Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Femseven conti discontinued  (Read 28931 times)

Conolly

Re: Femseven conti discontinued
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 07:27:26 PM »

Hello ladies,

After more investigation, I think levonorgestrel containing patches are being discontinued worldwide, apparently because of sticking and size issues.

If you really want to stay on levonorgestrel you only have the oral option, which is obviously not a good one, or the Mirena coil along with an estradiol patch (many options)l. If you want to stay on the patches and don't fancy the coil, you have 2 choices: change to Evorel Conti (norethisterone) or an estradiol only patch (many options) and Utrogestan.

It's utterly frustrating, but the show must go on. Hope you can find a suitable substitute soon.

Conolly X
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:40:37 PM by Conolly »

Dancing Queen

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 10:21:59 PM »

The annoying thing is after the first couple when I was getting the hang of them my Femseven patches have stuck just fine and even survive the odd bath!

roseandthorn

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 04:58:27 PM »

I rarely had any trouble with them sticking. I don't understand what's going on. 😔

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »

Just to add - re choices following stopping Femseven combi HRT -  that there is no oral levonorgestrel containing preparation licensed for HRT although it is contained in various contraceptive pills but would be prescribed off licence.

Also there is another alternative oral protgestogen licesned for HRT - called Provera - which can be used with oestrogen only patches or pills.

Conolly - please can you post the link to (and maybe quote?)  the info where you have discovered that Femseven patches are being permanently discontinued? This would be helpful.

Hurdity x

Dancing Queen

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 11:11:22 AM »

It`s like a merry go round designed to do our heads in! So when I go to get an alternative for my femseven sequi patches I`m planning to ask for evorel sequi and if for any reason these aren`t available (who knows?!?!) will ask for an estradiol patch and utrogestan which I`m assuming is a pill? As I don`t want a mirena. And the Dr won`t have a clue.  :)

Conolly

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »

Hello Dancing Queen,

As I said before, there is a MRHA parallel import licence granted for Femseven Sequi https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/756072/Monthly_PLPI_listing_Oct_2018.pdf so maybe they will be available in the near future. There's no mention of Femseven Conti though. Femseven (estradiol only) is still listed in Theramex products page.

Hurdity,

There's no such thing as ‘permanently' regarding drug market, unless really serious side effects are involved or there's a better substitute.
Here's the reference: https://www.degruyter.com/downloadpdf/j/hmbci.ahead-of-print/hmbci-2018-0033/hmbci-2018-0033.pdf
I'm sorry I forgot to post it on this thread, I thought it is such a good review that I have created a new thread. https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42310.msg666935.html#msg666935

Anyway, it's very likely that all ladies on Femseven will have to find another option soon because HRT can't wait, right?

Also, all estradiol patches containing levonorgestrel have been discontinued worldwide including Climara Pro (Bayer) in the US, so there's a pattern pointing towards discontinuation.

Conolly X

PS. I'm typing on iPhone, gosh it's hard to do it these days, osteoarthritis   :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:27:50 PM by Conolly »

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 06:25:27 PM »

Hi there Conolly - I'm still not clear what you are saying and was looking for evidence that there is no longer to be a combi patch containing estradiol and levonorgestrel to replace the old Femseven (sequi and conti) in the forseeable future.

The review you linked to says nothing about this at all - it's a review of different progestogens not about the availability of these patches or their likely discontinuation.  ???

I quoted another poster earlier in this thread who had had a response from Teva to say when it was likely that these patches would be available, because they were to be reformulated (re the adhesive) - so unless someone has heard to the contrary from Theramex this may still be on the cards?

Yes of course in the meantime women who run out will need to find an alternative but it would be better news and perhaps more tolerable if it was known that a favourite HRT was being reissued before too long!

Hurdity x

Conolly

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 06:45:21 PM »

Hello Hurdity,

Quoting...

"When using TE as gels or as the novel spray, any progestogen must be added separately as an oral preparation. This is also true for E2-patches with two exceptions: transdermal norethisterone acetate (NETA) and transdermal levonorgestrel (LNG) are available as fixed combinations in so-called “combi-patches”. However, because adhesion problems and skin irritation are common with these large patches, and also because of bleeding problems, those “combi-patches” are not often used in clinical practice."

If they are not often used in clinical practice, it means they are not profitable anymore, therefore not likely to be produced. I've also had an email from Theramex stating that they have a 'supply issue' and cannot guarantee when the product will be available again. As I said before, unfortunately HRT can't wait.

