Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Holiday anxiety -need help!  (Read 6705 times)

westie

Holiday anxiety -need help!
« on: November 17, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »

Hello ladies

Just need to offload. We are off on a long haul holiday shortly, just me and my lovely husband and my anxiety is through the roof. It really is a lovely holiday and one we have saved hard for but at the moment I just want to stay at home-how ridiculous is that?!

I haven't said anything to my husband as I know how much he is looking forward to it and don't want to spoil things. So if anyone has any words of wisdom to calm me down so I can enjoy myself as I am supposed to do I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
W xx

NaturalMystic

Re: Holiday anxiety -need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:26:07 PM »

Hi Westie,

I fully understand the need to stay close to home when you have anxiety/panic disorder.  I sometimes wont do a longer dog walk because I'm scared ill have an attack and pass out somewhere.  I sometimes have panic about driving longer distances now.

However I honestly this will be good for you.  Ride the holiday anxiety, it will pass and you'll have a fabulous time xxx

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 07:37:56 PM »

Oh Westie you're going through exactly what I am,we save all year to go on a luxurious cruise over Xmas & new year,do it every year & always look forward to it but this year I'm panicking,can't tell my husband as he is soooooo looking forward to it,like you I'd be quite happy staying at home.what the hell is wrong with me

NaturalMystic

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »

You both sound like you have supportive husbands so remember that you have someone on holiday with you to help you through.  I don't have that luxury, it's me me and I

Enjoy both of you, I think you'll find it very relaxing and will be glad you went.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 08:21:01 PM »

TELL HIM!!!

Mine is aware immediately I begin to go under and from experience we know how I might be.

So I have anti-anxiety medication, i.e. a 'valium'-type pill.  Knowing that I have it with me helps.  Knowing that it helps within 20 mins. helps.

Explain that you are worried about spoiling it for him.  Depending on the type of holiday, is there something that he can do if you decide to stay behind?  Museums etc. so that at least he gets out and about, DH goes fishing or we drive to a quiet spot and simply sit.  For years I had guilt about the potential to spoil things but now it's a bonus if I get to the holiday  ::) and anything after is great.

Don't beat yourself up.  Make sure that any paper work you have is close by and that you have copies at home.  Pack early so that you don't back yourself into a corner.  My clothes are laid out ready days ahead and cases close by.  I put everything in at least 2 days prior to travelling ;-)

R U going somewhere nice?

AgathaC

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »

I get worried about going away. Leaving my company and my home and my parents. Hoping everyone has a great time. That kind of thing.
I find my anxiety is lessened by being super organised and really focusing on researching where we are going. Get all the guidebooks, etc etc. You will have a great time and Natural Mystic is right about having someone nice to share the experience with. Bon Voyage!

westie

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 08:17:05 AM »

Thank you so much ladies , horrible though this whole Anxiety thing is, it is reassuring to know I am not alone.

CKLD we are going to Dubai for a couple of days and then on to Mauritius for a week.  I worry about leaving my boys ( both at Uni ) ,my elderly, but very independent  Mum and my dog!! Ridiculous I know and even as I type this I feel like a spoilt child as I know others have far worse to cope with.

This crippling anxiety is by far the worst meno symptom I have had and it doesn't get any easier. If it wasn't for this forum I think would have gone completely mad a long time ago.

Jaypo I really hope you enjoy your cruise with your family at Christmas . I have stocked up on the rescue remedy and downloaded the 'Calm' app to my phone to help and am going to take your advice Mystic Meg ,ride the anxiety and try to enjoy myself.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again ladies, so very much appreciated.

W xx

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »

Thanks westie,hope you have a nice time too 😊 xx

NaturalMystic

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 01:02:19 PM »

Thank you so much ladies , horrible though this whole Anxiety thing is, it is reassuring to know I am not alone.

CKLD we are going to Dubai for a couple of days and then on to Mauritius for a week.  I worry about leaving my boys ( both at Uni ) ,my elderly, but very independent  Mum and my dog!! Ridiculous I know and even as I type this I feel like a spoilt child as I know others have far worse to cope with.

This crippling anxiety is by far the worst meno symptom I have had and it doesn't get any easier. If it wasn't for this forum I think would have gone completely mad a long time ago.

Jaypo I really hope you enjoy your cruise with your family at Christmas . I have stocked up on the rescue remedy and downloaded the 'Calm' app to my phone to help and am going to take your advice Mystic Meg ,ride the anxiety and try to enjoy myself.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again ladies, so very much appreciated.

W xx
LOL at mystic meg 😂 natural mystic is my favourite bob Marley song 🎶😍

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »

I'm with you on the dog, no way did I leave mine in kennels - we had stay cations ;-). 

That's a long way to go  :-\

westie

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »

Oops sorry Naturalmystic! Don't know what made me call you mystic meg😂😂 must be my addled brain!

CKLD  I wouldn't put our dog in kennels either he goes to a lovely lady down the road and doesn't even say goodbye when we drop him off!

Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 09:07:10 PM »

No loyalty there then  ;D

Angel1964

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 07:56:57 AM »

I can totally relate to this. Partner keeps on about going abroad in February.  I'm so scared of going with my anxiety and in case I feel worse when travelling and being there. I get panicky just going the shops or out eating :( wish I could stop my worrying all the time.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 01:23:11 PM »

I am much better than even 5 years ago, unless anxiety strikes  :-\.  I try not to plan too far ahead which is difficult when travelling abroad.

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 01:40:47 PM »

Hello ladies

Just need to offload. We are off on a long haul holiday shortly, just me and my lovely husband and my anxiety is through the roof. It really is a lovely holiday and one we have saved hard for but at the moment I just want to stay at home-how ridiculous is that?!

I haven't said anything to my husband as I know how much he is looking forward to it and don't want to spoil things. So if anyone has any words of wisdom to calm me down so I can enjoy myself as I am supposed to do I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
W xx
    I am not usually anxious about the holiday itself. I do want to go but I worry about feeling ill on the trip and spoiling it for others/being inconvenient to the tour leader. My particular issue concerns developing UTI symptoms at the last minute so that it is impossible to get an AB in time/have a urine test done and get the result. My pre trip concerns spoil the anticipation of the trip.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4