Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dr. Marilyn Glenville  (Read 6273 times)

sap22

Dr. Marilyn Glenville
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »

Has anyone had experience of visiting her clinic in Tunbridge Wells?  She has written books and has a lot of information online re supplements, diet, herbs etc.for the menopause.  Just wondered if anyone had heard reviews...?  Thanks, xx

Shadyglade

Re: Dr. Marilyn Glenville
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 10:37:05 PM »

I used her book loads during peri but did not visit her clinic.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 06:35:48 PM »

Is she selling products? 

sap22

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »

She gives consultations to women for all sorts of things including menopause using nutrition and herbs... her website has a lot of info on it...

https://www.marilynglenville.com/womens-health-issues/menopause/

She writes books, lectures, has clinics -  someone recommended her to me, but I have yet to speak to them about it properly...

xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:38:24 PM »

Herbs?  These carry risks too.  If herbs gave long-term benefit, they would be on the NHS  ;)

Shadyglade

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 04:39:12 PM »

All UK sold herbal remedies are now regulated CLKD. Also in many other countries they are prescribed.  Certainly were when we lived in Germany, where a herbal remedy is generally given alongside a conventional drug or sometimes instead of.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »

She's not a medical doctor sap22.

Also she sells all sorts of things including expensive blood tests as well as her books.

However the priniciple of eating a good balanced diet full of selected fresh ingredients as well as any healthy lifestyle advice - is great, and applicable to all of us throughout our lives and especially at this time apporaching menopause and beyond - as long as you don't have to pay for it!!

Personally I wouldn't waste money on a consultation - what would you hope to get from it that you couldn't get from reading or from your own doctor?

I think she found a niche in the market and has exploited it very well (says she cynically!) - you can tell I don't really approve of people setting themselves up to make money out of vulnerable women at this stage of life! By all  means write a few books - but the fact that she has premises in Harley Street amongst others - says it all - the province of the well-off and celebrity culture.

Sorry sap22  ;D. Just my view!!!

Hurdity x

Shadyglade

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 10:28:06 PM »

Well said jari. We are of like mind on this topic.  :great:

Shadyglade

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »

Dr. Glenville's book is recommended on the Alternative Therapys page, on this website.  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »

Just to follow up on Hurdity's slating of trying menopause the natural route following a hormone balancing diet/lifestyle... you can go on her website for free and get the info that you need.

Ooh Jari - I think if you read my post that is not the case at all - in fact quite the opposite! You will see that I am totally in favour of positive dietary and lifestyle changes and said so in my post! What I was slating in response to sap22's post asking for views, was a non-gynaecologist with Harley Street premises charging huge amounts for consultations, blood tests and supplements - which in my view is unnecessary - and as I said if you want any of this advice it is available through reading.

Personally hrt was awful for me. It makes sense to try at least to alter diet/lifestyle to balance hormones naturally. All I can say is it's working for me so far... hrt was disastrous. Various appointments with private gynaecologists at £180 per appointment not to mention the blood test and scan costs. They throw hrt at you without a care in the world. They are making a huge salary. Lucky them.

Some women spend decades on and off various hormones trialing different methods...all the time messing with the hormones in their body. No wonder they are causing havoc and delaying the menopause.

By replacing the hormones in your body, that should be naturally decreasing, we just delay the menopause, unless of course we want to stay on these drugs the rest of our lives.

Hrt is a quick fix and may suit many women but for me the natural route is healthier and cheaper.

I also disagree with private gynaecologists charging huge amounts for menopausal consultations about HRT! All of this advice and treatment is available on NHS - although I recognise that there are still some GPs not yet up to speed with current evidence-based thinking about HRT and the menopause.

