Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Pharmacy block on supply of Vagifem  (Read 2302 times)

Katejo

Pharmacy block on supply of Vagifem
« on: November 23, 2018, 12:47:56 PM »

I had a very positive appointment with a urogynaecologist this morning. I will write something about it later today or tomorrow (at work now). However I wanted to mention one thing in case others have had the same problem. She was willing to prescribe me more Vagifem today because of the problems I was having in getting it from the GP. I went to the hospital pharmacy but came away empty handed. The local hospital authority doesn't allow Vagifem to be prescribed. Only Ovestin is approved. I have to take the prescription back to the GP to get any more. I asked the pharmacist in Boots about it and he said it was purely a budget problem.   :(
I am going to ring the relevant dept/clinic and ask them to let the consultant know that the prescription was refused.

Krystal

Re: Pharmacy block on supply of Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »

In my experience Vagifem can only be prescribed by a GP as it is approved by NICE and it is likely the cost is borne by the Primary Care Trust (PCT) for whom the GP has the budget.

NorthArm

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »

You poor thing! I'll bet it doesn't happen with Viagara!!!

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 09:32:42 PM »

Can you get it from an online pharmacy?

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:44:34 PM »

Yes I could but it would be expensive. Will try the GP first. It puzzled me that the hospital doctor didn't know that the pharmacy wouldn't supply it.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 07:11:51 PM »

I eventually managed to speak to the pharmacist at my practice today when i had to go for a blood pressure check. She insisted I need to speak to the GP but also claimed that 1 vagifem twice a week was enough for 90% of users and only 10% need it more frequently. I am supposed to be an exception! I didn't argue because I didn't have any actual stats to hand but said that I had come across plenty of women who needed it more frequently. She did at least book an appointment for me.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:13:44 PM by Katejo »

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:19:08 PM »

Wow, talk about scary gate keeper.

I hate it when receptionists think they're doctor,

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »

Wow, talk about scary gate keeper.

I hate it when receptionists think they're doctor,
She is a pharmacist not a receptionist but I have had annoying receptionists too.

NorthArm

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »

So, a pharmacist knowing more than a urogynaecologist....? Hmmm, maybe she's in the wrong profession lol. I hope you get it all sorted soon xx

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 10:58:17 AM »

So, a pharmacist knowing more than a urogynaecologist....? Hmmm, maybe she's in the wrong profession lol. I hope you get it all sorted soon xx
Yes annoying! she offered to take the hospital prescription from me to pass to the doctor  but the writing on it is too pale to photocopy and I didn't want to hand the original document to them. I could see it getting lost somewhere.

NorthArm

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »

Yes, I fully understand xx