Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Adrenal Fatigue & Peri/Meno  (Read 17116 times)

BlueButterfly

Adrenal Fatigue & Peri/Meno
« on: January 16, 2019, 12:56:04 PM »

Just wanted to start this so we can share what is helping those of us trying to tackle adrenal issues on top of the hormone issues, just a dedicated place to share it.

I'm still trying to figure it all out but diet is a HUGE thing for me. Over-doing it with the sweets over the holidays set my body back a bit. I've noticed more adrenaline surges and digestive issues again. My mood, while still better, has more anxiety popping up. My sleep is as bad as ever! So back to eating boring food  ;)

I know there are some of you WAY more knowledgeable than I am so please share your tips, articles, books, etc...anything that's helped you.

jaypo

Re: Adrenal Fatigue & Peri/Meno
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 01:50:46 PM »

Hi BB, I only seem to get adrenaline surges just before a hot flush,not sure what that means exactly 😳 I also got tested recently for food allergies and it's crazy what food can do to you,I've a wheat allergy and an intolerance of nuts,so I've avoided those foods for the past few days and I can honestly say I feel better within myself.

Letmein

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »

Following you here!

One thing I read that could help is 5htp and Taurine. I tried both. 5hrt seemed to help with sleep at first but then started to experience side effects and actually feeling depressed and sleepy during the day even more than before, so stopped.

Taurine though might be helping more. I was feeling much better but then ran out so didn't take it for about a month. I've just started again and had two slightly better night. Nothing to scream victory over but Taurine only seem to have overall benefits anyway.

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 04:13:35 PM »

Our GP treated my son with a one off steroid drug. It is supposed to kick start the adrenal glands to normal production. He had to take the tablets at the surgery as they are a strong medication and there can be reactions.

It was successful for a while but he relapsed. GP said a second treatment not safe so went back to diet and lifestyle changes. So far good. Still sees the doc every couple of months but is much better.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 08:14:28 PM »

I've never been tested for food allergies but I know cutting out gluten makes me feel better. Eating it doesn't make me feel bad like it used to but overall I do feel better without it...not enough that it is keeping me away from eating it though.  ;)

I think I will look into taurine...

I know I really enjoy salt right now and I need to drink so much more water than I used to but I feel so much better when I drink enough. My blood pressure bounces all over the place...never very high, just elevated but can definitely drop quite low.

I'm struggling with the waking up at 2-3am. Anyone with tips of sleeping through that time? Worst part is that it fully wakes me up and I can't sleep for a few hours. 

Focus

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 08:58:40 AM »

Hello

I've dealt with insomnia for 7 years, after developing PTSD in 2007.

I listen to a 'guided meditation sleep' on YouTube whenever I wake up in the middle of the night now. I like Jason Stephenson and Michael Sealy.

If I'm with my fiancé, I'll just listen to it with my headphones so I don't wake him up.

I only slept 4 hours a night for 7 years (sometimes down to 3 or 2 hours). It was pretty much totally better before this menopause **** started. Insomnia back with a vengeance now, but the guided meditations totally help me get back to sleep.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »

This whole thing about "adrenal fatigue" is a bit strange anyway. It was a term dreamt up in US I think where the health-care system is so different and there are so many practiotioners offering their services and countless remedies and supplements that people are persuaded that they need. Fortunately this does not happen so much here. The idea that an organ is "fatigued" is not biologically sound I would say! I mean do we talk about thyroid fatigue for those with a less than optimal functioning thyroid?  I'm not sure whether there is a spectrum of function for the adrenal gland similar to the thyroid - apart from the extremes which are recognised diseases ( like Cushing's and Addison's) - I don't know enough about it. As with everything though -  a focus on a good diet and healthy lifestyle (exercise, body weight, sleep, reduce stress) and aiming for no deficiencies in vitamins and minerals mainly through diet - should be a priority for women approaching menopause and for the rest of life - rather than a buying and taking a whole load of supplements and remedies that are on the market....one or two selected ones if necessary perhaps but diet (and food preparation) is the key to everything I would say!

