Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: I'm struggling  (Read 1687 times)

Janeydrew

I'm struggling
« on: November 11, 2018, 06:14:00 AM »

Please can some one help I'm 49 been peri for a few years started with a very sore mini with like tiny cuts inside me went to the Dr who gave me vagifem brilliant it cleared up so I take that now just occasionally which is fine. She put me on some get pills which gave me scatica so stopped them in the meantime my periods are static some weeks I'll spot for days then bleed for 2 weeks then go 4 months with nothing I have tried about 4 different pills and all of them set my back off to the point I can't actually walk sort again I stop them and after 2 days everything is back to normal regarding my back... the thing is I don't sleep I go to bed at 10 and wake up at 2 as if it's 8 in the morning I start work at 6 anyway so I'm shattered.. the nightmares are horrendous I mean proper nasty which again wakes me up. I now have got the most painful breasts I could cry as even if I knock them slightly it takes my breath away and also I've got a mouth ulcer that I've had now for 2 weeks which again is so painful wen to the Dr she gave me ulgtan to stop the spotting which is working but nothing will shift these sore boobs and mouth ahhh sorry for the long post but I seriously need some advice .. before I go I will say the hours change because the sore boobs and sore ulcer hurt differently hour to hour so 1 hour I can't even sip a drink the next hour it's fine I have to check that it's still there as it hadn't hurt for a bit then bang it kills again . One last thing I've had my bloods done last year she said it was 8.4 and something about 8.6 so not sure what she was referring to so basically does anyone know what hormone am i lacking or need to help many many thanks xx

Nik2502

Re: I'm struggling
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 12:59:56 PM »

I'm sorry I can't help but you certainly aren't alone. It's awful isn't if? After being relatively normal  ;Dmost of my life I now feel like I've been kidnapped by aliens.
Im sure one of the more knowledgable lady's will be along to offer advice xx

kinola67

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 01:28:30 PM »

Hello, sorry to hear you're having such a terrible time, I am 50 and have been peri for a few years too, starting with major anxiety a few years back. I seem to have had every symptom under the sun and they change over the course of weeks/months into other symptoms, it's so very frustrating and worrying - so I know where you're at. I think the hormones are up and down so that's causing your on off bleeding, sleep problems and ulcers. I have been on the mini pill for many years which has helped my ovarian cysts, I think I am generally (or was) estrogen dominant, I haven't had periods for years whilst on the pill which was great, I only knew I was in peri because of all the other symptoms such as night sweats, joint pain etc. I came off it earlier this year to see if I was 'through' it but my cysts flared up and I couldn't stand it so went back on it. I then bled almost constantly for months but now seem to be back into a cycle of some sort I'm trying to track. So along with the usual rise and fall of hormones during a cycle, you are also subject to peri making your hormones go crazy. I think progesteron spikes can cause ulcers, I used to have them as a teen all the time and have not had any until recently. I am in week 4 of my cycle at the moment and my breasts have been really sore and tender, that's easing off a bit now, so down to high estrogen levels? (never had this before!) Sleeping - total nightmare. I've never been a great sleeper (except as a teen!) I started taking menopace night (vits) over a year ago which helped along with vit D which I was low on, and drink night time tea at around 8pm. I think estrogen is a stimulant so you may find interrupted sleep if that's high and progestrone low, but as it varies day to day, it's hard to know when you might get a good sleep. I was given amitryptyline a while back from my GP and that does help for occasional use for a good nights sleep, as it makes me quite groggy in the morning though I can only use when I don't have a really early start. Not sure about the numbers you mention - FSH levels? If you can get a hold on the sleep problems that will help with everything else, I guess all the different pills are not helping either as you don't know what symptoms you are would have without them or what symptoms they may be making worse! I hope you find some answers here xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 03:08:29 PM »

Do read our threads about atrophy.  The treatment is for Life.  Every 3rd and 5/6th night although some ladies require Vagifem nightly and other moisturisers.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 03:25:37 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Janeydew

Do read this article about peri menopause - I think it really helps to understand what is happening when peri starts, as the whole process can be frightening and confusing.
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Starting a bit of low dose HRT can be very helpful in peri meno.  Sleep problems are common adn can be helped both with HRT but also by following sleep hygiene rules: https://www.nras.org.uk/data/files/Publications/Sleep%20Mind%20Map.pdf

Vivid dreams are also common as we get older.
Do look at diet - make sure you get enough nutrients, especially Vitamin D, B vitamins, Omega oils etc  -  eat small meals regularly through the day and learn some relaxation techniques - are all important when menopause hits. DG x

Janeydrew

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »

Thank you for your advice I'm still struggling to understand what do I need I'm booking up to see the Dr this week and would like to go armed with some knowledge of what my body needs lol. When I was younger I so wanted the menopause ahhh with no periods but didn't realise I would feel this terrible  :'(

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »

Hello Janeydrew and welcome to the forum.

I can't  add to the advice that you've been given but as you can see you are not alone!

When my menopause journey began I remember being shocked at how I felt, I genuinely didn't think it was possible to feel so awful just from changing hormones.

Take care and keep posting.

K.

AgathaC

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 08:17:06 PM »

Janeydrew - I am your sore boob friend! I'm 46 and peri.
Mine are sore 3/4 weeks - have you noticed a cyclical pattern to yours?
Obviously any boob issues should be looked at properly and I'm assuming you are doing exams and mammograms as appropriate? Moving on from that/and assuming they are all fine and healthy, then the boob soreness is surely hormonal.
Mine are properly sore (hurts to touch or move them). I wear a bra 24/7 and take starflower oil. This is as advised by my breast doctor/expert. It radiates out to my armpits and makes me super conscious of my breasts and then an added problem....
It fuels my health anxiety and makes me very aware of bodily aches and pains and lumps and bumps. Does this sound familiar?
I get mouth ulcers too - and I think it's when I'm vitamin deficient. I take iron and magnesium and also Vitamin D to try to counteract my heavy periods, anxiety, etc etc.
I'm so sorry you are having a bad time. Hopefully some of this will make you realise you are really not alone!
Also try the 34 menopause symptoms website. Good section on breast pain xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 11:31:37 PM »

Make a note of which symptom you would like eased first.  Take a list with you, do not be fobbed off with 'you are too young' or 'you need anti-depressant medication' ........ maybe take notes and don't change the prescription if given one, until you have read further on here by using the search box.

Broswe round.  Make notes  ;)

Janeydrew

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 06:43:13 PM »

Thank you all again I have and will continue to read and keep reading will update once I've seen the Dr again again thank you all xx