Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HS 2  (Read 6380 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
HS 2
« on: October 25, 2018, 08:59:05 AM »

:'(. sadly this is going ahead.  It means ruining 5 Sites of Scientific Interest as well as demolition of homes, some which have been in families for over 200 years.  One family spent 8 years renovating there GradeII* listed property, 18 months later it was compulsory purchased.  They are left with very little  :'( :'(

I watched 15 low loaders with huge earth moving equipment meandering through the villages last week on the way to the preparation sites.  I can't imagine how many low loaders actually went there ............. supposedly it is creating jobs yep: jobs for skilled workers who will do this job then move to the next, not jobs for locals!!!

So enjoy your landscape whilst you can.  SSI are paid for by the Tax Payer.  It's a piece of paper which apparently means absolutely zilch.   Peoples' objections and opinions means absolutely zilch.  The train won't be stopping across this particular region anyway ..... and at the last count, there were 8 people that would regularly benefit.

Taz2

Re: HS 2
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »

I hope they stick to the Green Corridor which the Wildlife Trusts have worked so hard to get put in place https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/hs2

Change is inevitable of course.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 11:02:56 AM »

Not inevitable!   Why should they plough through the green and pleasant land which 1,000s have properties and livelihoods for a handful of people?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 07:55:08 PM »

Because 'looking after the environment' is only when it suits them (politicians of any colour). Fracking, expanion of air travel, 60% self-sufficient in food yet every bit of prime agricultural land is seen as a potential buidling site (they never build on poor land), building more and more roads, the list is endless. SSSI and National Park restrictions only apply when the land owner wants to do something, never when it's the government. Living in the North I used to think HS2 was a good thing. Now I think it would be better spent connecting the Northern cities. HS2 will only make a more London-centric country.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »

You have put it eloquently,  :thankyou:

Also how many of those pushing for HS2 will actually use it?  If the tax payer were to make more fuss about this than about the possibilities that might/not happen surrounding Brexit  :-X  .........

Perinowpost

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »

We had to sell my husbands house for much less than it was worth because HS2 are coming through the village. Had he stayed he would have been given £7000 compensation, but as he had met and married (and moved in with) me by then he had to take the hit, so didn't even get that!

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »

If the tax payer were to make more fuss about this than about the possibilities that might/not happen surrounding Brexit  :-X  .........

Oh CLKD, You really have put my blood pressure up with that comment :o

Coming from a county (Kent) that in the past few decades has had to contend with the building of the M20 and also the construction of the Eurostar line and HS1 we know all about the problems of this sort of construction.  Needless to say I don't know of anyone who know says it is a problem now. 

However, we are now looking forward to 'operation stack', possibly indefinitely, all because of the wonderful BREXIT.  Now, in case you don't know 'operation stack' is horrendous.  The last time we had an extended period of this was 2015.  All traffic from the M20 for about a 30 mile stretch is diverted onto other roads.  People can't get to medical appointments, work, school etc., let alone shopping.  My mother died in 2015 and we nearly didn't make it to the funeral.

If you are telling the people of Kent that they should be more worried about HS2 than BREXIT you are very much mistaken.  >:(

Sorry if I sound angry, but I am.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:41:57 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 01:59:16 PM »

It's OK - I'm angry about the various Governments of the day from years back.  But haven't the energy to follow through  :'(

Now there is a 'dig' to move coffins because the station will be built on top .... so final resting place it ain't!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »

As an aside:

Fracking has been suspended at a site in Lancashire after the British Geological Survey (BGS) recorded an earthquake of 0.8 magnitude.

Drilling for shale gas at Preston New Road in Little Plumpton was given the green light on 15 October, despite strong opposition.
Energy firm Cuadrilla said it would halt fracking operations for 18 hours.

A spokesman said the "tiny movements" could not be felt "much less cause any harm or damage".
The seismic activity was detected by the BGS at about 11:30 BST and is classed as a "red" event on the traffic light monitoring system regulated by the Oil and Gas Authority.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 04:05:28 PM »

Already over-budget by £B apparently but no one will admit to how much thus far  >:(

People still waiting to get compensation 4 properties and beautiful areas are being grubbed up, even though they have 'SSSI' stamped across them.   :'(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:07:59 PM by CLKD »

Shadyglade

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »

The trouble is Northern areas complain they are left out but when offered better communication links they complain about that. That's just hard cheese I'm afraid.

We have had all that upheaval in Kent, over the years. The M20 motorway and the Eurostar/HS1. Both right through the centre of the county.

Like you say about Brexit, it will all come out in the wash.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »

This needed have got the go ahead though.  It isn't people in the North complaining - it isn't reaching the North, it is cutting across supposedly protected sites in the Midlands as well as causing graves to be dug up in London ......... no such thing as a final resting place then.  Why should the UK have to fund such a White Elephant. 

Perinowpost

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 10:08:16 PM »

It is going north to Leeds..  It is cutting through Wakefield (Crofton to be exact), we've got friends there who are devastated by it, they bought a new house there and are now in negative equity with no hope of selling or even getting back what they paid x

Shadyglade

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »

Personally I am too worried about Brexit to bother with HS2. Brexit will affect everyone not just those on the train route. I don't remember the rest of the county protesting when Kent was carved up.

dahliagirl

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 10:18:36 AM »

I thought it was only going as far as Birmingham for the time being.

By the time it reaches the North of England, at the rate it is going, I will be long gone. :-X  and hopefully not buried anywhere along the route
Pages: [1] 2