Sounds like you know already what is good for your body BlueButterfly! Excess sugar and carbs affect the whole of the body's balance and blood sugar regulation has an enormous impact on how we feel. A healthy diet doesn't have to be boring but curbing the sugar (and alcohol) intake is right up there for helping the body function optimally!

My tip is - I don't deny myself the yummy goody treats but limit them to tiny pieces eg a small square of dark choc or two, or a small choccy biscuit now and again if I craveit. Also not to keep them in the house (tricky if you have young children though!) - as too much of a temptation - I was just the same over Christmas - couldn't stop myself!!!

Taking plenty of physical exercise throughout the day (if you can) may help you with sleep, and the obvious ones like reducing caffeine...

Hurdity x

BlueButterfly

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 01:05:56 PM »

Hurdity,
I actually asked my Dr about the adrenal fatigue thing. His thoughts were that the medical community doesn't know everything and it's still learning. It might turn out to be something recognized one day. I like him. I was never fobbed off as just being anxious while telling how I feel and the dozens of visits. He always took me seriously and recognized that something was going on, even if the blood tests for everything wasn't showing it.

Our thyroid can be in "Normal range" but still not functioning optimally. We can have symptoms and need treatment for thyroid issues while "normal". More and more that's being recognized. I know there are some adrenal problems that are medically recognize but these are very extreme. Our bodies don't just get there overnight either. I think there might be "optimal" function with them as well and we start to show signs that it's time to do something before we reach the extremes of medically recognized adrenal problems.

I know it's an interesting theory so that's why I wanted to bring the discussion to the alternative section, since I know that's the only place it is recognized right now.

I don't deny the treats either. It's just...not right...but yes, I'm not good with the temptation either. If it's there, I will eat.  ;D

Focus,
thank you. I need the reminder to use my guided meditation. I've used it to fall asleep initially but not after waking in the middle of the night. I wish I could do it without the earphones tho. Hubby doesn't sleep well with noise and I used to fall asleep to music. I need something for my mind to focus on so it doesn't run circles all night. Sometimes I want to be mean and just say "too bad, get used to it" but I don't. I sometimes wonder about separate rooms to sleep.

Shadyglade

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »

My doctors surgery definitely recognises and treats it.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »

Shadyglade,

Have you gotten any diet/nutrition tips from your doctors regarding adrenal fatigue? I know you mentioned your son does deal with it and using diet and lifestyle changes. I'm just curious what a doctor that actually recognizes it as a problem would recommend. I've considered going to an alternative doctor here but I just don't have the funds.  :( So I just read everything I can on it and do my best.
Really the reason I wanted to start this...it seems there are quite a few of us that might be dealing with this and there is so much information to take in out there, it can be hard to keep it all straight.

Shadyglade

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 05:19:31 PM »

Shadyglade,

Have you gotten any diet/nutrition tips from your doctors regarding adrenal fatigue? I know you mentioned your son does deal with it and using diet and lifestyle changes. I'm just curious what a doctor that actually recognizes it as a problem would recommend. I've considered going to an alternative doctor here but I just don't have the funds.  :( So I just read everything I can on it and do my best.
Really the reason I wanted to start this...it seems there are quite a few of us that might be dealing with this and there is so much information to take in out there, it can be hard to keep it all straight.

Hi BB,
From what I can remember the basic advice is. No alcohol, caffeine or sugar. Plenty of fruit and veg. Exercise but only gently until you feel better. So walking, swimming etc but no high impact or weights.

I will ask him later to see if there is anything else.

