Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 6478 times)

racjen

Re: Alcohol
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 07:13:02 PM »

Cortisol was my biggest problem for a few years  :'( any time from 3.30 a.m..

How do you know CLKD? Did you have your cortisol level tested? I'm a bit confused, because I had a 9am cortisol test not that long ago and it was normal, and yet my morning anxiety level continues to be sky high....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 09:23:32 PM »

Cortisol is like other hormones, variable.  It peaks in the early hours. Hence the sudden anxiety.  9 a.m. is probably far too late!

I would never consider having it measured.  It's the waking up hormone and affected me although I wasn't aware at the time.  Woke full of dread, forbidding and fear day after day after day ........ I still don't know how I got through those years.

racjen

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 10:17:34 PM »

Yep, mine is exactly the same, morning after morning after morning, but an 'expert' recommended getting the level tested- not sure why as nothing's ever been said about the result. Mind you, nothing's ever been said about the fact that my SHBG level is abnormally high either, which must be distorting my hormone levels. Don't know why they bother to test these things....

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 12:54:26 PM »

It was bothersome and frightening for several years, eased by appropriate anti-depressants and medication to ease anxiety.  I dreaded going to sleep due to the nightmares and dreaded wakiing  :'(.  With an addictive and impulsive personality it wasn't wise for me to reach for alcohol, that could have made issues much worse.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:08:43 PM by CLKD »

Shadyglade

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 06:03:20 PM »

I can take it or leave it. I like a G&T, the odd cocktail or glass of wine but if there was suddenly no more alcohol it would fine.

Now chocolate 🍫 is a different matter.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 08:10:45 PM »

Yep.  I would miss chocolate, buttons in particular.  I would never think to go down the alcohol lane - unless I'm buying a gift for DH  ;)

funnell

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 01:08:44 AM »

im a regular drinker ,at least 2 sometimes 3 beers,or ginger wine at night before bed. i know i should try to have 1 only but ive had so much ongoing trauma which
dosent seem to end +im nearly 60 +stll not properly
in the menopause.my life is actually hell+i look forward
to my drinks at night,NOT every night!perhaps 3 times a week.often i feel ill after having too much+say il have
less next time!but i dont.i need to block out my anxieties,
problems,depression sometimes+its no good any1 saying
dont do it.you havent had the life ive had .i will continue
im so depressed right now but sober as i write this.what worries me is my terminally ill partner has several
boxes  strong painkillers in cupboard+i sometimes on waking
think how easy it would be to take some with the booze
+get out of this evil world..i always stop these thoughts by thinking of my estranged son. i wouldnt want him to
think it was his fault,but im so unhappy.cant take hrt
as had a breast lump removed age 50 +dont want antidepressants,i know its ok to drink when on them,but it would seem to knock out any advantages.

Jeepers

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 09:01:09 AM »

Hi Funnel

I was really concerned and aadk to read your post. How are you feeling this morning?

You can always talk to the lovely people on here, when things get overwhelming. I think aot of us know how that feels.

Take care

Jeepers x

jaypo

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »

Oh funnell,so sad reading your post,you are definitely not alone you know,quite a few of us on here haven't had the greatest of lives and it manifests itself in different ways.
I'm really Sorry hear your partner is so ill.
Like you said,no point telling you to stop drinking as it's your haven.cant you talk to ANYONE?
all I can say is I'm thinking about you

AgathaC

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »

Funnell - hello - like you, I worry about HRT and breast pr

AgathaC

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »

Sorry - sent too soon!

Funnell - hello - like you I worry about HRT and breast problems and I don't take it - but there is a lady on here (CLKD) who always says quality of life now outweighs potential future problems. In your case, since you are having such an awful time, this might well be appropriate. It must be terrible coping with a terminally ill partner (read tc's experiences) and coupled with the menopause, I'm not surprised you feel totally shit. You must go and see your GP. Tell him/her about what you wrote, if you can. Someone needs to know how bad you feel. You can message us on here any time but you need some proper help and I suspect some medication. Lots of love to you xxx

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 01:15:15 PM »

Funnell - I agree with AgathaC - I found when a friend ended his Life 2 years ago that MIND Charity were really helpful.  I found out when and where the walk-in centres were and surprisingly, the lady running our local Branch kept in contact via e-mail for several months.  I didn't need to visit but the support was helpful.

I have taken appropriate anti-depressant medication since 1988.  Accepting that I need daily treatment for Life was difficult but once I realised that DH and I have a Life together, it did become easier.  Anti-anxiety medication is essential for me.

What support are you getting with regards your partner's illness?  I believe that there is a 1-off payment available via Macmillan for people who may require it, perhaps contact them to see what support they give?  Talking can help as it clears the brain.  Add menopause upheaval to that mix and one can feel bogged down.  You have enough insight to realise that it wouldn't help your partner right now for you not to be here as well as your estranged son feeling at fault.  That situation won't help your mental health either.

As for HRT and breast problems. What problems exactly?  I had breast disease and have localised HRT for vaginal atrophy, I couldn't have lived with the razor blades  :o up there.  Also, that bus might catch me tomorrow so the breast disease wouldn't happen.  As well as finding out that many ladies are having un-necessary treatments when a lump is found, rather than a watch and wait. 

Ladybt28

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2019, 01:42:54 PM »

How are you this morning Funnell? - you are amongst friends here - and sometimes it is easier to "talk" here on the forum when you can't see peoples faces. Well I found it so anyway, I have said things here I have never ever said out loud.  There are plenty of us who know how you feel and there is always someone who can talk to you - often into the night because we cant sleep cos of our menopause symptoms  ::)

I agree with AgathaC you do need some support from your gp but it's tough trying to deal with them when you can barely move or even talk with the weight of the world on your shoulders crushing you.  I know you don't want anti-depressants but your need to get some clear thinking and that might be the only way - there is no shame or guilt attached to asking for help you know...often it shows just how strong you are deep down even though it might not look like it on the outside.  Reach out to all the people who can help you, lie Mcmillan and your doctor and everyone here. You already have loads to deal with all of which are terribly stressful without putting the menopause into the equation.  A lot of us here have been out of our heads without any of those things in our lives, athough lots of us have had situations like that too so we know how you feel. :bighug:
Just remember you are not alone here.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2019, 01:52:05 PM »

There should be a support Nurse in relation to your partner's condition too.  That will depend on which Health Authority the treatment is supervised by.  Does the Hospital have a 'friends' type group, I found PALS at King's Lynn really helpful.

JaneinPen

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 03:14:31 PM »

So sorry that you are feeling so low Funell. You are never judged on here but always someone comes along with good advice so write away. You really should try and get some help. CLKD's advice is a good start. We are all thinking of you. Keep on posting
Pages: 1 [2] 3