Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anorexia 4 Jaypoo  (Read 7229 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Anorexia 4 Jaypoo
« on: December 15, 2018, 02:20:37 PM »

Husband's neice.

Is a difficult subject for sufferers, family, friends, medical professionals.  4 me it was a phobia about vomiting but not many are asked what the trigger was.  I was anorexic B4 it was fashionable [1950s].  B4 the media tried to insist on our young people looking in a certain way and not how we are born to look  >:(

4 me it was avoidance of food.  At less than a day old I was intubated - unknown hands, a tube being pushed where I didn't want it, more unknowns ...... mayB that's where it began  :-\.  I didn't gain weight so milk was pumped in and drawn out to see how much I was absorbing  :-\ :-\.   I don't remember but logically, my subconscious will.  By age 3 I wasn't eating properly: apparently we moved house between 3 and 4: by age 5 I had been diagnosed as anorexic but Mum was told that I 'would grow out of it'.  As I got older it became worse.  By 11 I was eating enough to stand upright and kept that habit until the late 1990s.  I felt sick continually.  Probably because my body was hungry. 

So advice would be: don't push food [opposite of what the professionals seem to do]. Giving fluids by vein is difficult as they drop if the body isn't nourished.  Try to get to the bottom of what she is feeling.  Why if she knows, no one ever asked me.  So I continued with food avoidance.  Give her the option to pick her foods on the basis of what she fancies she may eat.  I remember holding a mug of hot Bovril and thinking "I must eat this or they will be cross" ...... but unable to take one sip.  It was a BATTLE! 

It could be many issues.  Parental pressure.  Siblings?  Bullying in school.  Not getting the exam results she expected.  Some put pressure on themselves, rarely can that issue be improved as they are their own worst enemies.  No amount of trying to explain that 'it' doesn't matter won't make much difference as to the sufferer, 'it' does matter.  Anorexia can be fatal as it's self fulfilling.  Does she want to die? 

The girl next door has been suffering for 2 years, self harming - can never get my head round that one! though kicking doors in frustration did it for me  :-\.  She doesn't know quite what triggered it and was ages telling her parents.  Exams., being quieter than school friends.  Does there have to be a reason? 

DH cooked every day for me, only to see it going in the dog  :'(.  She didn't mind and he tried so hard not to tell me to eat .  My Dad would try to encourage me - I remember being in a posh restaurant aged about 10 and I was offered grapefruit: I expected a half served in a dish with sugar, it came as a drink and I simply couldn't face it.  Disappointment, I can feel it still.

Propranolol eased those feelings in my gut - took away the nausea which enabled me to start eating.  Now I even salivate when faced with food but still have 'safe' foods at this time of year.  Nothing greasy. 

What area of her Life is she trying to control?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 07:07:42 PM by CLKD »

jaypo

Re: Anorexia 4 Jaypoo
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »

You're a star clkd,you really are,thank you for taking the time to write that for me.
She is an only child and because her mum has serious health problems,her parents decided to put her to boarding school,which she hated.
Her parents are wonderful,her mum had a routine operation for something and by accident the surgeon snipped through the nerves going to her stomach,which now means she cannot eat very much (she I'd definitely not anorexic though) she's been all over the world looking for a cure,all the while her daughter was in school.
It's heartbreaking,she's only allowed now to see her parents twice a week as the hospital thinks they could be the trigger,we haven't seen her but still send cards etc but we've been told she is at a dangerous weight and that's with her IN hospital,surely she can't stay there indefinitely?
She did get home a few months back but within weeks she had lost all her weight and her parents had no option but to re admit her,she hated them for it.sometimes she doesn't want to see them,it's so sad.
Thank you again xx

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 03:08:12 PM »

That explains most of it then.  Maybe repressed anger?  I can never understand why people have children then put them away?  Rejection at the highest level.  Regardless of what the parents felt would be helpful, it means that she hasn't had the option to talk about her internal worries: about being pushed into a school, about her mother's health issues, about how her father felt about a) her mother and b) being away from his only child?  Vice Versa applies.  Did she ever ask to be taken out of that School and were these requests ignored?

I would suggest that she is given the chance to talk with the staff at the Boarding School: if they are still those that taught her.  Being a little older she may be able to talk some of her feelings out. 

MayB write a letter to her parents, individually.  Does she feel that one or other was complacent in putting her away?  Don't send the letter but it gets it out of her head and onto paper.  Vent, vent, vent - saved my Life but had anyone read it  :o  :-X

She can be kept in Hospital as long as is necessary.  Would she have the opportunity of speaking with the Surgeon who fouled up, to find out how her mother's eating problems are different to her own?

