Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Gastritis again  (Read 3344 times)

Jeepers

Gastritis again
« on: December 20, 2018, 07:24:47 PM »

Hi All

At the beginning of this year, I had acute anxiety which led me to getting Gastritis.  I got booked in for an endoscopy, but it didn't happen until August, by which time, I had my anxiety under control, and the gastritis wasn't giving me any symptoms. 

However, the endoscopy reported 3 small pre-pyloric erosions.  I was advised to take PPI for two months.  However, after hearing all the negative stories about PPI's I didn't take them.

Anxiety has come back, and now I can feel burning in my stomach.  I am scared that I have done something terrible by not taking them.  I don;t want to google anything, but wonder if I should take them now for a while? 

Have I been stupid ny not taking them, and caused irreparable damage?

I really need to get my anxiety under control too, its taking over my life.   :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Gastritis again
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »

Nope.  Very un-likely.  Short-term use of PPIs is OK, it layers the digestive tract from mouth to anus.  However, if you don't fancy those then get some over-the-counter milk of magnesia - in milk form if it's still available or tablets.  It layers in a similar way.

For heart burn I chew several Rennies.  Anxiety makes my guts churn, it's my weak spot. Is there any particular food that upsets you?  Maybe chew a magnesia tablet half an hour B4 meals.  It really is Trial and Error  ::)

Have you discussed anxiety with your GP?  I find rescue remedy mouth spray or pastels useful.  As well as breathing correctly.  Do you sing?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 10:46:51 PM »

PPIs reduce the production of gastric acids and taken short term this will help ulcers etc to heal. If taken long term then food absorption is compromised so you can start to be deficient in certain nutrients eg calcium, so the risk of developing osteoporosis increases.
Short term use is fine but you may find you get an increase in acid reflux and heartburn for a while when you stop taking them, as the body can get a rebound reaction - however this can settle within a few weeks.
Changing your diet and using anti acids ( Gaviscon or Rennies that sooth the acid reflux) after eating can help enormously with heartburn. Avoid fatty foods, alcohol, caffiene and fruit juices. Eat small amounts regularly and eat slowly, chewing every mouthful thoroughly.
Drink enough water and try peppermint tea after eating. DG x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 12:05:26 AM »

I didn't like the thought of taking PPI's either but the danger of the ulceration in my oesophagus possibly leading to cancer was worse than the thought of taking a PPI.

I'd say take them because, as Dancinggirl says, short term they don't cause problems. Were you told that you would have to have a follow-up endoscopy to check that all was now normal?

Taz x

Jeepers

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 11:19:14 AM »

Thank you all ladies

Okay, I'll take them. I'm off to Italy for Christmas, I hope they don't make me feel ill for that.

No, the paper said no follow up. So I was assuming that what they saw was very small and mild.

I'm off for my breast screening now. Funnily enough, I'm not even anxious about that.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »

OH Italy - give the mountains a wave from me  :'(  :-*

I think that you will get relief from the product.  Also, avoiding spicy foods and eating little and often can help.  Toast?  Dry biscuits?  Ginger biscuits?  Postcard please  ;D

My screening appt. is for January - if I want to go - well actually, yep.!