By 'supply issue' I understand that they're having problems with levonorgestrel in the form suitable for patches, and these are supplied by the same manufacturers worldwide, where similar patches have already been discontinued.

If and when they can restore product supply is unpredictable, so the ladies have no other option right now but to change for another type of HRT.

Conolly X

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »

Thanks for the quote - however I think these patches are actually used quite a lot in UK in clinical practice - so not sure what the review is referring to or where the data are about this? I think they are (or have been at least until very recently if the number of prescriptions has fallen) the "go to" products for transdermal HRT from GPs here, (maybe not in contiental Europe?) precisely because they are combi patches - although private gynaes and menopause clinics may now seem to favour separate oestrogen and progesterone. It would be interesting to have some info although a bit of an aside....

However I realise that it is worldwide use that is critical since pharmaceutical products are produced and distributed globally so if they are not used much worldwide then this could have an impact on future production.

Yes women using HRT will need to find another option....

Hurdity x

Conolly

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 09:15:48 PM »

Hello ladies,

Femseven, Femseven Sequi and Femseven Conti also marketed in other countries as Fem7, FemSept, FemSept Combi, Feminova Combi amongst other brand names are registered trademarks held by Merck KGaA Healthcare. https://www.merckgroup.com/content/dam/web/corporate/non-images/investors/events-and-presentations/annual-general-meeting-archive/2018/us/AGM2018-Operational-hive-down-agreement-exhibits-EN.pdf
Note that Femseven Conti and Sequi are no longer listed.

Femseven in the UK was manufactured by Teva, Netherlands or LTS Lohmann Therapie Systeme, German or Laboratoire Theraméx, Monaco. (drug information leaflet)

LTS no longer lists Femseven as a product.
https://ltslohmann.de/en/patients/transdermal-therapeutic-system/

Theramex was created in 1970, bought by Merck Group in 1999 and sold to Teva (Israel) in 2011. Teva was sold to CVC Capital Partners in 2018 and became Theramex again! http://www.theramex.com/about-us/

Theramex doesn't list Femseven Conti and Sequi as products anymore, only Femseven.
http://www.theramex.com/products/

If this was just a brief problem of 'supply issue' as Theramex have stated, why would they not list Femseven Conti and Sequi anymore? If LTE and Teva (sold to Theramex) are not manufacturing the product, who is? Laboratoire Theraméx is Theramex, so which 'supply issue' are they referring to if they are the manufacturers? 

So don't hold your breath, find another suitable regimen asap.

Conolly X

Conolly

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 06:23:08 PM »

Conolly

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »

Hello Rockhooper,

Apparently, but it seems Femseven sequi is out of stock as well, maybe this needs an update. I don't envy you ladies who feel well on this regimen. Very frustrating!

I wrote to Theramex asking for a more definitive answer but no reply yet.

Conolly X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 02:51:41 PM »

How much influence is Brexit having on the Pharmaceutical Industry?  Companies simply shouldn't be running out of any active ingredient, it doesn't add up - unless of course countries aren't paying on time for products or there is a drop in prescriptions, then they won't produce them.  No thought of those relying on feeling better!

Conolly

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 04:41:29 PM »

Rockhooper,

This one is more recent and even more confusing... it says all Femseven products are discontinued (RIP!?), and then they list Femseven Sequi as a substitute for Conti. https://www.knowledgeanglia.nhs.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=FSg5a44lyCM%3D&tabid=1634&portalid=1&mid=1891

AAH Pharma still lists them in the last Parallel Imports price list.
http://www.w8dm.co.uk/KEP/AAH/AAH_PDFViewer/web/viewer.html?file=http://www.w8dm.co.uk/KEP/AAH/FILES/PDF/201812/PARALLEL_IMPORTS_DEC18.pdf

CLKD,

The former distributor, Teva, has sold Women's Health products to Theramex (owned by CVC capital partners) which is still settling so maybe this is temporary. This operation is part of Teva's divestiture after antitrust concerns have been raised.

I have noticed that despite Theramex headquarters are in London, they haven't started their UK website, but the 'page has been reserved for future use', so there's still hope.

On the other hand... it seems that Brexit may have something to do with it https://www.hdauk.com/hda-news/hda-opinion-brexit

Conolly X
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:07:55 PM by Conolly »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »

:thankyou:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10