Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Swollen stomach 13 weeks post op  (Read 1777 times)

Katymac

Swollen stomach 13 weeks post op
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:25:16 PM »

Should my tummy have gone down by now?

I had my op on 12th Oct (both ovaries and remaining fallopian tube removed)

& I looked at my tummy in the mirror and thought that looks bigger than when I had the op, maybe 5/6 months pregnant

I am seeing the GP on Thursday and wavering between "well you've had an op, what do you expect" and "dear god that looks enormous"

I am worrying unneccessarily aren't I?

Tc

Re: Swollen stomach 13 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 11:15:21 PM »

Hiya katymac
Our journeys are so similar. I had ovaries and tubes out at end of August due to cyst.discovered after going to gp with bowel issues.
I must say my tummy is still somewhat swollen  and felt solid as though there was a brick in there right from pubic bone up to ribs. And the skin felt kind of numb as wel so much so that I had no pain at all from the incisions. All the pain was inside.

It's only been .Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed the brick feeling lessen and the numbness has started to lift.
Still swollen tho.
I'm a few weeks ahead of you post op.  maybe it just take a little longer for the body to recover than we sometimes think. Plus we have been dumped headfirst into the joys of menopause I have been blaming all my symptoms on meno and the other day a nurse said to me. "You've had major surgery, your body could take 6 months or longer to fully 'recover.

I hope your doc can help put your mind at rest..

Katymac

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:19:43 PM »

Aw thanks TC

& bloody meno increases anxiety doesn't it!

Tc

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 11:36:25 PM »

Certainly does. Every doc I have seen since op has used the words "crash and "shock in relation to surgical meno.
So we have been through a huge thing for our bodies.
I have been guilty of being very impatient and extremely angry with myself and anxious at what I have seen as a lack of progress.  but when that nurse said   your body is still adjusting, be kind to yourself it will improve I kind of felt some of the tension leave my body.

Katymac

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 01:01:18 PM »

I guess I am impatient too

But I was expecting keyhole & back to work in 6 weeks so this was a pretty big shock tbh

Tc

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 03:50:06 PM »

Me too. I don't think our impatience is unreasonable given what the lack of info before surgery..its all about the surgery itself 
I had to stay in hospital on anti biotic drip cos they perforated my uterus with a surgical tool and that seemed to be their main concern.
Then at follow up it's "your wounds are healing Well. And "are you opening your bowels? O.k then off you pop. Goodbye.
At 3 months I complained of pain so doc has ordered an ultrasound. Which I'm waiting for
I guess if I hadn't mentioned it they wouldn't have done it as routine, even tho they had caused a complication
Hope you are feeling o.k today..

Katymac

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 04:28:11 PM »

yes and they had to remove lots of adhesions and scar tissue round my ovary and bowel - so I'm guessing that is "cutting" or it's not surprising I'm feeling rough

I could just sit and cry somedays

You poor thing, the one thing you hope is that they don't do more damage

Tc

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 04:38:33 PM »

DO you have any pelvic pain as well as the swelling?

Katymac

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 05:09:17 PM »

I have ibs, fibromyalgia, CFS,  a TVT, partial prolapse and unstable hips leading to low back pain

I always have pain - I have as much pain as I had pre-op but it's different pain

I have a band of skin that is numb above my scar but if you press on it I have pain, I have a stretchmark that is unbelievably painful and I have internal pain that I can't explain

But when I went last about 4 weeks ago I was told I'd had major surgery and it would take time to recover - so I know don't know how to judge it
I said then it had got better then got worse and I guess now it's worse than then but it isn't unbearable but I can't lean against the breakfast bar and I have had to change the shape of knickers I can comfortably wear

I am seeing the GP tomorrow but I never know how much fuss to make: is it fuss? Or is it legitimate?

Tc

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 07:43:24 PM »

I said I still had pain inside when I went in December. My op was August. They are going to do a scan. But did say the same as yours. It's  big op.
I would say to mention it at your appt. Personally I would stress its new or different paint since the op when you tell them.
Let me know how you get on x

Katymac

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 08:16:45 PM »

Thanks TC - I hope your scan is soon

Katymac

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 09:29:59 AM »

Have evorel sequi patches

I can't have vagifem anymore

The pain is probably bloating and will go

Not sure I'm happy tbh