Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello and what’s normal?!  (Read 1581 times)

Cubbysam

Hello and what’s normal?!
« on: December 06, 2018, 10:59:50 AM »

Hello all, what a fantastic resource this is, thanks to all for such valuable info  :)

I'm 51 and am fairly certain I'm in peri menopause but of course GP won't do blood test due to age and NICE guidelines. It's really difficult to get a GP appointment at my surgery, next is 14th Jan, and that's not my preferred GP  :(

Can I just ask does my experience sound ‘normal'? I understand everyone has a different experience but I'll ask anyway....

Dec 17 normal period
Jan -April 18 no period ( lovely)
May 18 full on flood bleeding for nearly a month, 3cm sized scary clots , stopped with pills from doc
June 18 heavy but normal period with clots ( not normal for me)
July - Sept not heavy periods but almost constant bleed, sometimes very light, no clots really, a sort of blood tinged mucus/discharge. Night sweats but just go back to sleep if I wake up.

Oct to Nov ...No bleeding for 3 days then a bleed for two, bleed for one, then nothing for a few more days, no pattern at all. This happened for the full two months. My period tracker app went into meltdown  ;D

Dec ... yuk, full on bleed with large clots.

Generally feel ok, I get anxiety anyway so nothing more than normal. Some period type pain. I've ballooned over the last 12 months, added a stone and a half, feel bloated too. Definitely feel like I want to bang some heads! Shorter fuse and fed up! No problem sleeping, more issue trying to stay awake. Almost constant nausea too. What a delightful picture this all makes  ;D

Now I've written it out I think I've answered my own question! Sound right to the more ‘experienced ‘?

Earlier this year ultrasound showed think lining and small fibroids.

Thanks x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello and what’s normal?!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »

Sorry that you haven't had a response yet  :-\ - can't all be mobile problems, surely!

Sounds 'within normal limits' from where I'm sitting.  "The Change" - does what it says on the tin  ::)

What was suggested after your ultra-sound ?   Is that 'thin' or 'thick' lining?

Browse round. Make notes ;-)

Cubbysam

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »

Thank you both. Reassuring to hear it all sounds about right. I'll do a bit of further reading too.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:22:55 PM »

I took ferrous sulphate when I was really heavy,think you've to ask for it at chemist,not usually on the shelf,it's more effective than just iron tablets

crazycatlady

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »

Sorry to hear about the clots. I can understand that they are worrying. I can't remember whether I had any, sorry, so no use on that front. But if you're looking for iron supplement, I strongly recommend Spatone liquid iron sachets. It's simply natural iron-rich water from north Wales. Compared to iron tablets, they're very weak, but on the other hand, the body can absorb the iron in the water more easily so it's more efficient. And the water doesn't come with the side effects of the tablets (constipation etc) so are both efficient and gentle.
They definitely work for me. When I was pregnant my doctor insisted I took iron pills as I was iron deficient (and vegetarian). He insisted I took a prescription though I told him I'd improve my diet and take sachets he was certain it wouldn't be enough. Next visit/test he told me triumphantly that iron count was brilliantly high and that he'd been right to give me prescription. I handed the prescription back to him, as I hadn't had it dispensed. Just better diet & Spatone. He was speechless.
Also I went once to give blood but was turned away because of low iron. Took Spatone for a week, went back, and iron count was very high & I could give blood.
Wishing you well in getting good advice on the other matters that are troubling you.

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »

Brilliant story re the dr CCL 😄 it seems sometimes we DO know better

crazycatlady

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »

Well, jaypo, to be fair to the GP, I suppose I understand that he felt he had a responsibility to give me his "tried & tested" "failsafe" prescription to be on the safe side. What surprised me when I returned though was his reaction in realising that I'd managed (and managed very well at that) to get the same result without prescribed medication. He didn't look particularly happy about it - as if I'd broken the rules or pissed on his bonfire for finding a low-cost, simple solution to his highly engineered solution. Whereas I'd thought he'd be happy for me! Never mind, though, I was happy for me :) And my baby too :)

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »

Well, jaypo, to be fair to the GP, I suppose I understand that he felt he had a responsibility to give me his "tried & tested" "failsafe" prescription to be on the safe side. What surprised me when I returned though was his reaction in realising that I'd managed (and managed very well at that) to get the same result without prescribed medication. He didn't look particularly happy about it - as if I'd broken the rules or pissed on his bonfire for finding a low-cost, simple solution to his highly engineered solution. Whereas I'd thought he'd be happy for me! Never mind, though, I was happy for me :) And my baby too :)

😄👍

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 06:23:50 PM »

Hi Cubbysam

:welcomemm: from me too.

Yes it all does sound normal. If the bleeds are bothering you and you have fibroids then a Mirena coil might help as it keeps the lining thin and can restrict the growth of fibroids. Then later once your oestorgen levels drop and perhaps you get other menopausal symptoms eg flushes and sweats or low mood joint aches or palpitations - you could add in oestrogen if you were able to and wanted to - quite easily.

Yes I wondered as CLKD about your "think" lining!! It is is thick then that would explain the clots and a Mirena would help. If thin then presumably the extra bleeding was due to the fibroids as well as the skipped cycles typical of peri-menopause (anvoulatory cycles) when the womb lining can carry on growing.

Here is an article about peri-menopause which explains what's going on with your body:  https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Re the iron - I've heard good reports from others too about Spatine. I swear by Floradix liquid tonic which is also natural and easily tolerated and absorbed. Was brilliant in my pregnancies. I still take it every now and again - not to often as my iron levels were very high when measured recently - don't want to OD it!

Come back and ask if you need any more help!

Hurdity x