PS. He did a test at the surgery, to see what his cortisol levels were. Has your GP done this?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:21:34 PM by Shadyglade »

BlueButterfly

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 05:30:20 PM »

That was a really interesting read, thank you.

it's funny, what they list as side effects from the progesterone were things I had BEFORE starting the progesterone (but I also know that estrogen can cause similar things as well).
Seems the biggest take away is the excess/high progesterone issues. And yes, I think that's a mess. Probably best to KNOW or have a pretty good idea that you are lacking in progesterone before trying it as well. Something that is good for me to be aware of...being on progesterone cream at the moment. I do not expect to use it for years and years...but definitely something my body needs right now. I also use a very low dose...at most 20mg. More than that my body doesn't like it. I also apply on the places they mentioned...the lower abdomen and such...which works really well for me. After losing all that weight, I don't have near as much fat as I used to. Much more weight loss and I'll be looking a bit too skinny again! (normal for me back in the day).

I'm really glad to have been trying to fix adrenal issues before starting the progesterone cream. The timing was probably quite wonderful. Still working on it and I'm hoping that I can eventually not use the progesterone cream or any other form of hormones and still feel okay. I know this will take a lot of lifestyle and diet changes and TIME. Right now I'm grateful for the progesterone cream because it is keeping me sane. The endometriosis and reversal of some growths is enough to tell me that I need the progesterone at this point in my life. It's the most wonderful thing in the world to not be curled up on the couch during ovulation (couple days before, couple days after-almost a whole week!) with intense pain that hurt worse from the simple vibrations of my feet hitting the ground while walking. We aren't talking ovary pain...full on lower abdomen, everywhere cramping and digestive issues (imagine like your worst constipation pain but not constipated, multiply it and realize that even prescription pain meds barely touched it)....then eventually a couple days of a break only to be followed by the cramps/pain/bleeding and clots of my horrific periods. Feel like I have a life back that I never got to experience without the pill.

I think it's definitely how it said....it needs to be used conservatively and I think only while trying to fix any other issues going on so it's more temporary.

Some good info to keep in mind while I continue to figure out my body.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 05:45:54 PM »

Shadyglade,

Hi BB,
From what I can remember the basic advice is. No alcohol, caffeine or sugar. Plenty of fruit and veg. Exercise but only gently until you feel better. So walking, swimming etc but no high impact or weights.

I will ask him later to see if there is anything else.

PS. He did a test at the surgery, to see what his cortisol levels were. Has your GP done this?

I actually have had some tests....everything was fine. It was a 24 hour total cortisol test. I'm not sure how well that gives the best overall picture. It did show my body was in the 'normal' range though for how much I should be producing over a 24 hour period. The doctor who tested, while wonderful, is not very knowledgeable in this area and did what he could but thought it might be good to seek someone out who understands adrenal fatigue more...which, unfortunately here, is just naturopathic doctors and functional medicine....things I just can't afford right now. I figure since most is diet/lifestyle changes that aren't TOO extreme or anything, it wouldn't really hurt to give it a shot.
 I find, for me, the problem follows the hard-to-get-up, afternoon crash, wide awake at night and middle of the night waking pattern. My body is struggling to follow a normal wake/sleep pattern. Blood sugar balance is getting much better and I am responding to stress so much better than I used to! Doesn't feel like my body is going to lose it when stress happens...even minor stress. I'm finding I want to exercise more....I am more active and it doesn't crash me for days anymore. Took a couple steps back because of the bad diet over the holidays but it was a minor fall back compared to how far I've come.

As a random question....anyone notice anything with body temperature? I used to ALWAYS have a slightly elevated temperature...I get a warm face constantly (warmed flushed face)...but I've noticed as I've been feeling better that I am COLD. My normal body temperature has gone down most days.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 06:19:36 PM »

I definitely don't sweat... actually I've noticed I sweat much less than I used to years ago. But I get the warm, flushed face quite frequently these days, even when I'm freezing.  ???

So no weights Shady?
I was going to start some light weight lifting. Feel like I lost a lot of muscle in my rapid weight loss too and notice it most in my back/shoulders/core. Need to do something to help with the back issues.

Shadyglade

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 07:53:27 PM »

My son said the advice also included good sleep habits and to avoid stress.  I know both of these are not always easy but basically you need to be gentle with yourself.

He also said the doctor felt the glands under his jaw bone, which were enlarged.  The test he had was a saliva test. 

Might be better to swim than do weights.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4