Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Shingles  (Read 2212 times)

Two hoots

Shingles
« on: November 28, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »

I've had three patches of a red rash on my arm for a few days so I decided it's best to seek medical advice, the nurse took one look and confirmed what I suspected it was, shingles.

I've been prescribed some cream to put on 5 times a day but because I've had the rash for more than 3 days tablets wouldn't benefit me.

The rash isn't at all itchy but it ****les just like ****ly heat, otherwise I don't really have any symptoms so I think it must be a mild case.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Shingles
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 01:54:51 PM »

Usually caused by stress, bereavement, shock - both Mums had it after they had a heavy fall. 

The tablets have to be taken within 72 hours of the rash appearing to be effective. 

Feet up, cuppa and afternoon TV then  ???

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »

Hello Two hoots.

I thought shingles resulted from the re emergence of the Chicken Pox virus. I read somewhere that Chicken Pox is as old as humanity which is why we generally don't become ill with it and just develop blisters for a time. The virus then lays dormant  but can occasionally appear again in adulthood, often following along nerves in our bodies. I could be wrong of course so  may be worth a Google. BTW a friend had this but the nerves were very irritated so he was given painkillers for a while.

Take care.

K.

Conolly

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 08:00:31 PM »

Hello ladies,

You're absolutely right Kathleen. What CLKD said are the usual triggers that causes the virus to start its reproductive cycle again, probably due to an impaired immune system.

Too hoots, I hope you have a mild case. The neuropathic pain that the virus trigger is one of the worst pains ever. Some people will have it for the rest of their lives.

Conolly X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 08:26:20 PM »

Oh I was ill with chickenpox.  I have two scars from scratching, I remember that the Colomine lotion made the itching worse  :'(

One should keep away from those that haven't had chickenpox whilst the rash is present.  It does follow nerve roots and can aggravate for ages, or symptoms go completely.

Two hoots

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:55 PM »

I had chickenpox as a child, I still have a faint mark where I picked a spot  ???

The rash is at the top of my arm and nowhere else, apart from that and a slight headache I'm ok, so it's a very mild case.

Luckily  :-\ everyone in my family has had chickenpox so I won't be infecting them.

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »

Shingles can be a problem if it is on the face, especially near the eyes. If it's on your arm I wouldn't worry.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »

I had chickenpox as a child, I still have a faint mark where I picked a spot  ???

The rash is at the top of my arm and nowhere else, apart from that and a slight headache I'm ok, so it's a very mild case.

Luckily  :-\ everyone in my family has had chickenpox so I won't be infecting them.
I had chicken pox as a child in 1969 and then got it again very mildly just after being exposed to children with it in 1985. I haven't had shingles (yet).

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »

My appendix scar bi-passes the chicken pox scar .........  ::)

How do U feel today?

Two hoots

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »

I'm ok, got a ****ly/tingly/burning sensation in the rash. Perhaps the ladies who can't sleep shouldn't read on but, I slept from 11.00 pm last night until 11.50 this morning, and only woke when the postman opened the letterbox  ::) I might still be asleep if we hadn't had mail  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 03:23:10 PM »

That's lovely.