Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advice on taking Utrogestan 100 please  (Read 7001 times)

Dotty

Re: Advice on taking Utrogestan 100 please
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »

Hi it's the same tablet as you take orally. It's not licensed for use vaginally in UK but it is in many other countries x

Jules53

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »

Ok thanks Dotty. So the likelihood is that she'll say no then? If she does say no I may have to take it for a shorter amount of time then and have a bleed😥 x

Dotty

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 01:44:46 PM »

She might say no but it doesn't mean you can't take it vaginally 😄

Dotty

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 01:51:13 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aT3aSVfjb20

Have a look at this from Dr Renee Hoenderkamp

Ladybt28

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »

As Dotty says there is not wording written down for prescribing vaginally but loads of consultants and GP's know that it can be used that way.  The reason is it bypasses the stomach and any stomach issues (which you have experienced).  I use it that way and have done so for 7 months.  My consultant has no problem with it.  The problem comes when GP's or consultants are not up to date with the latest "thoughts" on menopause.  it is perfectly safe to use vaginally and there are thousands of women who do this Jules. 

Originally I spoke with a meno nurse of 25 years "experience" who said she had never heard of using that way and then she spoke to the consultant who said "yes - no problem" …. nurse said to me "you learn something new everyday"!  It is likely you might encounter this sort of thing.  You can still use it vaginally whatever they say!

Jules53

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 04:42:58 PM »

Thanks ladies.

I think I will try it vaginally tomorrow anyway as my stomach is so uncomfortable today! Ladybt28 did you have trouble when you took it orally? Do you use it continually?

I've got 3 months worth of the 100's so I've got enough time keep me going😁. I can't believe I had such a good day yesterday but today is rubbish. I guess it's trial and error though and I'm being impatient!

Thanks.

Jules x

Ladybt28

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 12:18:22 AM »

I have never taken it orally Jules -  I have had trouble in the past with tablets, nausea and reflux and I definitely have problems with progesterone generally so having read everything here - I was never going to risk it.  Oral hrt has to go through the stomach and get processed by the liver.  That process can cause different side affects plus being digested by stomach acid is known to change how efficiently the body processes and absorbes the hrt.

I also don't take it continuously either because I suffer from hormonal depression and when I took another form of progesterone called Provera it made me manic and suicidal big time!  I use the utrogestan on a cycle vaginally although I am post menopausal at 57 and it is manageable and by the far part of the best system of hrt I have had for me and I have had to go through quite a few (my hrt journey started 10 years ago) to find the right one but I use oestrogel 4 pumps and utrogestan on a cycle and have done for 7 months.

For the first time in years I am actually getting a life!
It is very much trial and error and you need bucket loads of patience unfortunately  :)

Jules53

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 06:20:00 AM »

Thanks for your reply Ladybt28. Sorry to hear you have had such a bad time of it.

I didn't take the Utrogestan at all last night as I'm speaking to my doctor today. I have got a bad pain between my shoulder blades, which I get when my acid reflux plays up. I generally feel crap and want this meno rubbish to end! I need to find a HRT regime that is good for me. Please could you let me know the cycle you use for the Utrogestan - when you take it and for how many days?

Will let you know what the doctor says.

Thanks again.

Jules x

Traceylr

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 08:38:40 AM »

hi Jules,
I haven taken  utrogestan 100mg vaginally every night for the past 12 months.I have no problems at all taking it this way. I changed from oral use as it made me really depressed taken that way. I dont have any bleeds, but... ocassionally I have a bit of spotting. I have gradually reduced my oestrogen patch from 50mcg to 37.5 mcg ( changed twice weekly) and this appears to have helped with the spotting. I have annual uterine scans which show the lining is @ 2.6 mm so the utrogestan is doing its job . Its a weaker ( natural) progesterone and in my case works well with the lower amount of oestrogen , which thankful appears to be enough for me presently.
hope this is useful info.

Jules53

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 08:23:53 PM »

Thanks Traceylr, that's very useful information.

I spoke to the doctor today and she is checking it out with the pharmacist (about using Utrogestan vaginally) and said the pharmacist will call me tomorrow. She also said there is another progesterone I could use vaginally but it's more commonly used for women who are going through IVF! Ithink it's called Cyclogest

I would rather stick with the Utrogestan and may try it tonight to see how I get on. Will keep you posted x

sylv1962

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 06:19:48 AM »

Hi - Its far more likely to be the Utrogestan that's making you feel tired. It takes 72 hrs for the effects to wear off so yesterday mornings dose will still be in your system. Stick with it, this side effect may lessen.
hello, I'm taking 2 pumps of eostrodiol a day and 100mg of utrogestan every other night vaginally. Been fantastic since December. However past week feel very dizzy and extra tired almost drunk on night I take utrogestan. Feels like dose a bit high for me. Anyone been advised that every 2nd night would be OK to contract two pumps of eostrodiol? Waiting to see gp but she is learning with me. 😢

sylv1962

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 06:25:33 AM »

Is it OK to take 100mg of utrogestan vaginally every second night rather than every other night when taking two pumps of eostrodiol every day. Feel current dose of utrogestan too high. I know u absorb more vaginally too. Its making me very very dizzy and extra tired on night I take it. Got gp apt but she's learning with me too.

Hurdity

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 08:33:56 AM »

I presume you mean every third day rather than every 2nd day which is what you are doiing at the moment ie every other day?

Hi Sylv62. The thing is you are already using an off-licence regime - which I know is prescribed by some private (and maybe NHS) gynaes - because some research has shown that you need approx half the dose of progesterone vaginally as orally, to protect the endometrium. However it is not the side effects only which need to direct your dosing, but how well the regime protects the womb - or rather finding a happy medium along with your doctor!

It may well work fine for you and there have been some members who have taken it only twice a week or so (one I think in Switzerland - can't remember her name - she posted in the very long-running Utrogestan/Oestrogel support group in "All Things Menopause"?). It would obviously be better on lower oestrogen doses but I would discuass with your doc as your endometrium would need monitoring. You may start to get spotting and this would indicate the lining is building up.

Hurdity x

sylv1962

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »

Hurdity thank u for yr reply. Will be useful to bring to GP. Yes meant 3rd, sorry was dizzy when writing in early hours :o
All things menopause, is that another forum? Do u have a link? Thanks again for yr help

Jenna

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]