Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: These supplements may be of benefit.  (Read 3877 times)

Sally S

These supplements may be of benefit.
« on: December 02, 2018, 05:37:58 PM »

Hi Ladies,

I just thought I'd share the supplements that I've been taking - I'm sure these are nothing new to a lot of you but just thought I'd list them in case these may help just one person!!  I've been suffering for a few years with awful tiredness and low mood.  I've been taking these supplements for just over two months now and in the last two weeks I have suddenly had a lot more energy....I'm getting up easier in the mornings, I'm doing a Pilates class and straight afterwards I do Aquafit. It may all be just a coincidence  though!!?  I am
vegetarian and have been eating:

lots of Tofu (a pack a day)
Arkopharma high strength 70mg soya isoflavones
Magnesium tablets
Vit C tablet
Seven Seas liquid Max strength fish oil with Vit D
A women's multi vitamin/mineral for hair/skin in particular (careful not to take too much Vit D)
A probiotic capsule - this brand was recommended by The Menopause doctor, Dr Newson.

I am still considering HRT as I am only 45 and have had a lot of peri Menopause symptoms but at the moment I am not half as bad as I was and I just wanted to share this info in case in can help any of you!

Best wishes 🎅🏼😊

jaypo

Re: These supplements may be of benefit.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »

Hi sally,I'm veggie too & pretty much take those items bar tofu daily,I've heard a lot about the soya isoflavones but I've been told not to take too much soya,it's a minefield out there,take this don't take that aaaaargghhhh😄

Sally S

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »

Hi Jaypo, was this advice from a GP and due to a possible increased risk of BC being initiated?  I have heard about this but have done no research on it so have no idea what is considered too much! 

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »

Yes bc as there's a long history in my maternal side,also was told by a nutritionist,I'd do some homework,not sure how much is too much,I'm not sure if anyone knows,I've had so many conflicting answers.think my head may explode with so much info 😂

Sally S

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 08:11:15 PM »

Ah, I see.....it definitely depends on which website you browse doesn't it!?  I guess the more up to date the better.  An informative one I just found was BDA (British dietetic association). It was very reassuring about soya/isoflavones. BDA.uk.com

AgathaC

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 08:15:27 PM »

I've had a lot of conflicting advice on soya and soya isoflavones too.
I'm perimenopause (47) and have a lot of hormonal breast discomfort.
I started having lots of soya because I thought it would help and then I read something negative so I cut it all out! There is bc in my family so I have decided to avoid it from now on. Jaypo - you are right that there is so much information!
Sally - thanks for the list. I'm interested in what others take. I have tried a lot and am committed to magnesium and starflower oil on a daily basis for anxiety and breast tenderness.

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 08:30:34 PM »

You've to be so careful,girl in Holland &barrett told me to try red clover,I had to tell her you shouldn't take it if there's bc in family,who thought the menopause would cause so much grief 🤨

Sally S

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 08:47:31 PM »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/03/07/health/soy-foods-history-cancer-where-do-we-stand-explainer/index.html

This up to date link on soya may help.  😊.  I've never tried red clover, sage or black cohosh as I've not really had hot flushes.....I had what I think was a run of them in 2014, it was at nighttime but I had sinusitis at the time so it may have been that! 

jaypo

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 09:24:21 PM »

Wow,that was interesting,still seems confusing though,can it be good for some cancers but not for others?
I'm one of those people who try to ignore some of these studies as if we listened to them all we'd stop eating and drinking EVERYTHING.
We can only do our best 😟

Sally S

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »

You're right, we can only make ourselves as informed as possible by looking at/receiving the right info and do what we think is best for us! Some of the studies aren't even worth reading I bet, but it's always worth looking at the author as some will be written by people who are trying to promote what they are manufacturing so it will always be biased!

Sally S

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 10:35:54 PM »

Yes of course, Sparkle. The company is Bionutri and the supplement is called EcoDophilus.  It contains a combination of four strains of Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria- kefir, acidophilus, bulgaricus and bifidum.  I bought them from NatureDoc shop.  Next day delivery!  I've found them to beneficial and gentle on the stomach unlike others I have taken in the past and it put me off them for a few years. Since taking these I've had no IBS type symptoms or bloating.  Highly recommend.  I feel if Dr Newson takes them then they must be worth it!  X

Sally S

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 11:26:50 PM »

No worries, I hope you get on with these.  There's apparently a reason these are effective....I think not all probiotics are effective.  I can't remember the explanation Dr Newson gave....,think it was to do with the way they go through your digestive system and can then be utilised better in your stomach.