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 03:21:01 PM »

I suppose it is pretty self explanatory,she was taken out of the school as she hated it so much. I do agree with you about putting kids into boarding school,I can't imagine anything so horrible,there surely could've been a way round it.
Maybe she feels the same about being put into hospital,she does know she's loved but maybe doubts it?
Are you ok now? I take it it's with you for life?
At the moment I can't see her ever getting better and the real worry is,she'll take her own life,first chance possible

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 09:18:07 PM »

When one feels ill all the while: 4 me I had dreams or nightmares so there was no relief: it is easier to think that I wanted to sleep until the pain went away.  It was scary to think that I might harm myself.  When the body lacks food it does strange things to the mind.  Think of those in very cold weather, lost on Everest - the mind really does play 'tricks'.  Hallucinations.  Bad thoughts.  So ending one's Life is a real possibility, hopefully she will be guarded in Hospital.

Does she feel safe in Hospital?  My Dad did.  Couldn't get back fast enough as he didn't have any responsibilities there.  Her responsibility is to eat ........

The danger is always there.  Less so now as I eat better.  At this time of year I am really vulnerable with all that food around, people putting on me to buy presents, send cards, eat 'more', 'have 1 drink, it won't hurt you'.  I get angry rather than giving in , always using the phrase "If I were diabetic you wouldn't even consider saying those things!"

I digress.  If you keep in contact tell her that you love her.  That she ins't alone in that people are thinking of her, that people have been low and survived.  Does she reply at all?  If so ask what she wants in order to get well, is there anyone she wants to talk to about issues rather than those in the Hospital? 

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 10:07:11 AM »

Thing is,she's not allowed to see anyone or even have a mobile,not when her weight as low as it is.but I've sent her her present and card with a little note in it.
What a dreadful illness it is,you obviously have done so well, I really do admire you clkd,you've had a long hard journey xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »

I think that cutting off contact if dreadful.  Makes it seem that no one is interested in her ......... this isn't the Suffragettes they are dealing with!!  Do 'they' really think that bribery : which is an offence in the UK : will help.  That would make me more desperate, because there really would be no point in recovering whilst the rest of the World sales by, apparently un-caring  >:(

I wonder if you have been in contact with BEAT - the dedicated Charity for eating disorders, based in Norwich.

R U certian that she even gets your gifts?

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 10:48:19 AM »

She didn't get her birthday one as I didn't realise she was self harming and I sent her a necklace and apparently she will even use the clasp of that to harm herself.
She is such a beautiful girl and so clever,was well on the way to a great career.
When she's well,she talks about becoming a councillor for eating disorders or a gp which concentrates on it but then she suddenly goes right back to square 1.
The initial care she was having was costing her parents......wait for it......£5000 a month she's now in a slightly cheaper one nearer to home but yes,when she's ill there's contact only with her parents twice a week
Does seem very Victorian but you assume they know what they're doing?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 10:52:02 AM »

We shouldn't assume though which is why I suggest contacting BEAT.  My Dad went through a trial of treatment for depression in the 1960s which seemed logical but apparently later it was seen as a form of abuse ..........

Focus

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 05:44:35 PM »

Oh, what a sad thread. I'm so sorry to read this.

I wanted to reply earlier, but I've been a bit snowed under with work this weekend.

For me it's a way of managing what seem like some very full on, overwhelming feelings.

I've been in a few situations in my life (starting when I was very young, before I could even remember) where things felt very much out of my control and I felt really unsafe. So fear, for sure, and confusion where the world has never felt like a particularly safe place. It's a way of managing those seemingly unmanageable things.

Rejection is a big one for me. Again, from before I can remember probably. As an adult, I can find other people's actions both completely logical and totally true to who they are, but at the same time I can find them completely confusing emotionally for me, and also at times overwhelming. Those two things can be true at the same moment in time, they can run along parallel tracks to each other, if you like.

Also, more recently, anger. After having found a voice to express what I might need in that moment, in a very down to earth and direct way, straight to the point, when that's over ruled or ignored, that seems to trigger a wave of overwhelming anger. I think that's more recent and probably linked to the PTSD though.

Anyway, how to help in your situation? I guess knowledge is helpful. I'm one of those people that finds a huge amount of solace in finding stuff out and reading about it. If I can get the intellectual framework of things, I know I'm on my way to clearing the fog. I don't know if you're like that as well?

