Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Worsening allergies and asthma  (Read 3229 times)

Happytobe

Worsening allergies and asthma
« on: November 19, 2018, 09:57:01 PM »

Has anyone experienced their asthma getting worse since menopause?  Also I have a strange tingly feeling on my face and eyes. My nose has been stuffed up at night for years but this is happening a lot in the day now too. Inside of ears mouth and nose fell itchy and tingly too. Could this be menopause related. I'm 57 and haven't had a period for over a year and am getting lots of hot flushes.

Dancinggirl

Re: Worsening allergies and asthma
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 10:55:27 PM »

Yep, menopause can make allergies worse. The mucus membranes dry up so they become more sensitive to allergens. DG x

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 10:57:39 PM »

Yes I developed asthma at the beginning of Peri and have had allergies all my adult life but getting more anaphylactic reactions as the years go on x

Happytobe

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 11:21:10 PM »

Oh dear as I thought another menopause gift! Any tips other than hrt which I don't want to take?

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 06:07:19 AM »

Can't think of anything other than for me I carry an inhaler, anti histamines and 2x epipens with me always x

Happytobe

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 07:59:38 AM »

Yes I always have my blue inhaler with me. Sometimes I have antihistamines but have never had an epipen

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 08:25:41 AM »

I never got on with the blue inhaler, I have a pink one so each puff gives me reliever and steroid together x

willowrannoch

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 10:07:41 AM »

Yup. Started to sneeze and have runny eyes about three years ago. I got flixonase nose drops that cleared it up after a couple of weeks. I stopped taking them and now only need to use them 2-3 times a year. Apparently I'm allergic to cats and household dust, something I've lived with for years with no ill effects.

However in the last four months I've been getting breathless, doc things it might be asthma and am doing peak flow monitoring just now. However I'm not so sure. My chest feels really tight and sore and in morning, first thing I have a sore cough that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Have an appointment to go back in new year so will keep you posted.

JaneinPen

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 12:34:44 PM »

Yep. I do too. Always had allergies but they are definitely worse the last few years. I react to many more things than I used to

Rustysmum

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 04:40:17 AM »

I have noticed this too. Just went to my GP a month ago as breathing is bad in the mornings , especially if it is damp. She has referred me to the asthma nurse. I am also 57 and 18 months without a period. I never had any allergies until peri then seemed to become allergic to mould and birch pollen. Am on bio-identical HRT which has helped most other symptoms  Oh the joys!

hereandthere

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 05:36:35 AM »

I developed mild asthma as an adult and it has got worse, so maybe it is the menopause. I had severe hay fever my whole life but only as an adult I went on a nasal steroid spray. My 2nd ENT told me had I taken the spray as a child and at least every day as an adult instead of sporadically, I would have a far better chance of avoiding the asthma.
The corticosteroid sprays are pretty effective for avoiding congestion, so long as you use them every day (which is how they are designed to work). They are very low dose steroid and not designed to work as an acute medicine, but for chronic use. Rather use an antihistamine for that. Other non steroid sprays ie decongestant sprays work well acutely but can be associated with rebound symptoms.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 03:48:33 PM »

:bounce: