Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Childhood foods; good, bad and ugly  (Read 30743 times)

Roseneath

Childhood foods; good, bad and ugly
« on: February 02, 2019, 04:43:16 PM »

My kids asked me today what I ate as a child. Thought it may make an interesting thread.
My mum never cooked so we lived off processed food 1970s style:

Vesta Currys (reconstituted meat pellets)
Primla cheese triangles (Different colours/flavours in a round box - I loved the tomato one!)
Findas crispy pancakes - hot on the inside and hard like cardboard on the outside

jaypo

Re: Childhood foods; good, bad and ugly
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 04:52:47 PM »

I used to get a Vesta curry for a treat 😆 you still get the findus pancakes

Two hoots

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:11:48 PM »

Yes I liked the Vesta curry as well, very exotic  ;D

Still one of my favourites fish fingers.
Angel Delight
Tinned fruit cocktail and tinned cream
Smash potato

::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 05:13:57 PM »

Have bumped similar threads

We had school dinners so ate evening meal at 5.00 and most weeks it would be the same

Left overs from Sunday - tea would include tinned peaches or mandarin orgenges with tinned milk
Boiled egg with soldiers
Beans on toast
Fish fingers with beans and/or chips

Spam
Angel Delight

Roseneath

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »

My mum always used to make me cheese spread sandwiches (upwrapped) then put a banana in the lunch box. By lunchtime the sandwiches would be slightly soggy and taste of warm banana. Knowing my mother as I do now she probably did it on purpose!

My husband goes on about bilberry (?) tarts he used to get at the bakers. Maybe a Yorkshire thing, we never had them in Derbyshire....

Shadyglade

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 05:53:37 PM »

Gypsy Tart. It's a Kent thing.
My mums cornbeef pie.
Cheese and jam sandwiches
Salard with fresh peas from the garden

Loved all the above.

katsclaws

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »

We see people picking bilberries on the Pennines, Roseneath. Bilberry tart tastes wonderful.
My mum was an excellent cook so we had lots of roast dinners and my dad was often given pheasant and salmon.

Roseneath

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 06:40:52 PM »

You've just reminded me of a fizzy drink maker my friend had.  Was it called Soda Stream maybe?
I thought it was so stylish. The drinks tasted foul though - the cola was weird and metallic tasting.
Always made out I loved it though!

I used to get cherry Panda pops from a local youth club. Would give me a migraine now...

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 06:42:49 PM »

My mom used to make coconut rock cakes. OMG, they were delicious.
We used to eat them still warm, she couldn't make enough of them, (there was seven of us)
Lol.  I've tried making them, but I'm not really a cake baker. Lol

We used to get cooked meals all week, then Friday night was chippy, and the weekend was salad, sandwiches, pork pies, ect.....then a big Sunday dinner. I come from a family of big eaters, and not one of them was fat....lol..

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 06:43:55 PM »

My mum had a soda stream,many a time it exploded all over the ceiling 😆
I used to love gypsy creams

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 06:44:37 PM »

Gypsy Tart. It's a Kent thing.
My mums cornbeef pie.
Cheese and jam sandwiches
Salard with fresh peas from the garden

Loved all the above.
Gypsy tart was always a love or hate thing. I hated it. My mum was very into cooking so we had a lot of roast dinners (Sunday only), cold meat and salad, lasagne, spaghetti Bolognese, Shepherds Pie, cheese and onion flan (also with salad), sausage, chips and beans, liver & bacon with mashed potato, home made stews, apple crumble/sponge puddings and cooked breakfasts amongst other things.
Where in Kent did you live? I was in the Medway Towns (Rainham/Gillingham during my school years).

Shadyglade

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »

Still in Kent but now in Tunbridge Wells area. Brought up on the North Downs, not far from Ashford.

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 07:05:59 PM »

My husband goes on about bilberry (?) tarts he used to get at the bakers. Maybe a Yorkshire thing, we never had them in Derbyshire....

I bet you've eaten them but by a different name. They're called whinberries here in NW Derbyshire. We even have Whinberry Wood just up the road so presumably called whinberries for a long time. Where I grew up in Cumbria they were billberries.

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 07:06:11 PM »

Still in Kent but now in Tunbridge Wells area. Brought up on the North Downs, not far from Ashford.
I haven't lived there for a long time. I moved to London as a student in 1983 and later my Dad sold the Rochester house and moved back to London in 2000. I do go back from time to time.

Krystal

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 07:36:29 PM »

Talk of Vesta meals and Angel Delight brings back memories of the 1970s the start of convenience foods in our house when my mum started to go out to work. Until then everything was home cooked as we did no have money for expensive foods as my mum called them. Really unhealthy when you look at the ingredients and the knowledge we have about bad stuff today especially mono sodium glutamate the flavour enhancer which was widely used then.

My husband likes to tell me all about the flavours of Angel Delight he used to have, the Lemon Meringue packet mix and cake mixes they endured so his mother could save time on feeding a family of six. They had more money than my family.

Does anyone remember their grandparents revelling in the use of cream on all desserts in the 1960s and 1970s? This was no doubt a luxury to them as cream was something to aspire to during WW2 when food was rationed.   

No doubt in years to come future generations will laugh at the concept of KFC and MacDonalds!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21