Also, for me a huge worry is the thought (and/or reality) of having to manage and deal with other people's reactions. That then ends us being a distraction from concentrating on myself and of being able to pull myself forwards into something more positive. I can instantly sense when there is a good boundary there, and someone is empathetic towards me/my experience, but able to 'leave the emotional space between us clear', if you like. Likewise, I can instantly sense when someone's sense of self is getting tangled with my own. And that's not a good situation for either person.

So, if you can, try to cultivate a sense of 'loving detachment', where you care and are supportive, but there are boundaries there and a good sense of space between you both.

You don't have to talk about 'issues' or 'feelings'. There quite high pressure things to talk about for me and it makes me super uncomfortable and stressed out, especially with people I am close to (although I can be super articulate with medical professionals about these things - I guess I've learned the lingo).

Maybe you could just chat about trivialities, like about what's been happening during the day, or take turns to read out loud to each other. I find those things amazingly comforting and soothing. Other saving graces for me have been to do with finding the things I'm interested in and learning to cultivate and pursue those. I don't know, would she be interested in one of those mindfulness colouring books? Or experimenting with makeup? Even if it's just something like nail polish, or nail art? I always really liked my hands and my fingers (both really small), so I found it very relaxing and satisfying to look after those and see them looking their best, even when I felt low.

Hope that helps x

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »

Thank you focus,yes it helps,it helps me to try and understand what it's like but not a sufferer myself I can only try to imagine.
The colouring book is a brilliant idea and I'm sure she would be allowed that,my daughter (28) used to use them and she said they were very calming.
Thank you for taking the time to write,you must be very strong,you and clkd are inspirational to me ❤️

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »

Tnk for your input Focus.  I can understand not having a mobile because it can increase pressure to conform, also it allows access to the outside World.

I can't begin to explain how angry I feel that this young girl is being punished.  This isn't a competition she is in, it's an eating disorder which has taken a grip.  Denying her things until she eats ........ how is that going to work exactly?  Until she reaches a certain weight ......... has anyone explained what a calorie actually is?  A unit of heat not a way to measure food in and out! One needs calories in order to burn calories in order to maintain a healthy body.

4 me I would say bugga you, if you cared you wouldn't deny me what I might require: silence, music, DH, my dog.  Because in a deep eating disorder, reality goes so she may not even realise what she requires.  I know that I needed people not to tell me that I had to eat.  Yep.  I'm old enough to know that  :argue:.  Not to look as if I am being disrespectful: "If you knew the time that it took to plan, buy and cook this meal ....... " which meant that I stopped making arrangements to visit people for meals in case I couldn't eat.  For years I carried my own food so that I could eat B4 my body required it.  That went down like a lead ballooon I can tell you but I was beyond caring. 

Eventually I got so that I would tell people "I will eat if I feel like it, I'm there to enjoy the company too".  That went OK strangely enough.

Anyone aware of how many food adverts there are in magazines  :'(.  When my vomiting phobia was at it's worst every magazine had articles about food ....... I had to stop buying them.  So I had nothing to flip through to try to make my mind off stuff.  Wish that magazines would have food supplements that I could throw without having to open them.

So back to this young lady.  We need a Plan!  The Professionals in charge of her care need to find out what she actually wants in the way of contact, talking therapies, and concentrate less on the bullying to get her to eat.  If that worked none of us would require treatment  :-\.

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »

I feel your anger clkd,it must infuriate you to know this kind of therapy still exists,I'm sure there's more to it than what I've told you but at what they charge for this care,it seems extraordinary.
She made a really good friend whilst she's been there but this friend was sent home,which she was happy about but obviously missed her,then she had to be told that this friend took her own life and you can imagine what that did to her,massive set back.
All too sad,that these beautiful people have their whole life in front of them but it's just not enough

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 08:45:30 PM »

It's not about anything other than being 'in the moment'.  We all know what is possible if we were well enough to do it.  But an eating disorder is all consuming. 

Her friend may well have become well so that she was able to leave the Unit: enabled her to do what she wanted, to end her Life.  It was her choice.  Living with intense emotional pain is tiring.  24/7. 

So not wanting to continue with the hassle of needing to eat; having people watching to make sure that 1 does eat; [DH was watching me today  ::)]; there is a logic which those not affected will never understand.

Waking: knowing that the pain and weariness hasn't gone away; that another day ahead of the same.  I got beyond even thinking it was wasted time.  By evening I had improved ......... because I knew that I didn't have to face food until the morning.  I don't suppose any of the staff have actually experienced it  :-\

jaypo

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »

I just don't know how I would cope if it was my daughter,it sounds exhausting and must be so so frustrating for loved ones,knowing what to do for the best,knowing that every mealtime there may be an issue
Pages: [1] 2 3