Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Evorel Sequi and Hypothyroidism  (Read 2439 times)

Dawnjenn67

Evorel Sequi and Hypothyroidism
« on: November 08, 2018, 03:51:23 PM »

Hello, I'm a new member and Menopause Matters was recommended to me by a lady from Thyroid UK. I started HRT (FemSeven Sequi patches) 2 months ago due to sleepless nights, feeling very hot and low mood. My periods had been regular up until recently but then were a bit hit and miss. As much as I tried I couldn't get FemSeven patches to stick and after getting through 2 boxes another GP swapped me to Evorel Sequi. I've been trying these patches over the last 3 weeks and although they stick better I feel worse than the first month on FemSeven. My sleep has become erratic again, I itch all over when I lay in bed and I feel quite tearful. I looked online today and I found out that 'special care should be taken for the following conditions' and then at the end of a very long list it said thyroid problems. I've removed the patch I was wearing and I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday. I have no idea where to start or what to ask for regarding HRT and feel quite cross that nothing was mentioned about my thyroid at my last consultation. Does anybody have Hypothyroidism and has found a HRT that doesn't interfere with their medication? I'd like to be able to ask my GP for something else on Wednesday but I don't think she is too familiar with HRT as she had to look in a book and offered me anti depressants first to help with the symptoms. Thank you, Dawn

Katejo

Re: Evorel Sequi and Hypothyroidism
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 03:56:45 PM »

Hello, I'm a new member and Menopause Matters was recommended to me by a lady from Thyroid UK. I started HRT (FemSeven Sequi patches) 2 months ago due to sleepless nights, feeling very hot and low mood. My periods had been regular up until recently but then were a bit hit and miss. As much as I tried I couldn't get FemSeven patches to stick and after getting through 2 boxes another GP swapped me to Evorel Sequi. I've been trying these patches over the last 3 weeks and although they stick better I feel worse than the first month on FemSeven. My sleep has become erratic again, I itch all over when I lay in bed and I feel quite tearful. I looked online today and I found out that 'special care should be taken for the following conditions' and then at the end of a very long list it said thyroid problems. I've removed the patch I was wearing and I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday. I have no idea where to start or what to ask for regarding HRT and feel quite cross that nothing was mentioned about my thyroid at my last consultation. Does anybody have Hypothyroidism and has found a HRT that doesn't interfere with their medication? I'd like to be able to ask my GP for something else on Wednesday but I don't think she is too familiar with HRT as she had to look in a book and offered me anti depressants first to help with the symptoms. Thank you, Dawn
Hi dawnjenn67   I can't answer your question because I haven't yet tried any systemic HRT but I am looking into it at the moment. I do also have hypothyroidism. I have read the patient leaflets for several different types of HRT including Evorel but no mention was made of Levothyroxine being a problem.

Dawnjenn67

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 04:14:59 PM »

I don't know how to attach the document but it's from a package leaflet online http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/spcpil/documents/spcpil/con1514526056255.pdf

Not sure if the link above will work.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 04:27:27 PM »

I don't know how to attach the document but it's from a package leaflet online http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/spcpil/documents/spcpil/con1514526056255.pdf

Not sure if the link above will work.
it does work and I can see that thyroid problems are mentioned. It might be worth you chatting to a pharmacist. I did that this week concerning epilepsy medication which I take. He was helpful said that it might mean an adjustment in dosage is needed but didn't think there was any incompatibility. I didn't think to ask about thyroid at that moment in time. I might go back and do so.

Dawnjenn67

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 04:32:23 PM »

Good idea. I hope I can find HRT that's suitable for me  :)

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »

If I get a chance tomorrow, I will go back to the same pharmacy and ask about levothyroxine.  When I reached perimenopause I started getting aching calves and feet and still have this. I did wonder whether it was thyroid related or meno. This is  one of my main reasons for wanting to try systemic HRT. I am already using Vagifem.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 01:30:36 PM »

Hi Dawnjenn67  I have just asked a pharmacist in Boots about the interaction between systemic HRT and Levothyroxine. The answer was as I expected. There is no contra indication between them at all but the HRT may reduce the effectiveness of the Levo so your GP needs to monitor the thyroxine levels and possibly adjust the dosage of the Levo.  I hope that helps you.

Dawnjenn67

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 02:03:35 PM »

Hi Katejo, thank you so much for finding that out. I'll speak to my GP on Wednesday:)

Dawnjenn67

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »

Thank you Stellajane. I'm seeing my GP Wednesday so I'll ask for a blood test x