The argument about HRT delaying the menopause has been put many times. Quite simply it doesn't. HRT replaces hormones that are decreasing and if taken during peri-menopause - eliminates those symptoms and often the mood swings occurring during this time so that  the ovaries pack-up when they were going to pack up anyway - it (menopause = cessation of ovulation) happens in the background. If at sme time in the future a woman decided to stop HRT eg at 59 then  her menopause will have happened. However for a proportion of women the unpleasant symptoms of flushes and sweats return. This is not going through the menopause again - there is research showing that some women ( in the absence of hRT) can continue with flushes and sweats well after menopause and for some even up to 14 years. So the women for whom flushes returned after cessation of HRT are likely to be the women who would still be flushing.

In any case HRT is not just about a quick fix for short term symptoms - adding oestrogen has other longer term health benefits too which are well documented - notably protection of heart/cardio-vascular system, and bone health. Some women live for over 40 years post-menopause and taking HRT can delay or prevent some of the worst consequences of oestrogen deficiency. Of course, it is a personal choice, and some women are also unable to take HRT - but one that should be made in full possession of current evidence.

For may women actually taking HRT is the healthier route -  AS WELL AS not INSTEAD OF the natural route ( ie diet and lifestyle changes).

I am sorry that your consultation was wasted and that HRT did not work for you - so much depends on the type and dose you take and the menopausal stage, amongst other things. Also pleased that what you are doing is also working for you - this has to be positive. But don't rule out thinking about HRT in the future if symptoms become difficult or unbearable!

All the best

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »

As an aside... It's interesting how working out of Harley Street is often deemed as negative, or some kind of ruse.

When working in Central London we really have little choice. Harley Street has the lion share of consulting room availability, some very expensive and others more affordable. It's always a risk though in hiring rooms and I've probably lost more money there than I've made as it's very hard to market yourself in such a dense area.

Anyway, just wanted to say that please don't assume Harley means being ripped off. I'm sure there will be some dodgy peddlers there (like everywhere) but there are also some great doctors and therapists working tirelessly for much less financial reward than is presumed.

Beaker

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 05:09:47 PM »

I took a look at her website just now.  I find it odd that odd that under the Herb section it says "A good herbal formula should contain..." and a list of herbs and recommended amounts follows.  However, when I checked the ingredients of the supplements on sale on the website - none of them contain all of the list of herbs or even the minimum amounts she recommends.  By that definition, the herbs being sold on her website are NOT good then?

Shadyglade

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 09:04:11 PM »

Hi Beaker, I have checked out the website and am having trouble joining up the dots. I can't find the sentence you quoted. Also the list of herbs and vitamins seems to be general recommendations with what looks like min and max doses. The products, which seem to be different herbs for a specific program, and are separate thing altogether.

Can you give me a clue as to your concern as I couldn't find a problem.

Shadyglade

PS. Have just checked out some of your old posts and see that you are concerned that herb remedies are unregulated and un tested. I assure you that that all herbal supplements, sold in the UK, are now fully regulated and have been for some years. Also many have been used for hundreds of years and pharm companies would not be interested in the cost of testing.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:12:19 PM by Shadyglade »

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 10:37:32 AM »

PS. Have just checked out some of your old posts and see that you are concerned that herb remedies are unregulated and un tested. I assure you that that all herbal supplements, sold in the UK, are now fully regulated and have been for some years. Also many have been used for hundreds of years and pharm companies would not be interested in the cost of testing.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure what you are saying re products used for hundreds of years? Are you saying they are safe because of this or do not need to be tested or what - sorry I'm not clear.

The regulation of herbal medicines as I understand it refers to the purity of the actual product - ie are you getting what it says on the tin free from contaminants etc, rather than specific tests pertaining to the safety or efficacy of the product.

Therefore any herbal product/medicine/tablet purchased within the EU is hopefully that bona fide pure product, due to the regulations, but this does not mean that it works for the purpose for which it is sold nor that it is safe long term - irrespective of how long is might have been used as a folk remedy.

Hurdity x

Shadyglade

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 04:30:50 PM »

Hi sap22,

Did you dicided to go.  If so let us know how you get on.  :)
Pages: [1] 2