Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Menopause and Lichen Sclerosis  (Read 1984 times)

chrissyg

Menopause and Lichen Sclerosis
« on: May 15, 2019, 12:40:53 PM »

Hi Everyone
Been diagnosed with LS recently. I was prescribed Diprosone. Due to see doc in a week. I am so scared and don't know what to expect.
Is it common with menopause? While it is embarrassing why LS not commonly discussed when doing Pap Smear so that women can anticipate should there be symptoms.
Help please  :'(
Chrissy

Maryjane

Re: Menopause and Lichen Sclerosis
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »

LS should be treated with potent steroid for life, more when first diagnosed & then a maintenance amount, due to the fact 5% of LS cases can turn to vulva cancer. So a correct diagnosis is important.

racjen

Re: Menopause and Lichen Sclerosis
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 05:57:29 PM »

It is definitely true that LS can only be prescribed by biopsy - I think it can be mistaken for the more common vaginal atrophy that comes with menopause. It is pretty uncommon, in my experience only women who either have it or have a very close friend or relative who does, know anything about it. It's thought to be an auto-immune disorder, so if you have type-1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid problems etc. you're more likely to get it. Good to alert your close female relatives to look out for signs as they're more likely to develop it too.