Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Antibiotics - on borrowed time. Angela Rippon last night  (Read 1315 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Antibiotics - on borrowed time. Angela Rippon last night
« on: January 31, 2019, 05:45:04 PM »

Quite interesting though they tried to cover too much.  Angela put her palm onto a Petri dish but as DH pointed out: it was in the open air.  It apparently grew something that may be transferred into an anti-biotic: however, the viewer wasn't told what she had handled prior to palming the dish: had she washed her hands recently and if so, what with and what else had she touched, i.e. door handles, taxi seat, underground ticket machine ......... wonder if that will be followed up?

As for patients demanding ABs, it is up to the medical profession to tell them 'no'.  After all, menopausal women are fobbed off all the while  ::)

Droopeydrawers

Re: Antibiotics - on borrowed time. Angela Rippon last night
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 09:52:45 AM »

You know though clkd I think this story of patients demanding antibiotics is a huge cop out by Gps.We are on the whole reasonable people who go to our gps for help and advice, I've never in my lifetime "demanded" antibiotics and I don't know anyone else who has.we rely on our gps expertise and let's be honest most of us don't want the ruddy things if we can avoid them because the side effects can be horrendous.
I have a long list of antibiotics I can't have due to serious side effects and when I had hpylori we struggled to find options for the triple therapy treatment I needed because of the previous history.I was the exact opposite and tried everything to avoid using them and same with Utis the doctors just prescribe antibiotics willy nilly without doing proper lab tests to decide on the appropriate type required "if" it is indeed infection which we all know here is not always the case.Id say 50% of the blame lies with lazy Gps overprescribing.we had another programme with a young doctor who went into gps surgerys to work with them and monitor their prescribing of antibiotics and that was really good sorry I can't remember the name maybe someone else can l.its very watchable.there is a machine that surgeries can buy that gives an instant reading of blood tests that then helps the gp decude wether an antibiotic would be appropriate but the excuse is it would take too long to train gps to use so not financially viable.load of rubbish.DD😘

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Antibiotics - on borrowed time. Angela Rippon last night
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 11:05:44 AM »

Morning!  I remember that programme but didn't get time to watch .......

It may be that SHOs in Casualty Depts are more likely to prescribe ABs - younger, not AB resistance aware - mine wouln'dt prescribe anything to me on demand but we would have The Conversation to justify the whys and where4s.

I haven't read the critic in the Telegraph about the programme yet ........ but feet up today, can't go far.