Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Anxiety an Panic  (Read 9669 times)

EnglishRose

Re: Anxiety an Panic
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 12:25:11 PM »

I believe I have been peri for 10 years, have all the signs, I turned 50 this year (and hate that number lol).

What I find the most difficult is the panic, the feeling of impending doom that just comes over you.  You don't know to do, to fight (stay) or run the feeling of wanting to run away from your body is tremendous.  Having one of these today and just feel helpless.

I have a fantastic week, panic free, sleeping better (I think due to the oestrogen gel).

Anyone else have these? You really think his is your time to die when its happening but of course you don't ... But maybe this time.

I think I'm losing my mind.

Nicky, Essex

Oh, hi all 😋

I can relate I'm 50 soon too and like you peri since I turned 40.
The 💩 hit the fan 7 weeks ago ... some symptoms that scared the hell out of me.,. I said to my partner in times of hysteria “I want to just run but I've nowhere to run to I can't run from myself “ so I can totally relate.
I was anxious about something specific though.. general anxiety is not something I suffer with much...

Have you tried those apps Headspace ? They're great for calming the central nervous system down .. guided mindfulness meditation that you can decide to do for 5 mins or longer...

lizziefin

• First Flush
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »

Can I ask what medication works for you. I've been taking Prozac for just over three weeks but as yet my health anxiety is still here

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 05:38:04 PM »

Hi Lizziefin - I have been taking anti-depressants since the 1980s.  It takes a few weeks for the medication to kick in, I found the more depressed my brain was the longer it took to feel benefit.  I now take a beta blocka at night as well as an anti-anxiety medication when required. 

jaypo

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 06:12:43 PM »

Hi Lizziefin - I have been taking anti-depressants since the 1980s.  It takes a few weeks for the medication to kick in, I found the more depressed my brain was the longer it took to feel benefit.  I now take a beta blocka at night as well as an anti-anxiety medication when required.
That's what I want,just something as & when needed!what is it you take clkd

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »

For years I had 5mg of Valium as necessary.  3 times a day if required but once I knew that it worked for me I used it the night B4 we had events that I couldn't get out of.  Visiting his family. Visiting mine.  I could have not gone but he has been so patient and kind during my illnesses that it was my re-payment of his kindness, to suffer the anxiety, taking the medication and getting through the day/weekend visits.  I would often go to sleep in the afternoon and his mother would say 'Did you have an early start?' or "You'll get a stiff neck if you sit in that position".  I know it was probably seen as rude, but heck she had her son in the room ........... if I went to bed for a couple of hours she would stand outside the door and ask in a very loud voice, "Who would like a cup of tea or coffee" ........ no need, she could have asked them quietly in the lounge  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Now I have another drug as necessary, when panic attacks take over: of course I can't remember the name as I rarely use it but it does work within 20-40 mins..  Because I know it works I don't become reliant on it.  I have also tried Rescue Remedy mouth spray.  That has been useful too, as has relaxation therapy: providing I remembered to practice  ::)

Jodie_28

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 12:10:43 AM »

I can relate NaturalMystic - your story sounds very familiar. As others have mentioned, anti depressants have been a major help for me alongside hrt etc. But, as always, it isn't for everyone. I've had a few other friends actually feel worse having been on them long-term, so it's definitely a case by case thing. I'm just lucky enough for them to give me a hand, but it definitely doesn't completely get rid of that anxious / anxiety inducing feelings. Though it does lessen them, which I guess is the best we can hope for. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a cure-all!

If nothing else i appreciate those good days all the more, hope you start feeling a little more you soon. Being able to chat with likeminded people here is *definitely* a plus <3

NaturalMystic

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »

Thanks for your time taken to respond fellow menopausers.

I have some fantastic days where I feel so good, almost forget I have anxiety ... Then it jumps out at me, like today.

The heart flutters are so frightening it takes all I mentally have to get through it.

Son days I just wonder if I can carry on like this, today is one of those days.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »

This too will pass.  The trick is to take medically what gets your through.  It's Trial and Error at a time when we are tired ........

Kathleen

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 07:07:24 PM »

Hello ladies.

Unfortunately the menopause has made me very familiar with anxiety and panic.

NaturalMystic - It may help you to know that I had lots of palpitations earlier in my meno journey and how my heart didn't leap out of my chest I don't know lol. I have odd flutters now but much, much milder so they do pass. I understand your despair though, they can be so scary and their unpredictability is horrible.

Wishing you well and sending hugs.

K.

NaturalMystic

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 07:41:20 PM »

Thanks, you always help ladies, as I hope I help others during my stronger days.

