Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Lansoprozole  (Read 3000 times)

Bluebell

Lansoprozole
« on: November 11, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »

Hi ladies, has anyone ever been put on Lansoprozole and had stomachache?
I was put on it for excess acid and the first week it was fine but now my stomach doesn't feel so good
with it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had this and whether I should stop taking it. 😳 x

Droopeydrawers

Re: Lansoprozole
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 08:36:58 AM »

Morning Carol.i have been put on triple therapy for hpylori so 2 antibiotics and the same ppi as you and yes my stomach has been quite achy the last 2 days I thought it was the antibiotics.I will not stop as I have to try and persevere with the course which is for 2 weeks total but ppi is not something j would want to use long term anyway it's purely because of the antibiotic regime.do a bit of research and look at the various diets recommended for high stomach acid.Id also say to anyone suffering gut pain go and ask your gp to test a stool sample for hpylori as it's something like 60% of the population have it.some people have no symptoms others like myself it eventually creates stomach ulcers amongst other things.have a look on you tube at hpylori and David Hompes he gives some good info on it.This is my second bout of it in ten years.its very painful and has resulted in major food intolerance for me.im now lactose and gluten free but hopefully once I can get rid and heal my gut again I can celebrate with a yummy big 99 ice cream lol.reserarch your diet options would be my advice and speak to your gp.good luck x DD
Ps. The canker sores on my tongue were also an indication of hpylori so any recurring mouth ulcers or cuts on tongue that won't heal id ask to be stool tested for hpylori.my canker sores on tongue are now healing since I started on the triple therapy.x
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:40:59 AM by Droopeydrawers »

Bluebell

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 09:01:36 AM »

Sounds like you've had a bad time of it. I've had a stomach ulcer in the past about thirty years ago.
This time my stomach started up I was sometimes feeling ravenous after eating or I'd feel full after eating not very much. The hot flushes and nightsweats exacerbate it because my stomach goes all nervy when I get them. After being on the ppi's for two weeks it feels like my food is sitting like a brick in my tummy. 😬 Think I'll make an appointment and ask about the stool test.
Hope it's not too long until you are enjoying a 99 ice cream 😋
Thanks for replying. X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 09:02:16 AM »

Hi Carol

They have given you Lansoprozole to stop the acid being reduced by your stomach which can cause stomach ulcers, acid reflux and heartburn.

If after a few weeks there is still heartburn and upper abdominal pain (often pain can radiate into the upper back)  then they will need to do a endoscopy to see what's going on.  AS Droopydrawers has said, they should have tested you for the bacteria hyplori as this can cause stomach ulcers adn requires antibiotic treatment with this PPI.

Taking PPIs like Lansoprozoel long term really not good, as it effects the absorption of food, can cause diarrhoea, osteoporosis and other complications.  I developed diverticulitis because of PPIs.

What the doctors don't tell you is that you can help yourself with heartburn and acid reflux with simple diet changes and just using over the counter heartburn medication like Gaviscon. It is vital to cut down on fat and difficult to digest foods, eat small meals and eat slowly (literally eat half portions and only 2 courses) but eat regularly through the day. Strangely eating an oat biscuit before bed, followed by chewing 2 Gaviscon tablets, can line the stomach to reduce burning when trying to get to sleep.

The problem with PPIs is that they do reduce the natural digestive enzymes so you are probably not digesting well - this can cause stomach pain, excess wind and bloating.  When you stop PPIs there can be a rebound reaction which causes more excess acid for a time but this should settle.  I now take digestive enzymes with every meal as I feel most of my problems were down to a lack of these enzymes  - I was taking too many pain killers as well which wasn't good, so I don't take these any more and I now rarely get acid reflux and burning.   

If you have to take Aspirin or Ibuprofen for some reason then taking a PPI for a short time is OK but in my experience these drugs are not a good thing.  Try to change lifestyle first before resorting to drugs. If you are on HRT, then switch to transdermal  HRT.  I'm pretty sure that PPIs might interfere with the absorption of HRT in pill form. 

Eating smaller meals, low in sugar and fat and going for good brisk walks is a great way to keep the weight under control as well. DG x
DG x

JaneinPen

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 09:11:43 AM »

Hi Carol. I was given lansoprazole (15mg) because I was taking high doses of painkillers for back pain at the time. I was fine for five days then the stomach aches started and I got really bad diarrhoea which is not what is supposed to happen so I stopped taking them and the stomach problem cleared up even although I did have to continue with the high dosage of painkillers for sometime afterwards. Just kept fingers crossed all would be okay. Interestingly a friend also said she had had the same symptoms when she was given Lansoprazole so it obviously doesn't suit everyone

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »

This drug is OK short-term, i.e. 3-4 months - if symptoms persist then another antacid should be tried.  Read Dr James le Fanu's threads in the Daily Telegraph, he's the paper's Monday GP.

I find simple over the counter remedies sufficient: i.e. Rennies or Milk of Magnesia.  My worst time is at night so I try not to eat anything too close to going to bed as laying down starts symptoms.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 03:09:32 PM by CLKD »

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »

I'm only saying this from memory, and boy is my memory bad at times, but I'm sure I read that low stomach acid can give the same symptoms as high stomach acid yet drs always assume it's excess acid ? So they dish out these PPIs that can give bad consequences.  Im pretty sure though that PPIs can leave you deficient in vital nutrients x

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »

I'm only saying this from memory, and boy is my memory bad at times, but I'm sure I read that low stomach acid can give the same symptoms as high stomach acid yet drs always assume it's excess acid ? So they dish out these PPIs that can give bad consequences.  Im pretty sure though that PPIs can leave you deficient in vital nutrients x
I have read much the same and it put me off taking PPI's at all. I have only ever tried them for a few days.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 01:46:59 PM »

I do wish doctors would take the time to set out the options when treating things like acid reflux. Changing what, when and how you eat can make such a big difference (I know from my own experience) but doctors know that too many people would rather take a pill rather than change their lifestyle.  All drugs have side effects and consequences and we should all think twice before taking anything. DG x

ariadne

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 04:08:54 PM »

My husband was on Lansoprozale for years. I read that this was not a good idea long term and encouraged him to try reducing them gradually with a view to stopping them completely.

Instead he takes slippery elm and probiotic capsules every day and avoids too much pastry and citrus fruit.  This has worked very well for him and I am pleased he no longer needs the Lansoprozole. He does have the occasional flare up of heartburn and indigestion but manages them with Gaviscon.

I dont remember him having any stomach problems while he was taking Lansoprozole though.

Ariadne xx

Bluebell

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »

Thanks for all comments...much appreciated. 😉

I have in the past taken digestive enzymes and sauerkraut for my digestion.
I think I'llstart taking them again. X