Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anybody tried Venlafaxine for depression/anxiety?  (Read 6177 times)

ali 61

Anybody tried Venlafaxine for depression/anxiety?
« on: November 06, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »

Ok so I posted 2 weeks ago how my GP gave me Sertraline 25mg for depression/anxiety.
But for 2 weeks I have struggled with side effects: Nausea, dizziness, no appetite, fatigue, but the worst was increasing anxiety to the point of Panic Attacks.
Then for the last few days I started to even have thoughts about dying!!!!

I've just been phoned by my GP. She has decided that this doesnt sound right at all, and is changing me to an SNRI called Venlafaxine (Effexor)
I am starting it as soon as I pick it up, and stopping Sertraline today.
I shall be taking 37.5mg as the lowest start-up dose.

She is also sending me some Ranitidene, to take once a day to help with nausea.

I shall then have another GP phone-call next week to see how I am doing.

Any imput from anybody about Venlafaxine please? Many thanks. xx

Dancing Queen

Re: Anybody tried Venlafaxine for depression/anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »

I was prescribed it but only took a few tabs as it made me feel quite ill. But I had never taken any sort of AD tablets before and didn`t really give my body chance to get used to it. I suspected my problem was hormonal so went back to the Drs and asked for HRT instead which has made me much better. My neighbour had venlaxafine and said after a couple of weeks the side effects went away. If they make you feel bad can you ask to try HRT or have you already tried it? Hope you get on OK x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »

However: I took it with good results  ::).  Start on the lowest dose possible and gradually build up over 3-4 weeks. 

ali 61

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 03:43:16 PM »

Thanks for both of the replies.
CLKD   I think 37.5mg is the lowest dose isn't it? I certainly wont be increasing in any sort of rush!

Dancing Queen    I tried HRT but it didnt suit me due to endometriosis re-emerging and chest pressure.

Jules53

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 08:24:28 AM »

Hi Ali 61.

I know this post was a while ago but I just wondered if you started the Venlafaxine and how you got on with it?

I started back on the lowest dose of 37.5mg 10 days ago and am still suffering some of the side effects. How long did it take to settle with you?

Thanks. Jules

Miabella

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 08:32:34 PM »

Hi Jules,
Just wondering what side effects you are experiencing? I too started 2 weeks ago and feel worse rather than better. My anxiety and depression are getting worse.

Jules53

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 08:53:09 PM »

Hi Miabella.

I took the 37.5mg immediate release for one week and things were starting to settle down but 5 days ago I changed to the extended release and my anxiety had ramped right up again!😫. I haven't got depression and went on them for anxiety. I have been on them before and it did make things worse for 2-3 weeks but then I felt really good so hang on in there it should get better.

What dose are you on Miabella? x

Miabella

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 08:47:39 PM »

Hi Jules53
Sorry I haven't been on the forum for a week or so and only just saw your reply.
I took 37.5 normal tablets for a week and seemed to notice a difference almost straight away (although I was suspicious that an AD would work so quickly). Then following my psychiatrist's instructions i increased to 75mg extended release. I've been on those for 19 days now (so 26 in all on Venlafaxine) and I'm not seeing any improvement really, in fact some days I feel I am getting worse. Don't know whether to stick it out a bit longer. How are you doing?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 09:12:02 AM »

I found with depression that the longer my brain had been depressed, the longer it took for medication to ease those feelings.

If you aren't getting any particular side effects I would stick with it.  I found that suddenly I noticed a difference  ::)

Rosie77

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 11:14:46 AM »

Hello ladies, Is anybody still on Venlaflaxine?
  I am going to the gyno tomorrow about possibly adjusting my HRT.  Was also going to ask about Sertraline...any input would be greatly appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:22:47 AM by Rosie77 »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 11:17:36 AM »

Hi! read the above.  What have you been prescribed it for?

Rosie77

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 11:25:13 AM »

Hello!  Having trouble with migraines and nortripyline made my heart race, so I am weaning off.  I have anxiety and most likely depression too.  Constant fatigue.  I have to see a neurologist in July.  But, it is hard to function  :(

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »

Constant fatigue can be due to low VitD levels.  Two summers ago I would do 20 mins. weeding then sit for 2 hours absolutely still.  Blood test and suitable capsules eased the problems!

Little steps.

Rosie77

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »

Thanks CKLD!  Vitamin levels are pretty good.  I take vitamins too. I've been having fatigue, dizziness, disequilibrium  for a couple of years.  Recently diagnosed with vestibular migraine, but I am not convinced of it.  Going to a neuro as I want to be re screened for MS and migraines.  I was talking on the phone yesterday and a wave of fatigue came over me.  Just not right.   :'(

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »

Crashing fatigue is common during The Change.  I remember Mum sitting down suddenly and falling asleep ......... I too can sleep when my body shuts off.  Let us know how you get on!
Pages: [1] 2