I'm ok, taken 20 mg propranalol and 2mg valium, some days I just have to xx

Wishing you all well too as I know you are suffering too xxx

EnglishRose

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »

For years I had 5mg of Valium as necessary.  3 times a day if required but once I knew that it worked for me I used it the night B4 we had events that I couldn't get out of.  Visiting his family. Visiting mine.  I could have not gone but he has been so patient and kind during my illnesses that it was my re-payment of his kindness, to suffer the anxiety, taking the medication and getting through the day/weekend visits.  I would often go to sleep in the afternoon and his mother would say 'Did you have an early start?' or "You'll get a stiff neck if you sit in that position".  I know it was probably seen as rude, but heck she had her son in the room ........... if I went to bed for a couple of hours she would stand outside the door and ask in a very loud voice, "Who would like a cup of tea or coffee" ........ no need, she could have asked them quietly in the lounge  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Now I have another drug as necessary, when panic attacks take over: of course I can't remember the name as I rarely use it but it does work within 20-40 mins..  Because I know it works I don't become reliant on it.  I have also tried Rescue Remedy mouth spray.  That has been useful too, as has relaxation therapy: providing I remembered to practice  ::)

Wow your describing me only it's my own family I hate to attend functions of. I won't go illl make excuses up.
My family are the most judgemental and the least understanding
My sister knows I've been very sick lately so does my brother and my parents
Not one of them picked the phone up much less paid a visit and my dad told me to NOT contact mum about my health issues as it's causing her anxiety
This is not a new thing, mum always sent dad to deal with less than happy times..as a young girl living alone from 17 I saw that as rejection and thought she didn't forgive or love me.
Sadly I can't let it go although I've never brought it up,

You can't have ANY relationship and say you only want contact if they're happy and healthy...

Funny how as you grow older you see your parents as less God like and just humans warts and all....

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 08:51:56 PM »

Maybe your Mum has always had anxiety so lacked empathy?  Now it's worse for her?

I can't understand why families think it's OK to be judgemental?  Is it that they don't believe us?  or that my being anxious increases their own weaknesses though Dad was very good with me.  I think Mum probably was ......... but in a different more practical manner.

2mg Valium is very little.  I was taking 10mg 3 times a day years ago, the dropped to 10mg as necessary and then 5mg.  Because I know that these types of meds work for me I don't feel any concern about addiction, however, if it's what keeps me alive then I'll take what is necessary!

I also have 20mg Propranolol at night.  Supposedly to stop any early morning anxiety surges.  Most days, it works ;-)

:bighug:

NorthArm

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 09:45:18 AM »

Hi Nicky

I replied on your other thread, so won't repeat here...

Just to let you know that I get these feelings intermittently still - just lately they've been returning more often, along with feeling like I can't cope with the simplest of tasks, like paying a bill for instance!

I have had some dreadfully stressful things happen over the last couple of months, and the thought of Christmas is having me reeling...! And I'm finding now, after 18 months of this, that even when I'm feeling ‘ok', I'm anxious about when it's going to hit again...I find if I challenge those thoughts that sometimes will help.

So in my case, I'm going to increase my oestrogen patch up to 100mcg and see if that reduces it all again.

This is such a journey. Next time I'm coming back as a man X

I'm hoping you're feeling a bit better

NaturalMystic

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 06:44:19 PM »

Hi Nicky

I replied on your other thread, so won't repeat here...

Just to let you know that I get these feelings intermittently still - just lately they've been returning more often, along with feeling like I can't cope with the simplest of tasks, like paying a bill for instance!

I have had some dreadfully stressful things happen over the last couple of months, and the thought of Christmas is having me reeling...! And I'm finding now, after 18 months of this, that even when I'm feeling ‘ok', I'm anxious about when it's going to hit again...I find if I challenge those thoughts that sometimes will help.

So in my case, I'm going to increase my oestrogen patch up to 100mcg and see if that reduces it all again.

This is such a journey. Next time I'm coming back as a man X

I'm hoping you're feeling a bit better
I'm coming back as an owl 😁

racjen

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »

We have an ongoing discussion on here about benzodiazepenes, the drugs CLKD refers to as the ones she uses 'as and when' she needs them. Without wishing to inflame the whole debate again, I just want to point out that diazepam (same as Valium), lorazepam (which is the next step up and the one CLKD is referring to) and all the others in this family, are highly addictive and can be absolute hell to come off.

CLKD is pretty unusual in that she manages to just take them occasionally - I don't know if this is a reflection of her basic personality, or the nature of her anxiety. Personally my anxiety is so relentless I've not been able to just take diazepam 'as and when' - the problem with these drugs is that when you get the amazing feeling of that horrible anxiety just melting away you want it again and again, but unfortunately you quickly build up a tolerance and become dependent and then they have no effect, but you have to keep taking them to avoid even worse withdrawal symptoms.

I'm currently stuck on 14mg diazepam every morning - it does nothing for my anxiety but I have to take it, and I feel like a drug addict. There seem to be no other anti-anxiety drugs I can tolerate, which is why I've ended up in this position. I'm ot saying don't take them, I just want to put an alternative view across because for many people this particular class of drug can be really harmful.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5