for that year.  Worms did their job.

I agree Roseneath - Yorkshire pudding of course was served prior to the main meal so that meat went further.  Chicken was expensive and a treat!  I don't know how people managed in the towns but in the villages we had : butchers, bakery, grocery, milk delivered ..........

Tinned foods were much a part of our life.  Kept for years! OK there was sugar in the cans but we survived because we exercised it off.

Beefburgers etc. hadn't been invented then.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:55:50 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21